Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I've been a nearly AT owner on and off since the CRF came out , bad timing in my bike ownership cycle has kept me from that and still does for the moment. My history with big adv bikes started with a 1150GSA 2002 (pre ewan/charley ) . I traded that for a KTM950Adv after the big Bim let me down on a tour of Northern Spain and BM services were a huge let down (I ended up bodging my own repairs). I didn't realise with 1st yr KTMs the owners were beta testers , though once I'd ironed some carb crinkles it was a good bike, until early wear water pump issues surfaced. I avoided further Adv bike ownership for a few years until tempted by Tenere 660, which was good but gutless, so that led to a XT1200Z 1st Ed SuperTenere. That bike was a boat anchor but it just got on with doing without drama or fuss. I owned that for 4 and a bit years until tempted by new bike fever. At this point the new AT was rumoured but not confirmed and had it appeared then I'd have been an early adopter. At the same time KTM appeared to have fixed most of the bugs in the 1190 Adv (took them 3 years) so I traded the S10, for an R version. I tried to love the big KT but it felt flat under 6k rpm and nearly unusable at WOT over 6k, due it wanting to tankslap . It also didn't make a good long haul ride as it was vibey. That was departed and since then I've been Adv bike less with the most recent ride acquisition being a CB1100RS , a rose tinted nod to my spotty youth. So at some point I may get an AT into the garage when I get to my next bike swap cycle , though not this or maybe next year (or until I thin the herd ) . So figure I'll lurk and learn whilst lusting over the new Adv Sports version . So at risk of upsetting some is the AT a good update for the old KTM 950 Adv? It does seem closer to the old KT than other bikes and I mean that in a good way , barring the reliablilty issues I think the 950 was a good compromise big adv bike (better than the 1190 versions ).

·
Registered
114 Posts
The Africa Twin has a strong motor, a 21" front wheel, a real dirt bike frame and real dirt bike manners. It is also fast, comfortable and fun to ride. I have never ridden the big KTMs so I have no idea how it compares to them.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Like Robert I have never ridden a KTM so can only give my honest opinion on the AT.

I owned Pan Europeans for 14 years but decided to go down the "adventure bike" route, I bought a Triumph Explorer 1200 as an additional bike and love it. I then decided to swap the Pan, went for a ride on a Tenere at my local Honda dealer - good bike, after the test I spotted their demo AT was up for sale so went out on that. Fell in love with how the AT handled, the slick gearbox and that engine sound ! Deal was done very quickly.

I now have both the Explorer and AT and for my needs it's the perfect combo, both bring a huge smile to my face.

I have done a very long tour on each. The Explorer is better on motorways with better wind protection and cruise control. The AT is certainly better on twisties and around town. Reliability on both is 100%.

Enjoy making the decision !

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have ridden the KTM 1190 r, and while the bike is a nut roasting beast, the maintenance intervals are in hours, not miles, and the fuel pump went out on the testride, stranding me. The seat height/high center of gravity combined with 150 HP make for an intense ride as well. I reccomend buying a stock model Africa Twin, not the Adventure Sport, and use the savings for outfitting. What the new Adventure Sport version does is make the bike more like a KTM, but without the power: The higher seat, 20 mm increased suspension, larger fuel tank, and heavier crash bars up high, make the bike feel like the KTM.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 1190R when ridden at normal/sedate pace on lanes seems to have too much weight on the front which just wanted to push. The Yam S10 was an easier bike to ride manage on green lanes than the 1190. Seeing there are still a few this version models at dealers in the UK looking for a home, unluckily the local Honda shop isn't offering much in the way of incentives and only has a candy red manual. If I were to get a current '17 model it would need to be a DCT in tricolour or at a push rally red. I'm still not sure I would given the spokes seem to corrode , and my location means that's a certainty, given how non stainless spokes have faired on previous wire wheeled bikes.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just popped into the local dealers and they have a manual Adventure Sport in... so had a quick chat and now on the list for ride of their demo DCT when it arrives (March probably) ...
I had a sit on the manual which had it seat in the default high position, from fading memory the saddle felt as high as my old KTM950Adventure which was the original tall version. I had both feet down (balls of my feet) wearing thin (ish) soled trainers and felt fine. I should be able to get more foot on the floor wearing my Sidi Adventures , ie able to flat foot easily with the other on the brake or gearshift footrest.

The Adventure sport does look frikkin lovely in the flesh and even the white painted frame looks good, I was expecting the frame colour to put me off being a bit of a tarts handbag colour . **** you temptation as a possible purchase means one bike out to get one bike in (no more room in the inn :/ . I'll have to see how I feel about it after a test ride.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well looks like the demo was a success for the dealer (and me) as I've agreed a deal on a AT AS DCT and just paid the deposit.. The AT AS is a tall bike with the saddle on high more down to peg location splaying my legs out further as the wanted to dangle where the pegs are, if I forgot to place them behind the peg. Having the saddle on low fixed that, & I didn't want to drop the dealer demo due to lack of familiarity though will try my bike on high once I get used to it, and develop some memory on where to put legs.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Happy days. Hope you enjoy the new bike. Looking at your first post and list of bikes...I'd just say, ride it and enjoy it. Don't compare its speed to the 150hp KTM, its comfort to the XTZ12 etc. ( I came to my DCT from a GS Adv so markedly different bikes altho both are black so MrsB probably has no idea I've swapped)

·
Registered
504 Posts
I’ve ridden the new 1290r KTM adventure bike Lots of power handles very nice ,like mentioned in other post the heat was very hot on my thighs not good. I currently own 2016 AT and very happy with this machine, just got back from a 14,000 mile trip with absolutely no problems. As all motorcycles there have been some problems with the AT but most are very minor. If you want a very fun bike do almost everything the Africa Twin is a great choice.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have ridden the KTM 1190 r, and while the bike is a nut roasting beast, the maintenance intervals are in hours, not miles, and the fuel pump went out on the testride, stranding me. The seat height/high center of gravity combined with 150 HP make for an intense ride as well. I reccomend buying a stock model Africa Twin, not the Adventure Sport, and use the savings for outfitting. What the new Adventure Sport version does is make the bike more like a KTM, but without the power: The higher seat, 20 mm increased suspension, larger fuel tank, and heavier crash bars up high, make the bike feel like the KTM.
Cehanska I didn't really have much to add/respond until I had at least an ATAS test ride under my belt. on a same MY comparo between AT std and AT AS (at least hear in blighty) the bits fitted to the AS would appear to cost more to add to the std AT and I'd say some look to be better spec (AS sumpguard) than the std fitment. So its a not a close run thing plus adding the Big tank would push the price up significantly (that's if you wanted more fuel capacity). AND the big one for me is the AT AS just has it for my bike buying want needs , as we all know buying a bike isn't just about the practicalities (its not white goods) there's the emotional bit that needs sating too.
There that's my justification/reasons/excuse for picking the AT AS over the std... Obs if comparing left over '17MY ATs with AT AS pricing your looking at shed loads of price difference, but then you'd be missing out on stainless spokes (and possibly better forks?) ride by wire and better options on TC (7 ? levels compared to 3) and maybe a few manufacturing improvements that Honda have done over the previous versions .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts