Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, 6 weeks into ownership and a mere <300 miles covered, yesterday my bike wouldn't start. Bought a lithium optimate and it went through the recovery and diagnostic process, after 4 hrs it declared the battery permanently damaged (according to the handbook).

For the length of ownership of a brand new bike I am seriously gutted. Had a big ride planned and now I have to get the bike recovered to Honda.

Last rode the bike on a long journey 2 weeks ago. Did nothing silly like leave keys in etc. Yes, it has a tracker (fitted by Honda) but I've had trackers on all my bikes without issue.

Fuming, disappointed, and frustrated all in one.:mad::(:cry:

·
Super Moderator
9,660 Posts
Hmm, that is indeed a dawg's breakfast let down.

Sadly, it could simply be a lemon cell in the battery. Overall, the onboard battery management system is supposed to protect under and overvoltage situations from reaching the internal cells. So even if some stray system on the bike drew too much "idle time" current (e.g. 200 mA), the battery would simply "shutdown", unlike lead acid batteries that continue to drain.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Local Honda dealer has the battery and is going to run diagnostics themselves on it and I will get my bike recovered to them via Honda Assist. Was prepared to buy another battery from them to save today's ride until they told me the cost (thieving wotsits). I thought Ducati's were supposed to misbehave, but never had an issue with them or my BMW.

·
Administrator
4,017 Posts
I wouldn't put this on Honda yet. It could just be the battery, it happens and warranty should cover it.
Likely the case. I had the battery tested on my 2019 since it was coming up on 3 years old and it tested just fine. But unfortunately a lemon can happen with any product.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
4,017 Posts
It's crazy the price of that. It's a proprietary size and maybe a proprietary design. But dang that's a lot of money for a battery.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
560 Posts
I walked past this shop on a visit to a mate in Southend Essex UK area and I can assure you it does exist but whether it can help you I don't know. It was shut at the time and I was gone the next day... ANTIGRAVITYBATTERIES.NET I know they sell M/C lithium though and their prices start from £130...just in case you don't get any joy...

·
Registered
560 Posts
I have the tracker fitted on my 2018 with a lithium battery and have to make sure that if the bike isnt used in 10 days then I have to charge it . In fact the first tracker fitted had to be replaced as it was reporting that its battery was flat as well as draining the bikes battery.
I've got a 2019 with a tracker fitted and my battery gets drained quickly too...even though it's not connected to the tracker website....

·
Super Moderator
9,660 Posts
I've got a 2019 with a tracker fitted and my battery gets drained quickly too...even though it's not connected to the tracker website....
Not sure how the tracker is implemented, however, if Mothership isn't listening, then the baby bear will keep trying to be heard (i.e. radio "pings" aren't free).

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I walked past this shop on a visit to a mate in Southend Essex UK area and I can assure you it does exist but whether it can help you I don't know. It was shut at the time and I was gone the next day... ANTIGRAVITYBATTERIES.NET I know they sell M/C lithium though and their prices start from £130...just in case you don't get any joy...
Thank you good sir

·
Registered
560 Posts
Not sure how accessible the device is, but maybe consider installing an inline power switch or connector?
Thanks DT what a great idea. I did look at it and it all looked too complicated for me to mess about with. The makers state it has to be fitted or removed by their people. I suppose if it was easy to connect/disconnect it would defeat the idea of it?

·
Super Moderator
9,660 Posts
Thanks DT what a great idea. I did look at it and it all looked too complicated for me to mess about with. The makers state it has to be fitted or removed by their people. I suppose if it was easy to connect/disconnect it would defeat the idea of it?
I reckon protection is limited by being locked under the seat? (I actually don't know where it is)

So a would-be thief would just yank the device out if they can quickly get under the seat - or wherever it is hopefully protected.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts