Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have backed off all the preload front and back to lower the bike. I am 15 stone never carry a pilion or heavy lugage. I have also increased the damping to stifen up the suspension. My question is what if any bad efects could this have.

·
Registered
241 Posts
It depends on how and where you ride.
Predominantly, proper sag encourages the suspension to play in the most effective range in overall travel.
So YMMV.
How much lowering do you need?
I assume you already have a low seat?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It depends on how and where you ride.
Predominantly, proper sag encourages the suspension to play in the most effective range in overall travel.
So YMMV.
How much lowering do you need?
I assume you already have a low seat?
No i dont have a low seat I just thought I could gain a litle extra without loosing seat comfort. If it efects the handeling or causes any problems I will put it back to standard im on the balls of my feet the same as I was with my DL650 but the Honda is a litle more top heavy.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I've used the lower seat in both low and standard position until I got more comfortable with the bike.
Then I tried a 19" front rim and that really hit the spot. I could return to the standard seat with the smaller rim and handling was better too.

·
Registered
366 Posts
At your weight, 15 stone / 210 pounds / 95kg, backing off the front and rear preload will lower the bike a bit but at least for the rear just sitting on the bike you have used up ~50% of the suspension travel. Effect is an unbalanced bike front to rear - think of it as a chopper-like ride with slow steering. Yes, you have stiffened up the damping to help against bottoming out on bumps but you loose some of the plushness. Some short guys raise the front forks a few mm in the triple clamps which effectively lowers the front end and makes for quicker steering.

Best balance and use of the suspension travel is when both ends have proper rider sag - measured with with you geared up sitting on the bike with ½ tank gas - and proper springs for your weight. Then when you hit a bump both ends of the bike act the same and the bike doesn't pitch, kick or bottom out

FWIW I'm 75kg (12 stone) and I've got the stock shock wound to max preload for proper sag. Some good explanation here. Honda CRF1000F Africa Twin Adventure Suspension

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've used the lower seat in both low and standard position until I got more comfortable with the bike.
Then I tried a 19" front rim and that really hit the spot. I could return to the standard seat with the smaller rim and handling was better too.
Thanks for the reply, were did you get the 19 rim and how much did it cost if you dont mind me asking

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
At your weight, 15 stone / 210 pounds / 95kg, backing off the front and rear preload will lower the bike a bit but at least for the rear just sitting on the bike you have used up ~50% of the suspension travel. Effect is an unbalanced bike front to rear - think of it as a chopper-like ride with slow steering. Yes, you have stiffened up the damping to help against bottoming out on bumps but you loose some of the plushness. Some short guys raise the front forks a few mm in the triple clamps which effectively lowers the front end and makes for quicker steering.

Best balance and use of the suspension travel is when both ends have proper rider sag - measured with with you geared up sitting on the bike with ½ tank gas - and proper springs for your weight. Then when you hit a bump both ends of the bike act the same and the bike doesn't pitch, kick or bottom out

FWIW I'm 75kg (12 stone) and I've got the stock shock wound to max preload for proper sag. Some good explanation here. Honda CRF1000F Africa Twin Adventure Suspension
Thanks for that. I will spend a couple of weeks geting used to the bike then I will increase the rear preload

1 - 9 of 9 Posts