Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I headed out last Friday, went from Portland through Madras, skipped Bend and rode through the eastern edge of the "China Hat" riding area to Fort Rock, then down to Hart Mountain to camp for the night via Hogback road out of Paisley. Then rode from there through NV to Great Basin National Park for night 2, the road from Carlin to Ely was wonderful. Then from GBNP, I went through Beaver, up and over Highway 153 to Junction, then up through Torrey (amazeballs) and back down to Moab. I spent two nights at "Base Camp Adventure Lodge" which is over the Hurrah pass (pictured with sunset), riding "Chicken Corner" the next day. I left Moab, headed down through Cortez to Ship Rock (Pictured), then down to Quemado, over to Socorro, Roswell, then San Angelo. Holy crap this is a lot of miles.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 ATAS
39 Posts
Pretty badass! Me and a buddy went counter clockwise but hit some of the same spots. Mexican Hat AZ to Cortez to Moab to Torrey to Zion. Beautiful country and desolate. We did it mid-July because we're not very bright. The heat was brutal. What tires are you riding?

Reactions: QFW181

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pretty badass! Me and a buddy went counter clockwise but hit some of the same spots. Mexican Hat AZ to Cortez to Moab to Torrey to Zion. Beautiful country and desolate. We did it mid-July because we're not very bright. The heat was brutal. What tires are you riding?
Goldentyre 723R's. Got an inch long gash in the rear in Moab. Patched the tube and made it to Quemado, NM after also doing Chicken Corner trail. The tube rubbed against the gash enough to start losing air. I patched the tire from the inside and patched the HD tube that had taken the first poke (I didn't think it would be saveable) and got it to Roswell, NM. That 723R Had exactly 2,000 miles on it at that time, from riding around in Portland to getting to Roswell, and I think I could have gone another 500 miles on it, road only. Superb off-road. The front is a "fatty 100/90 or 90/100 whatever the tall version is, 723R as well. It makes the bike handle like a truck on the road, but HOLY CRAP was it invincible over the nasty stuff in Moab. You just literally have to ride the bike like a dirtbike on hard-pack, pushing it down into corners and steering with the rear when on pavement.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I headed out last Friday, went from Portland through Madras, skipped Bend and rode through the eastern edge of the "China Hat" riding area to Fort Rock, then down to Hart Mountain to camp for the night via Hogback road out of Paisley. Then rode from there through NV to Great Basin National Park for night 2, the road from Carlin to Ely was wonderful. Then from GBNP, I went through Beaver, up and over Highway 153 to Junction, then up through Torrey (amazeballs) and back down to Moab. I spent two nights at "Base Camp Adventure Lodge" which is over the Hurrah pass (pictured with sunset), riding "Chicken Corner" the next day. I left Moab, headed down through Cortez to Ship Rock (Pictured), then down to Quemado, over to Socorro, Roswell, then San Angelo. Holy crap this is a lot of miles.
...maybe I missed it....you did make it to CS....I'm in Georgetown....Gig'Em (y)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
...maybe I missed it....you did make it to CS....I'm in Georgetown....Gig'Em (y)
Sorry, was too busy doing the thing to report on the thing, been to CS and back as of yesterday. Will post pics and a ride report soon.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So, the puncture I got in Moab ended up being so large that the new tube poked through the hole and eventually wore away on the sharp needles of radial belt and finally failed after ~500 miles. I had to fix that, twice, before I was able to make it from where I discovered it in Quemado, NM to Roswell, NM where I had a tire installed. It was a Kenda K270, because that was all that was available and I needed to get home. That tire chunked up, not surprisingly, quickly. If you ever want a scary, spooky, crazy feeling stupid experience, put one of those on a fully laden adventure bike. It got me home, but just barely. I then went to TJ's cycle in Austin while I was visiting CS and got a Motoz Tractionator of some sort, not the adventure, the knobblier one. The bike was perfect the entire time, works like a dream. So comfy, 500 mile days are ridiculously easy.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I left CS, went up to Dallas to see some fam, then headed to Caprock Canyon state park between Lubbock and Amarillo. 10/10 cool spot (for Texas especially) and would love to go back. That is the top pick in the last group. I then went to check out Cadillac ranch, then blasted the 40 until Tucumcari, where I picked up 104 to Las Vegas, NM. That was rad, guard rail pic #1 is on that road. Then up through Fanta Se, past Los Alamos (guard rail pic #2) and up into the Jemez Mountains to Jemez Falls campground. Most excellent.

·
Registered
11 Posts
So I left CS, went up to Dallas to see some fam, then headed to Caprock Canyon state park between Lubbock and Amarillo. 10/10 cool spot (for Texas especially) and would love to go back. That is the top pick in the last group. I then went to check out Cadillac ranch, then blasted the 40 until Tucumcari, where I picked up 104 to Las Vegas, NM. That was rad, guard rail pic #1 is on that road. Then up through Fanta Se, past Los Alamos (guard rail pic #2) and up into the Jemez Mountains to Jemez Falls campground. Most excellent.
You have a very well sorted AT there...!!!
If you get the time....are you willing to give a menu of what you have done with it [add ons]...??
Stock seat still etc etc.
Sounds like a very good trip....[except the tire].

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
You have a very well sorted AT there...!!!
If you get the time....are you willing to give a menu of what you have done with it [add ons]...??
Stock seat still etc etc.
Sounds like a very good trip....[except the tire].
Oh jeez. Straight up full disclosure I work as the Technical Support Manager for www.sw-motech.us. So, there is very little that is on that bike that isn't SW-Motech. In fact, the ONLY thing from the entire SW-Motech catalog specifically for this bike that isn't on it is a rear brake fluid container guard.

So, start here:

Full Adventure Set (luggage)

Full Adventure Set (Protection)

Then a bunch of other SW-Motech things like the folding tip shift lever, kickstand enlarging pad, mirror extenders, center stand, spot lights, exhaust shields, RAM mount, footpeg extenders, two Drybag 80's for each side of the front of the bike. I am sure there is more but you get the gist.

I use the SW-Motech City tank bag, the bag in these pictures is a pre-production "pro" version of City tank bag that will be available in Late November early December.

What is not SW-Motech:

Honda factory Quick Shifter / Auto-Blipper (first mod, 100% worth whatever the cost)

Honda factory Heated Grips (Should come stock, ridiculous that they don't, 100% worth the cost)

Akrapovic Full system:

I am not big on loud exhausts, but I really wanted to cut weight after adding so much and this worked well to reduce it by ~11 lbs. Not necessary, left the spark arrestors in, sounds fantastic, adds to the experience. Also it just looks so **** good. I had to put some plastic protection on the side carrier as the exhaust just touches it when under load.

Exhaust Protector:

Mirrors:

I have had this Airhawk for many miles and many bikes, and it suits the AT down to the wires because I can put the stock seat in the "lowered" position and then use this pad without it putting me too far up:

The only seat provided by any manufacturer for any motorcycle ever in the history of motorcycles is the comfort seat made for a Ducati ST3, which I had on my 140,000 mile ST2. Corbin seats are BS, had one on my 50,000 mile CBR600F2 20 years ago, Sargent are meh, total compromise. The only real way to manage a seat is to have someone build one with a gel pad. This would be the way to go if not using an Airhawk: Rich's Custom Seats

I bought the bike used with 1000 miles on it and the first service done already. It had a Honda tall winscreen on it that was AWFUL. Put the standard one on immediately and it was great. Optical clarity was bad, the way the wind hit me was bad, hated it. Still have it, might cut it down.

It had an "Outback Motortek" center stand on it. This was one of the worst engineered products I had ever encountered on a bike of this level. The stand required me to kick it to retract all the way, and the geometry was such that I was barely able to get it onto the stand with no bags on the bike. I will never consider any of their products based on that part alone. I would say the same darn thing without my SW-Motech hat on.

It had the stock Honda rear rack on it. Removed that to put on the SW-Motech Adventure rack. It had Black Dog Footpegs on it, which are bad-ass and I kept them as spares once I put on the stock pegs with the SW-Motech plates.

I raised the front fender 1.5 inches to accomodate a Goldentyre "Fatty 90/100-21 front knobby. I had to make a bunch of brackets and grind away at parts of the fender to make that happen. Stock gearing, adjusted the suspension (in on compression/rebound on both ends, plenty of spring preload on both ends). I weigh about 175, probably 25lbs of gear with hydration pack.

After doing this journey, which was 5,300 miles with probably 100 miles of fairly gnarly off-road, there isn't one thing that I have put on the bike that I will take off or didn't use. I love this bike, it is a **** freight train on-road and remarkably good off-road with a full load. I might be tempted to put an Ohlins shock on it to make it a little plusher off road.

QW

1 - 20 of 24 Posts