Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 600 mile oil change will come up soon. Do any of you guys have an opinion on the Pro Honda HP4S Full Synthetic vs the Motul 5100?

Also, do you suggest 10w-30 or 10w-40 for riding in the Northeast. Someone said 10w-40 is the way to go with the AT.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Mobil 1. All cars and 5 motorcycles. Choose which viscosity based on weather and mfg specs.
Just my .02 worth.

·
Registered
105 Posts
As the numbers relate to viscosity at the temperature ranges the 10w-40 maintains its designed viscosity up to 40°C and is therefore preferable to the 30.

The W stands for winter and is relevant to cold-start viscosity.

·
Registered
50 Posts
As the numbers relate to viscosity at the temperature ranges the 10w-40 maintains its designed viscosity up to 40°C and is therefore preferable to the 30.
The W stands for winter and is relevant to cold-start viscosity.
In a 10w-40 for example the 10w bit (W = winter, not weight or watt or anything else for that matter) simply means that the oil must have a certain maximum viscosity/flow at low temperature. The lower the "W" number the better the oil's cold temperature/cold start performance.

The 40 in a 10w-40 simply means that the oil must fall within certain viscosity limits at 100°C. This is a fixed limit and all oils that end in 40 must achieve these limits. Once again the lower the number, the thinner the oil: a 30 oil is thinner than a 40 oil at 100°C etc.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I would not (and did not) use synthetic for the first oil change. I used quality Castrol 4T conventional oil at 600 miles. I will change to full synthetic at 2000 miles and then stay full synthetic thereafter.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would not (and did not) use synthetic for the first oil change. I used quality Castrol 4T conventional oil at 600 miles. I will change to full synthetic at 2000 miles and then stay full synthetic thereafter.
Yes, after some searching I discovered that this is the best plan. I will use Honda GN4 at 600 miles and then change to full synthetic after a few thousand miles.

By the way, I never used a magnetic drain plug before. Seems like a good idea but I'm having trouble finding one for the AT. Anyone using one in their bike? If so, where did you find it?

·
Registered
101 Posts
My 600 mile oil change will come up soon. Do any of you guys have an opinion on the Pro Honda HPS Full Synthetic vs the Motul 5100?

Also, do you suggest 10w-30 or 10w-40 for riding in the Northeast. Someone said 10w-40 is the way to go with the AT.
My Honda dealers in Wigan has just done my 600 miles service today and they used Motul 5100 10W 40,they said they dont use Honda oil and they buy Motul in bulk. I guess there saving money somewhere by doing this.

·
Registered
480 Posts
My Honda dealers in Wigan has just done my 600 miles service today and they used Motul 5100 10W 40,they said they dont use Honda oil and they buy Motul in bulk. I guess there saving money somewhere by doing this.
Yes, but not necessarily to your advantage, but certainly to their benefit.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yes, but not necessarily to your advantage, but certainly to their benefit.
I'm 100% convinced there saving money,but there isn't a great difference between 10w30 and 10w40 and I guess for our mixed and varied climate here in the UK 10w40 will be fine in the AT.
It would be interesting to know who actually make Honda oil,is it there own brew or is it rebadged.

To be honest the only bikes iv not put 10w40 in are my Harley's which used something that resembled treacle. Also used a amazingly expensive oil in my KTM race bikes but they got changed every meeting.

Funny thing is the Honda dealership had Motul 10w30 on the shelf in 5L bottles but still sold me the 10w40.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts