Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

61 - 80 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Loud pipes are fine. Loud Harleys are obnoxious though, and it doesn't even sound good. I avoided loud pipes when I had sports bikes because it's better to walk quietly with a big stick, especially when the highway patrol are as rabid as they are here. The Africa Twin sounds pretty good stock, although I might get a louder pipe for it at some point.

·
Registered
70 Posts
While I personally love loud pipes and some engines are music to my ears, the older I get the more I can understand why non-motorcycle riders think this noise is annoying. This is why I rebuilt one of my dirt bikes also to the stock exhaust.

With the Africa Twin I often ride in areas like National Parks etc.... especially people who hike and enjoy the nature normally don't want to hear the lovely twin engine and a lot of animals don't enjoy this too. That's why I keep the exhaust stock so far.
However, my knobby tires on my AT are much louder than the engine sound which I can't hear above 35mph anymore. lol. It's that loud that it really annoys me.

On a Harley I would install a louder pipe, it's just part of the culture.... in 20 years we all will ride electric bikes anyways ;-)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think they are extremely obnoxious.... I know they said they save lives, but I think it actually causes a little road rage as well from other drivers who have never ridden a bike and don't understand that. What ultimately saves lives is for squids to stop going 100 mph +, for new riders to learn to ride (especially counter steer), and to always drive defensively and alert. I have nothing against after market pipes, but I like the idea of keeping my Anniv edition AT as stock as possible and never selling it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I like to whisper through the countryside leaving those who value their peace alone.
Then, not often, I get to give it the "beans" and that why I like the AT exhaust note.
I can adjust the volume depending on the environment.
Just me.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Rather than give my (a biker) opinion on loud pipes, I can offer a recent anecdote as to how people can react to loud pipes.

I recently returned from a Colorado trip with a friend who was riding a Kawasaki ZX10R fitted with a Yoshimura performance exhaust system. Above 13k feet on Pikes Peak road his bike really started to struggle (the AT barely noticed the altitude, BTW) and he had to keep revving up and feathering the clutch in first gear just not to stall. To boot, we had to keep passing people who were doing 5 mph and/or stopping on the road to take pictures.

Both earned us two (top and midway) very rude, patronizing, and angry talking to by the rangers. Apparently it is very easy to call them and everyone in the mountain seemed to have called about the hooligans racing on the mountain. Mind you, we were doing 10/15 mph passing people doing 5 mph. My friend, though, was making a huge racket and we can all picture what people were hearing from the vantage point of their car windows. For the non-bikers he was just showboating and being a dickhead but I strongly believe that there was a lot of pre-existing bias that just triggered all the SJW in people when they hear loud bike exhausts.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I like quiet pipes. Have always been fascinated by the sound of a large bike just gliding past without setting off car alarms. Think of the GS1200 stock, sounds like grandmas sewing machine going by.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I absolutely hate loud pipes.

On my latest Varadero I installed the Remus Hexacones because I loved the looks. The noise was such that I removed them and sold them within 4 days!

to my taste, the noise the ATAS emmits is way too much also. For the first time since I am ridding motorcycles (some 30+ years), I am using ear plugs!

If only there would be a silencer that would bring down the noise but not affect the performance....

·
Registered
330 Posts
More surprising you’re not half deaf after riding bikes for 30+ years with no hearing protection.

Hi Davy; well, honestly, for some pecculiar reason maybe, we do not use hearing protection in Greece, at least not with this type of motorcycles. I know a lot of motorcyclists and traveled with even more all those years. No one but only one! wore earplugs.

Using them now, I see what I have been missing! For some reason, I did not suffer any hearring loss all those years (ok, any more than the one that comes with age, I suppose), but now the rides are so much more relaxed.

I understand it is a habbit abroad; a very good habbit, as it seems.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Most After market exhausts sound ok but the worst of the bunch ( ridiculously loud ) always seem to end up attached to Harley’s, good friend of mine is a big Harley fan and he has “ thunder headers “ on two of his bikes, when I have been out for a ride with him I have to drop back a fair distance because of the terrible noise trying to follow him and when I caught up with him at lights etc I have stalled my bike when lights changed as I couldn’t hear a thing from my own bike. I have also ridden his road glide with “ thunder header “ and had to turn around and hand it back after a few hundred metres, can’t for the life of me figure out how riding the thing is enjoyable but he tours on it and wears an open face lid with no earplugs. He now suffers terrible tinnitus but insists it’s down to wind noise and not the pipes, he has even ordered another set of those pipes for his latest bike, he always tells me that loud pipes save lives. Anyone thinking of fitting straight through pipes better acquaint themselves with the effects of tinnitus first.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Had loud pipes on all my bike for 35 yrs. Finally put a stereo on and went back to stock pipes. At 55 I now like QUIET better along with some music when cruising.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
I would have vote but when I clicked on the link and went to the vote page the page would not let me check the radio button

61 - 80 of 91 Posts