Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the bike.
Has anyone established whether running in lowest power mode ('3' afaik - 'Gravel') has noticeably worthwhile benefits on fuel consumption?
Struggling to average 21kpl here. If I rode any slower I'd fall over.

ta

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
3,125 Posts
DCT?

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
3,125 Posts
Good point. No.
Maybe this will help you; If I have my DCT in drive mode as opposed to sport the fuel economy improves, but it does this by short shifting, it will have me in 6th gear by 30mph/48kph. So basically going down the road not to far above idling , yes, the bike is kinda chugging along and at first that really bothered me. But I got use to it and trusted the DCT not to stall the bike (and it never has). So my advice try a higher gear and a much lower RPM then you are use to, for example if the road you normally take keeps you in say 4th try using 5th instead this will help your fuel economy. It’s a psychological thing, we are kind of conditioned as riders that if the bike is struggling that you need to drop a gear and get the RPM’s up, but that low RPM to speed ratio gives great gas mileage, it just feels uncomfortable (at first).

Reactions: RockyMtnRascal

·
Super Moderator
6,785 Posts
If the road varies enough, I switch to manual mode to suit myself should the auto mode be not to my liking. I find affect on economy is minimal, however literally, your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
509 Posts
If my math is right, 21 km per liter is 51 miles per US gallon. You're doing GREAT! I've never gotten better than 45 on the highway. Around town, there's too much traffic to make a fair guess.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Maybe this will help you; If I have my DCT in drive mode as opposed to sport the fuel economy improves, but it does this by short shifting, it will have me in 6th gear by 30mph/48kph. So basically going down the road not to far above idling , yes, the bike is kinda chugging along and at first that really bothered me. But I got use to it and trusted the DCT not to stall the bike (and it never has). So my advice try a higher gear and a much lower RPM then you are use to, for example if the road you normally take keeps you in say 4th try using 5th instead this will help your fuel economy. It’s a psychological thing, we are kind of conditioned as riders that if the bike is struggling that you need to drop a gear and get the RPM’s up, but that low RPM to speed ratio gives great gas mileage, it just feels uncomfortable (at first).
The DCT will probably not permit lugging the engine to the point of damaging it. There may be another consideration that people are overlooking. Many of my bikes in the past could not deliver a full charge to the battery at less than 3000 rpm give or take a bit. Depending on how the new electrical systems perform and are coupled with the possible loads imposed by electrics plugged into the system along with the AT using a Lithium battery it might be advisable to keep an eye on the battery voltages for a while. If there is no problem, forget it. If there is, then changing riding style to accommodate the situation may be in order..

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
3,125 Posts
The DCT will probably not permit lugging the engine to the point of damaging it. There may be another consideration that people are overlooking. Many of my bikes in the past could not deliver a full charge to the battery at less than 3000 rpm give or take a bit. Depending on how the new electrical systems perform and are coupled with the possible loads imposed by electrics plugged into the system along with the AT using a Lithium battery it might be advisable to keep an eye on the battery voltages for a while. If there is no problem, forget it. If there is, then changing riding style to accommodate the situation may be in order..
I have a voltmeter on my AT and it’s pretty much always at a little over 14v.
Just so you know, we’ll at least for a
18 ATAS I can say...

·
Super Moderator
6,785 Posts
The lithium battery unloaded (i.e. ignition switch off for at least an overnight period) consistently shows up on the '19 AT at 13.75V.

Therefore, charging (when it is required) while riding must be meaningfully above this. 14.00V is not significantly more than 13.75V. However, 13.75V is a static measure and possibly the battery may drop to 13V (or whatever while riding) and the charging level of 14V should be adequate for sustained charging.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for your suggestions and feedback.
I tried a current gen. DCT 750X last summer. It’s a brilliant system.
NC lugged painfully in D at times (needed a down-change up some steep hills) but overall preferred that to harsher S1 and S2. But as said, they must have set lugging at at pre-big-end damaging levels.

I did an experiment today, trolling along at 105kph on a motorway:
• ~300km in ‘Gravel’ mode (‘P3’). True 19.8kpl (19.1 indicated). Range 380km indicated.
• Another ~300km in the afternoon in ‘Tour’ mode (‘P1’): true 22.7 (ind: 21.5). That’s 64UK or 53.3US.
In P1 the engine felt noticeably smoother and more responsive and range jumped to 430km which will do me.

