Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I preordered an Adventure Sports back in early December and continue to wait. Good to see they're popping up in Canada, though! Anyone starting to see them in the States yet?

My younger brother has a 2016 CRF1000. The goal is to meet up in Asheville, NC and go trail riding. Can't wait!

I've ridden a bit of everything; started on a 1977 Yamaha Enduro 125, owned a Suzuki SV650S and currently a 2012 Harley VRSCDX Night Rod Special. I test rode a 2019 AT:AS DCT and knew I had to go for it. It'll be good to switch genres.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Wow. I would have expected the US to get them before us in Canada. Mine is one of the first in Ontario and I know of a few out in BC. Hope you get yours soon. It is worth the wait!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Azak the 2020 is totally different then your brothers 2016 CRF1000 and the 2019 ATAS but you will feel it when you get It. Did bought a manual or DCT? I got mine since the 2nd of November and each time when I drive I love it so much. Sometimes a just drive around the church just for fun. For me it is an amazing machine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I live in western NY. From the Honda web site, I filled out a request for a local dealer to contact me with information on the 2020 AFAS. That was almost two weeks ago. Still waiting. LOL. My guess is they do not have in stock or know when they will have them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Azak the 2020 is totally different then your brothers 2016 CRF1000 and the 2019 ATAS but you will feel it when you get It. Did bought a manual or DCT? I got mine since the 2nd of November and each time when I drive I love it so much. Sometimes a just drive around the church just for fun. For me it is an amazing machine.
I got the DCT after test driving one (2019 model). I'll admit, I was skeptical - and maybe still am just a little bit - but overall I really liked the feel. There are only a couple things that truly annoy me, like not being able to clutch-coast and having to either be going or engine braking with nothing in between, but I'll adjust. I see the benefits for trail riding. And it's something new.

I will miss shifting, but I do see a world where I also enjoy not having to worry about it.

I live in western NY. From the Honda web site, I filled out a request for a local dealer to contact me with information on the 2020 AFAS. That was almost two weeks ago. Still waiting. LOL. My guess is they do not have in stock or know when they will have them.
You're probably right. I did find them to be a little more forthcoming when I offered to put down a deposit, however. Though their story changed a bit from Feb to "late Feb early March."

I think they either don't know or are being told not to say anything right now.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm not finding much information on what can be ordered extra with the bike. Service intervals? What has to be serviced? The break-in is how many miles? Any estimate on what a standard service will be in American $$$$. My R1200GSA runs HIGH 7,800.00+ for service
The biggest thing keeping me from getting an ATAS DCT is iPhone and carplay. Am I correct that the ONLY way to run the GPS, phone, etc is through an Apple iPhone. All the phones in my family are Android apt.driven. So with everything considered in purchasing the bike, now I need a $1200.00 phone and (several years to learn how to run the darn thing)? BIG,BIG game changer. I'll just keep my 2012 GL1800 and my 2015 R1200GSA.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not finding much information on what can be ordered extra with the bike. Service intervals? What has to be serviced? The break-in is how many miles? Any estimate on what a standard service will be in American $$$$. My R1200GSA runs HIGH 7,800.00+ for service
The biggest thing keeping me from getting an ATAS DCT is iPhone and carplay. Am I correct that the ONLY way to run the GPS, phone, etc is through an Apple iPhone. All the phones in my family are Android apt.driven. So with everything considered in purchasing the bike, now I need a $1200.00 phone and (several years to learn how to run the darn thing)? BIG,BIG game changer. I'll just keep my 2012 GL1800 and my 2015 R1200GSA.
I'm not knocking the brand, but those just sound like BMW prices to me. :)

Yes, the nav is via Apple CarPlay only. But if it's any consolation, my current plan (as a die-hard Pixel owner) is to just eBay a used iPhone 8, tether it to my phone, and use that for nav. I'll stash it on the bike someplace, and might even make a minor adjustment to the wiring so it can be permanently mounted somewhere without eating up the USB port. That'll used phone will run you about $200, which is cheaper than a bolt on GPS in most cases.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Meant to reply to this sooner. If you haven't yet, grab the Honda Experience app for your phone. It's got a cool 3D configurator for most of their bikes, including the new Africa Twin models. It contains all of the currently available accessories. Not 100% certain that the entire list will make it to the states, but probably so.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Nice picture. I started to get VERY interested in getting one but the fact that to run the GPS, phone etc. all that runs on a iPhone with Honda CarPlay. My present phone is a Moto Z using Android. My guess is 80% of phones in USA run on Android apps. If the ATAS only excepts CarPlay the Honda's markert will shrink. The Africa Twin AS DCT is a fine bike. I was hoping to replace my 2015 BMW R1200GSA before going on a trip to Tuktoyaktuk, Northwest Territories, Canada this summer. But can't see that happening now. Also checked out the honda Experience App didn't find any accessories listed. I liked the side panniers and top case on the bike in the video.
1der

·
Registered
10 Posts
Let me see if I understand what some are saying. This new AT is only as good as the cell phone connectivity. Some will be missing out. I was one of the 1st in Canada to own the 2018 Goldwing, same response on the CarPlay. “No Android“ was a deal breaker for many, and for some, it was a deal breaker because they couldn’t store 2 helmets in the rear trunk.
l don’t get it.?!?!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yes it is Apple Car Play only. It wouldn't surprise me if Apple pays them to keep it exclusive. I am one of the first Canadian owners of the 2020 ATAS DCT (#5) and it is a great bike. I am an Android user and I don't care about Apple CarPlay. I have a handlebar mount for my phone and GPS (I already have a Zumo). Apple Car Play is a convenience toy. I thought about getting a used iPhone and tethering it to my real phone but read places where people have had problems with it. It's not worth the bother to me. But that's me.

To each their own but if the inclusion of Apple CarPlay and not Android Auto is a deal breaker for you then your priorities of what makes a great bike are much different than mine. For me the initial cost and cost of ownership is what made me get the ATAS over a GSA. I also had a **** of a time getting a test ride in order with the BMW dealer that is nearest me. It never happened and I had to ride 3 hours and pay for the test ride from a training school to finally test ride what I wanted (in the cold rain mind you). I felt like BMW and the nearest dealer didn't care about my money because they will sell the bike anyway. It's your money. You ultimately decide what you want to spend it on.

Now on to Honda and their handling of this release: Honda has dropped the ball when it comes to North America. In Canada we are missing the accessory fog lights that integrate into the electrical system as an item, half the accessories I bought are still on back order and they don't have proper holes for Canadian license plates. Most large companies are horrible at these things. For some reason the more people involved the worse it seems to be.

Regardless, I am having a blast on my bike when there isn't snow and ice on the roads.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's not Honda's fault, nor is it Apple cornering the market. There is no motorcycle-centric application for Android Auto. Google's approach to the matter has been to just let you put your phone in "Android Auto Mode" and have the experience on your device, the idea being that you'd use a handlebar holder. It just wasn't designed for bikes like the Africa Twin. So blame the right people (Google, in this case), and don't be TOO hard on Honda for not making it happen.

I think I mentioned this on another thread (or here - sorry if I'm repeating myself) but I'm just going to get a used iPhone 8 and wire that in, using tethering off my Pixel 3 to deliver cellular signal. That iPhone can just stay with the bike. In fact my goal is to find a location (maybe up in the front fairing?) where I can just hide it and wire it in permanently. We'll see how that goes (there may be battery drain, no place to put it, etc.).

As for NA release, we're (speaking to fellow Americans and Canadian and Mexican friends) not as much of a priority for a lot of the bike developers (incl. Honda) because many types of bikes, especially adventure, sell something like 10:1 more on the other sides of the Atlantic and Pacific, respectively. We'll get stuff, just not as fast. They need those early sales to lock down initial profits on the new hardware. I get it. I don't like it, but I get it. This is all info I got after yakking my dealer's ear off trying to get more info on a US release date. And a lot of sleuthing around online.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's not Honda's fault, nor is it Apple cornering the market. There is no motorcycle-centric application for Android Auto. Google's approach to the matter has been to just let you put your phone in "Android Auto Mode" and have the experience on your device, the idea being that you'd use a handlebar holder. It just wasn't designed for bikes like the Africa Twin. So blame the right people (Google, in this case), and don't be TOO hard on Honda for not making it happen.

I think I mentioned this on another thread (or here - sorry if I'm repeating myself) but I'm just going to get a used iPhone 8 and wire that in, using tethering off my Pixel 3 to deliver cellular signal. That iPhone can just stay with the bike. In fact my goal is to find a location (maybe up in the front fairing?) where I can just hide it and wire it in permanently. We'll see how that goes (there may be battery drain, no place to put it, etc.).

As for NA release, we're (speaking to fellow Americans and Canadian and Mexican friends) not as much of a priority for a lot of the bike developers (incl. Honda) because many types of bikes, especially adventure, sell something like 10:1 more on the other sides of the Atlantic and Pacific, respectively. We'll get stuff, just not as fast. They need those early sales to lock down initial profits on the new hardware. I get it. I don't like it, but I get it. This is all info I got after yakking my dealer's ear off trying to get more info on a US release date. And a lot of sleuthing around online.
I wouldn't leave an iPhone in the bike all the time. The lithium battery could possibly get too hot and burn your bike to the ground.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Speaking with my local dealer yesterday and was told that April will most likely be when they see their first 2020's roll in... ;( Probably end up taking my 2016 ATAS DCT on the May trip now being planned.

Test rode a shiny new 2020 850GSA yesterday and was left with a disappointing taste.. couldn't really pin down any one thing however it did make me realize how comfortable I've become on my trusty old 16'..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The local dealer here says that Honda is offering "early" delivery (unclear what that means) to dealerships that accept a certain number of 2019s along with their shipment of 2020s. It's a bit of a cheeky way to offload the excess stock on the previous model.

Mid-late March to early April is probably the most reasonable time frame, all things being equal. The problem right this moment is that all things are not equal. COVID-19 has had a massive effect on production and industry throughout Asia. Even in the cases where Japanese factories have not closed, in many cases their Chinese material sources have been.

We shall just have to wait and see.

·
Registered
18 Posts
ActualZak, I'm glad you have a dealer that has some information. I filled out the questionnaire on the Honda motorcycle website for dealer information.The two replies I got back were identical, "We are working on information for your request". What is the problem? If Canada has had the 2020 AT out for months what is the delay for delivery to the US market? Will the American version be different? If so, how could that be? I'm planning on a trip to Northern Yukon this summer but it looks like it will be on my R1200GSA.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just placed some $$ down on a 2020 ATASes DCT at my local dealer.. he assures me that the shipping date is 3/24/20 with a 3 day travel to his door. No further information was available such as price, accessories, ect..... guessing it's a national security risk...... good grief !!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts