Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

41 - 60 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
This bike sounds already so well and so much to add with the missing item from Honda ( center stand, heated grip, crash bars,....) I would put my cash on something else, pipe sound great.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Lolllll love the vid :) they did woke up 😴😂
So many people walk on the red light if it’s a bike🧟*♂🧟*♀🧟*♂🧟*♀🤯👎🙈🙈🙈
Love the sounds to

·
Registered
3 Posts
Anyone who has to resort to straight pipes iscompensating for something. Edward Abbeyonce described pilots of overpowered 4x4 pickups as "suffering from somesort of penis problem". Similarvein here.
Claims of loud pipes saving lives is ridiculous, since youreally don't hear them in a car until they're next to you (the noise, for themost part, is unidirectional). It reallypisses me and fellow hikers off when we're 2 or 3 miles away from the nearesthighway, on the Long Trail, and you can still hear these idiots with theiroverpriced, underperforming, pieces of junk chugging up Route 4. Similarly, it makes life miserable for any home owner within 3 to 6 blocksof a highway. Apparently, some of theseguys actually revel in frightening old ladies. One word for such a person: Jerk.
Other than these gentle observations, I think they're justducky.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I agree that over loud bikes makes it worse for the biking community as a whole.
I understand opening up the exhaust so that the engine does not have excessive back pressure but there is a limit to the amount of noise that is acceptable. Any bike operator has the moral obligation to keep to a decent noise level. If you need to make noise to get peoples attention that I would suggest a loud horn, it works great!
Ever had a neighbor with a very loud bike? It is not generally liked when it is fired up at 3am by anyone. Personally, I do not really care but the general population does. This is why it is the bike operator that must take responsibility to not piss off the general population when it is not needed. It hurts us all.

Anyone who has to resort to straight pipes iscompensating for something. Edward Abbeyonce described pilots of overpowered 4x4 pickups as "suffering from somesort of penis problem". Similarvein here.
Claims of loud pipes saving lives is ridiculous, since youreally don't hear them in a car until they're next to you (the noise, for themost part, is unidirectional). It reallypisses me and fellow hikers off when we're 2 or 3 miles away from the nearesthighway, on the Long Trail, and you can still hear these idiots with theiroverpriced, underperforming, pieces of junk chugging up Route 4. Similarly, it makes life miserable for any home owner within 3 to 6 blocksof a highway. Apparently, some of theseguys actually revel in frightening old ladies. One word for such a person: Jerk.
Other than these gentle observations, I think they're justducky.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Over loud pipes are a pain in the arse, generally found on bikes owned by people who can’t ride but want to be seen as a fashion statement. Pedestrians don't know where they are coming from and are generally too preoccupied to notice anything on the road anyway. Riders in towns should expect people to walk out from behind buses and stationary traffic, keep your fingers covering the brake and clutch when in town.

As for the comment by JEPomer “I don't appreciate ANY vehicle (motorcycle, bicycle, pedestrian, etc.) splitting lanes because I don't expect any one to be their”.

Sorry, but if you live in a country where filtering (lane splitting) is legal then what’s the problem? If you can’t manage that then either don’t ride/drive or learn to do so properly. In town I filter all the time, most drivers move over for you if you don’t take the piss. On motorways (freeways) you go up the line between the outside two lanes in slow/stationary traffic as car drivers expect you to be there, not the inside lanes where truck drivers can’t see you properly. And always cover the brake and clutch for the BMW or Mercedes driver switching lanes with no warning or indicating. I managed over 10 years riding in London and never hit a pedestrian and as a youngster (back then) I was not exactly slow and patient in traffic.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Depends where you are. While a topic of interest in Thailand, the consensus is lounder, but not excessive pipes are better. The culture toward motorcyclists is very different where most car drivers refuse to give way and will openly force a rider into a difficult position. I personally have been deliberately sideswiped by two cars that wanted to cut into my lane. You cannot adopt the same riding standards as the UK or the US here as you have to ride very defensively. Some riders in Thailand say you can. But I guarantee if they ride often enough obeying speed limits etc, they won't live long.