A side/backwind built up as the day wore on but as the word suggests ’Tour’ seems to give maximum efficiency.
I wonder what exactly ‘Gravel’ does other than reducing power and cruising efficiency?
I suppose softer response will stop unwanted power slides, but then so does the TC setting on max.
It would be interesting to compare Power/Torque curves for the 3 power levels.

Other observations while watching the countryside pass by:
Speedo is the usual 8% over.
Odo is 1% over (measured over 100km against GPS and autoroute markers).
Economy estimate is ~4% under.
I’m not planning to see how accurate the range est. is ;-)

Also:
Seat is not bad - nice and roomy for once, even with the step.
Palmer screen works great for me too at this speed; catches or flips all the bugs. Forgot to fit ear plugs.
LCD dash detail is hard to read as it perfectly mirrors my sunlit head and shoulders.
(Got ‘Dimmer’ on ‘5’ but not sure if that is for nighttime dimming rather than daytime brightness.)
As we know, TFT (as on the NC) is the way to go.

For my sort of use WLT see a more dirt-agile mini AT but I suppose that’s what a CB500X is - another amazingly economical machine.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I suspect if you are 'trolling' along at 105kph on the motorway, it doesn't make any difference whether you are in Gravel or tour (or on a DCT sport or Drive). The different settings AFAIK are to do with power delivery as you accelerate - once you are at a steady speed the engine and transmission characteristics will be the same.
And yesterday I was going up a very steep hill and the DCT bike kept it in such a high gear it seemed wrong, but as you say those engineers must know what they were doing.
Mike

·
Super Moderator
6,785 Posts
Thanks for your suggestions and feedback.
I tried a current gen. DCT 750X last summer. It’s a brilliant system.
NC lugged painfully in D at times (needed a down-change up some steep hills) but overall preferred that to harsher S1 and S2. But as said, they must have set lugging at at pre-big-end damaging levels.

I did an experiment today, trolling along at 105kph on a motorway:
• ~300km in ‘Gravel’ mode (‘P3’). True 19.8kpl (19.1 indicated). Range 380km indicated.
• Another ~300km in the afternoon in ‘Tour’ mode (‘P1’): true 22.7 (ind: 21.5). That’s 64UK or 53.3US.
In P1 the engine felt noticeably smoother and more responsive and range jumped to 430km which will do me.

A side/backwind built up as the day wore on but as the word suggests ’Tour’ seems to give maximum efficiency.
I wonder what exactly ‘Gravel’ does other than reducing power and cruising efficiency?
I suppose softer response will stop unwanted power slides, but then so does the TC setting on max.
It would be interesting to compare Power/Torque curves for the 3 power levels.

Other observations while watching the countryside pass by:
Speedo is the usual 8% over.
Odo is 1% over (measured over 100km against GPS and autoroute markers).
Economy estimate is ~4% under.
I’m not planning to see how accurate the range est. is ;-)

Also:
Seat is not bad - nice and roomy for once, even with the step.
Palmer screen works great for me too at this speed; catches or flips all the bugs. Forgot to fit ear plugs.
LCD dash detail is hard to read as it perfectly mirrors my sunlit head and shoulders.
(Got ‘Dimmer’ on ‘5’ but not sure if that is for nighttime dimming rather than daytime brightness.)
As we know, TFT (as on the NC) is the way to go.

For my sort of use WLT see a more dirt-agile mini AT but I suppose that’s what a CB500X is - another amazingly economical machine.
The NC750XD is a very practical machine. I agree the D mode is quite underwhelming during acceleration. The AT's D mode implementation is superior. NC750XD S2 mode is just about ideal, and manual mode works well. I find the AT S1 mode almost ideal, and the manual mode excellent.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
3,125 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Getting back to power modes, I just found this graph on this website.
It's actually for the new 1100 but shows the lower power levels or softer response as smaller throttle openings. Who knows how exactly it corresponds to cruising along the road with the throttle barely open, but as mentioned, I found the bike most efficient in 'full-power' Tour mode.
I never got better than 64mpg and one very windy day got down to 37mpg (13.1kpl) at the same modest cruising speed, if not slower.
Not had it that low on a 4-stroke since running a GS750 in the 70s.
Filled up at something like 252km with 600cc in the tank.

Text Line Parallel Slope

·
Registered
2017 Africa Twin DCT 1000cc
5 Posts
It should be a one off, unless my son in law beats it, and then I’ll have to show him who’s boss all over again!
Normally, I’m getting around 50mpg, which is way more fun!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts