·
Registered
115 Posts
Yoshi on mine, open pipes on my harley’s. At 52 i still like to hear the bikes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
97 Posts
The poll has been closed for a long time now. People just keep adding their comments.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Most of you get it. It’s simple physics. Which way do the straight pipes point? In which direction do the pressure waves propagate? In which direction is the bike moving? I see the DOBs (Dicks On Bikes) - on their Harleys or similar excuses for a motorcycle that the vast majority of the riders have no idea how to ride - way before I hear them. Especially, if they have good LED lighting. I wish the States that have noise laws would enforce them. It’s irritating as **** to have to be subjected to stupid through my already bad ears. Also, can someone explain how these guys ride down the freeway with no helmet with straight pipes doing 70 mph or more and not have a migraine and be deaf after they get off?

·
Registered
166 Posts
I was riding with a friend, doing 70mph on a congested highway (183 in Austin). He likes to use his loud pipes like horns, and will blip his throttle to get drivers attention. He wanted to cut between a couple of cars, and I backed off while watching him try to crowd a minivan over. He blipped his throttle, startled the minivan driver who swerved (but didn't leave their lane). He swerved to get away from them and his front wheel clipped the bumper of the truck in front of him - and he hit the pavement at 70mph in traffic. At least he's shut up about the loud pipes save lives bit.

I equate most of the people that like the loud pipes as being the king of people that use the little compressed air horns and like to startle people with them.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
(*grumble*) My 2 cents ...

To rely on other's reaction for "your safety" is a flawed presumption. Everyone will have a differing response - probably most will freeze in their spot, but others could be unpredictable (e.g. be startled and make a bad move, or worse, get a heart attack).

Secondly, it is irresponsible, immature, selfish, and rather harsh on the environment (i.e. other living creatures in the environment). Basically, obnoxiously loud pipes infringes on the "rights" of others who would otherwise not think of doing the same to the noise violator.

I will stop with these constructive points because beyond this, it could get emotional. >:)

81 - 91 of 91 Posts