Unfortunately here, most uneducated drivers assume a biker (as in scooter rider) is from a lower cast, so to speak, and they should give way at all times to a more expensive car. However, most drivers fail to realise bikes such as the Africa Twin is the same price as the average family car. If you're on a GS or KTM twice as much as the average family car. It is only when you are sitting on their lap having gone through the screen that they **** themselves and assume you must have some money behind you to ride a bike more expensive than their car.

I have changed my horn to a dual one but a rev bomb always gets me noticed from the car cutting into me. This says bigger bike, expensive, and not a scooter rider they presume is inferior to them. Crazy, I know, but that's the way it is.

There are some very noisy Harleys and some 125cc bike with crazy loud exhausts. But my Termignoni is a throaty sound which I like and so do the neighbours. The mother-in-law's only complaint it the note isn't as loud as my Versys with Scorpion taper.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Stupid loud is obnoxious.

I hate the smell of in burned fuel. Most people with aftermarket pipes screw It up trying to eliminate the EPA lean spot. Pretty hard these days to privately remap a FI system.

I’d rather just ride until the stock pipe rusts off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a Yoshimura RS4 on my last bike, a 2012 Super Tenere. Everyone said it sounded great and I thought the same. However, it would annoy the **** out of me on long trips. I think I'll keep the stock exhaust on my new 2017 AT.

·
Registered
387 Posts
where is the poll?
why is this topic always at the top of the most popular list when it's only 5 pages long?

In my face every time I log in so I have to comment.

I hate loud pipes - 96db or less with a spark arrestor or don't ride anywhere near civilization or in the bush.

Loud pipes piss people off, wake the dead, cause grannies in wheelchairs to toss their cane at your spokes, and the old guy with the walker to claim in his day he's kick the bike over and wipe the riders face in the gutter for making ungodly noise.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have second hand KTM 640 Adventure with an Akrapovic exhaust which the previous owner took out the cone and lost it. It's so loud I get tired in less than 100 kilometers of riding.
Yup, I've heard them say "it prevents accidents" and I ask "why not a loud horn?..." So on my Husky 650 Strada, I decided to put a really loud horn (to avoid accidents and let people know my presence)...then when I have had to use it especially on occasions of when you have to drive through a small town market area (in the Philippines) where it's like a zoo with rabid animals, same thing as a loud exhaust...noooo, not that...same headache from the loud noise! :laugh::laugh:

As for my AT, I think the stock exhaust gives a real nice throaty sound. I just need a louder horn than the beep-beep it's got!

·
Registered
465 Posts
I just finished installing the SC Project GP65 exhaust and my initial response was..."Eh, I was expecting it to be louder. Oh, wait what's this...a DB killer?"

DB killer removed..."HOLY RACE PIPE, BATMAN!!!"

I am one happy customer!!! :)

Did someone mention horn? LOL Are you going to place your thumb on the horn the whole time you're riding? LOL

From someone who commutes in heavy traffic in a cage, there are times when I'm glad said motorcyclist had a loud exhaust. Motorcycles are hard to make out especially at night. Period!

·
Registered
13 Posts
From someone who commutes in heavy traffic in a cage, there are times when I'm glad said motorcyclist had a loud exhaust. Motorcycles are hard to make out especially at night. Period!
Agreed, I also commute in heavy traffic but always on motorcycle and I think it's better to get the attention of other drivers around, not that I'm driving like an ******* in traffic but people gets distracted for that purpose I like to have loud (not excessive) pipes but I hate when dudes just rev up the bike like they were on a 1/4 mile drag, annoying !!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Personally, I find loud pipes annoying and believe they give motorcyclists a bad reputation.

But they don't bug me that much. I'd much rather listen to a motorcyclist with loud pipes than some cager playing explicit rap music (M'er F'er this, M'er F'er that) loud enough to rattle the body work. :eek:

41 - 60 of 91 Posts