Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't figure out where it's coming from or what's causing it. Only recently started and now more frequent. We've done about 4K miles if that is of help.

·
Registered
975 Posts
When I shift my weight around I get a significant 'pop' sound that is a bit unnerving. It's my seat. Which is really odd.

·
Registered
975 Posts
You're right, it's likely a bodily explosion. Second would be the seat or at least you can blame it on the seat rather than a dog, duck or spouse.>:)

You either fart too much or there is an air leak which is being drawn into the exhaust system.

M

·
Registered
103 Posts
I got a pop-pop-pop yesterday while splitting traffic in first gear. The bike has 255 miles on it, so I'm a bit concerned.

This was definitely from the factory exhaust system and nothing else...

·
Registered
480 Posts
I got a pop-pop-pop yesterday while splitting traffic in first gear. The bike has 255 miles on it, so I'm a bit concerned.

it is just the over lean fuelling to meet emission regs, it is not a fault, no need for concern.

·
Registered
975 Posts
That's normal. With aftermarket exhaust you get popping on deceleration quite a lot.

Any updates? Seat? Arse? Seat and arse? None of the above?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Just the normal pop on the overrun. I quite like it. I assume it is unspent fuel exploding somewhere in the exhaust system. I am sure someone can come up with the technical explanation. I should imagine it is a small scale of where the 'rudeboys' switch off whilst coasting and then switch on to a loud explosion from their car exhaust.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Guys, I know I fart a lot but I don't think it's that? I also don't think it's coming from the exhaust , though I know what you mean with that. It seems to be from the front and a can't recreate it with any one action. Very strange, not bothered by it just interested to find what causes it. Suspension somehow?In the meantime I'll keep on farting and loving riding the AT?

·
Registered
103 Posts
FWIW, the bike is 100% stock except for a swegotech, batzen adjuster and ALTrider skidplate.

Not certain any of those are causing the exhaust to pop.

·
Registered
114 Posts
What type of fuel do you use?
The major brands ( shell, chevron and mobil ) or the cheaper brands ( 76, arco and costco )
I use 91 octane, personal preference ( shell )
It might just be me being anal but the Africa doesn't seem to digest the cheaper brands well and seems to make more noise
I have 12k miles on my AT

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You raise a good point and I agree, the AT does not like cheap fuel. I did experience a near complete cut out which I could only attribute to cheap fuel and maybe abit of water had got into the tank. I had done a couple of supermarket fill ups previously. Only shell or equivalent now. Not however the cause of popping so the mystery continues.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm having this issue on occasion not the popping and crackling you get from the exhaust when it's a bit lean I do believe it's a backfire into the throttle body and it's still due to being lean but lean down low not up high. As it happens at low revs sub 2k to me not at 3k+ so a very lean idle mixture to meet emissions regs. My 450 has a backfire screen on the oiled air filter to prevent this from igniting my filter.

Best fix would be a proper remap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
480 Posts
Reactions: Nusk450x

·
Registered
91 Posts
Guys, I know I fart a lot but I don't think it's that? I also don't think it's coming from the exhaust , though I know what you mean with that. It seems to be from the front and a can't recreate it with any one action. Very strange, not bothered by it just interested to find what causes it. Suspension somehow?In the meantime I'll keep on farting and loving riding the AT?
I get this too. Some sort of minor popping noise coming from what seems to be the front end on stop/starts. Like the front fork or tire is popping intermittently in those situations. Anyone else figure out what this is?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good morning. Bought an AT about a month ago and after only 300 miles my seat is making the popping sound on deceleration. I am sure it's not from the exhaust because I have re-created it when the engine is off and I shift my weight forward on the seat. I have the upper position selected for the seat because I'm a tall guy and can use the room. I'll switch the seat position and post the results.

·
Registered
112 Posts
What type of fuel do you use?
The major brands ( shell, chevron and mobil ) or the cheaper brands ( 76, arco and costco )
Do you have a reference for 76 being worse than Shell?

I recently switched from Shell to 76 because the location of the 76 is more convenient. I saw in the Consumer Reports link below that both are listed as "Top Tier" brands so I thought I was safe making the switch.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-maintenance/study-shows-top-tier-gasoline-worth-extra-price/

·
Registered
34 Posts
I get the same popping sound from the front of my seat as well. Can only assume it is the lug on the front of seat moving in the loop on the tank. I have removed and refitted the seat numerous times and can not get it to stop. Happens more on take off than stopping.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts