Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Booked my AT in May and finally its arrived at the dealer.

The dealer has asked me to come over and do a pre delivery inspection, any pointers or checklist that you guys can help me with.

Cheers
Abhijeet

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
256 Posts
Look it over well, check for the manual and tool kit. Some dealers are forgetting to include them, or did not find them in the crate. I looked mine over and then picked it up after they installed the 12 Volt socket. Found a chip in the paint after I left the dealership, but of course they denied any responsibility and said that touch up paint is not yet available from Honda. After a couple of rides take a wrench to it and tighten up a few screws that may have loosened.

Enjoy, it is a great bike.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Look it over well, check for the manual and tool kit. Some dealers are forgetting to include them, or did not find them in the crate. I looked mine over and then picked it up after they installed the 12 Volt socket. Found a chip in the paint after I left the dealership, but of course they denied any responsibility and said that touch up paint is not yet available from Honda. After a couple of rides take a wrench to it and tighten up a few screws that may have loosened.

Enjoy, it is a great bike.

Thanks will keep that in mind. Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
3,298 Posts
As High Country mentioned, inspect fit and finish. It may be difficult or impossible to get the dealer to accept responsibility for a chip or scratch once it has left the lot.

Bring a tire gauge and check tire pressures. They should do that, but they don't always do what they should.

Make sure the bike starts easily and that turn signals, brake lights, low/high beam, kill switch, side stand switch work as they should. Basic TCLOCS stuff.

·
Registered
577 Posts
As High Country mentioned, inspect fit and finish. It may be difficult or impossible to get the dealer to accept responsibility for a chip or scratch once it has left the lot.

Bring a tire gauge and check tire pressures. They should do that, but they don't always do what they should.

Make sure the bike starts easily and that turn signals, brake lights, low/high beam, kill switch, side stand switch work as they should. Basic TCLOCS stuff.
Certainly, the level of professionalism will be dependent on the dealer but whether you get invited or not you should check a new bike over.
As you all know, it comes crated from the Japanese factory and the front wheel has to be assembled.
I noticed most do this simple installation wrong.
It has been more than 4 years since the first Africa Twins made the overseas journey to each destination from the factory in Japan.
When you spend some time on Youtube you'll notice several "unboxing" videos that show how it is crated and
what is assembled at the dealership before they deliver it to the end user.
Most dealers will invoice several hundred dollars for this 'prep' and should be able to follow set guidelines.
But as some of you may have noticed, most don't have a clue:
This is how to properly install the front wheel.

Step-by-Step
Below steps ensure proper alignment of the forks as you install the wheel.
Excerpt for front tire installation (from shop manual):
Install the side collars [1] to the front wheel. Make sure the ABS sensor ring is on the correct side.
Apply a thin coat of grease to the front axle sliding surfaces.
  1. Install the front wheel between the forks.
  2. Install the front axle [2] from right side.
  3. Tighten the right front axle holder pinch bolts [4] to the specified torque.
  4. Install and tighten the axle nut [5] to the specified torque.
  5. Loosen the right front axle holder pinch bolts.
  6. Tighten the left front axle holder pinch bolts [6] to the specified torque.
  7. Install the front brake calipers (page 19-18).
With the front brake applied, pump the forks up and
down several times to seat the axle (RHS) and check brake
operation.
8. Tighten the right front axle holder pinch bolts to the specified torque.

Reactions: DoubleThumper
1 - 8 of 8 Posts