Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so for the next farkle to my baby, is a central hub that I can power accessories and lights from, and a 12V socket for charging my nav unit!
I am using 14 Gauge wire and weatherproof heat shrink connectors. I found this fuse box at a local auto store that I can run a main lead to from the battery then smaller leads to the accessories and lights from there. Each slot accepts it's own fuse as well like a normal car fuse box. I plan to mount it up in this space under the snorkel for the airbox on the exhaust side.
I ran out of time and will finish this install this evening! :nerd:

P.S. Do you guys think I should go a bit larger than 14 gauge with the lead from the battery? I figured my accessories and LED won't draw that many amps, but what are your thoughts? last thing I need is for my bike to light up the wrong way! hahahaha

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
So I decided I could squeeze it in on the other side, which makes wiring easy! I never got a response on the wire gauge (this forum really seems to be a ghost town) so I just went with it.
I ran the lead along the bikes harness up to the fuse box. To ground it I ran a ground wire from the bikes main ground and bolted the end of the wire just underneath the fuse box, as a grounding point for other items in the future as well. Ran the wires up the fairing to the socket and viola! Tested it with the volt meter and she's registering great! 12 volts! :) happy happy happy!!!! Hope this helps some of you out there! It wasn't too difficult took about 2-3 hours, but I'm slow and cautious!

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
I like this approach as going directly to the battery won't put any demand on the bike's wiring harness. 14 AWG should be fine for up to 15 amps total load. Be sure and fuse your loads.

·
Registered
884 Posts
That's a clever place to hide the connections - out of sight. I've used Eastern Beaver's PC8 before (roughly the same size by the looks of it), just tucked under the seat. Any concerns about wet connections or water in that location?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Looks a great low cost solution if your sure no water gets in there, the built in fuse holders are handy enough. You probably didnt get a reply on the 14AWG current capacity because a simple google will of told you in 5s!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like this approach as going directly to the battery won't put any demand on the bike's wiring harness. 14 AWG should be fine for up to 15 amps total load. Be sure and fuse your loads.
Thats good to know! Thank you! :) Every connection will be fused using that little fuse box!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's a clever place to hide the connections - out of sight. I've used Eastern Beaver's PC8 before (roughly the same size by the looks of it), just tucked under the seat. Any concerns about wet connections or water in that location?
I used heat shrunk weatherproof connectors for everything, but as for that fuse box, I really didn't consider wet conditions. that seems to be a good spot, with multiple layers of plastic over it, but I'm not 100% sure on it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks a great low cost solution if your sure no water gets in there, the built in fuse holders are handy enough. You probably didnt get a reply on the 14AWG current capacity because a simple google will of told you in 5s!
LMAO! Yeah, common sense didn't kick in for me on that one! Gotta look like a fool sometimes I guess!

·
Registered
479 Posts
LMAO! Yeah, common sense didn't kick in for me on that one! Gotta look like a fool sometimes I guess!
Ha ha, join the club, looking the fool, one of my many pastimes!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts