Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, not sure if this is the right place to ask something like this, but here it goes!

So I'm playing at the idea of getting a new motorcycle...
I've currently had my 2018 HD Lowrider for 2 years roughly, it was pretty much my first time financing and I got screwed over royally by the dealership. (Walked out owing almost 19k with a 17% interest rate and an 84 month loan lol) I now owe 10k on that bike and I've managed to rack up 47000 miles on the odometer.

So I've been drooling over the adventure bike market, and have been looking seriously at a leftover 2018 Africa Twin (manual/base version). The dealer said they will sell it to me for 9k.

Now they said they'll give me 6k for my bike as a trade-in. I have enough funds to pay 3-4k down to cover the upside down value on my trade in, meaning I'd be financing around 10k out the door probably if I'm right.

I am DYING to ride this bike guys, do you think it's worth it? Would you guys do something like this if it meant you could have your Africa Twin? It's a pretty big decision for me obviously, and I'm trying not to do something utterly stupid like I did before during my previous dealer experience.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Kelly blue book says 13k value for a 2018 Lowrider without taking mileage into account. I’d say on a private sale you should be able to get what you owe. I definitely wouldn’t want to lose 40% of that on a trade. I’d list it on Craigslist and the local classifies for a couple of weeks and see what responses you get.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Recommend doing a private sale on the Hardley and buy/finance the AT separately.
Kelly blue book says 13k value for a 2018 Lowrider without taking mileage into account. I’d say on a private sale you should be able to get what you owe. I definitely wouldn’t want to lose 40% of that on a trade. I’d list it on Craigslist and the local classifies for a couple of weeks and see what responses you get.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the replies. I didn't know where else to get any opinions so I figured why not here haha. Yeah, I guess I will try and sell privately for a time. I thought it'd be pretty difficult to get anyone to bite with the virus and all that. But it's worth a shot haha.

·
Registered
141 Posts
People have stimulus money to spend! Private sale the Harley and get at least what you owe, purchase an AT with a nice down payment and pay it off easily over time or very quickly, your choice.

·
Registered
2017 DCT
330 Posts
Honda, from time to time, offers 0% financing for 12 months... Payments are steep, but you end up owning the bike outright in 12 months without paying anything to a bank for interest.

I would definitely try the private sale route on the HD, first. Raise some cash, clear some debt, then think hard about future debt...

I'm betting there will be NOS 2018's and 2019's around for a while, so the only rush is the desire to change. Now should be about as good of a time of year to sell the HD, weather wise, as it gets. There are certainly a lot of people social distancing on motorcycles, so I would bet there is some demand for the bike.

Basically, the dealer is offering to sell you the convenience of not having to pay off the loan with a private party's certified check. Their price for this service sounds like about $4k or so.

One other thought: KBB has the trade-in value at $9,670. You might have higher miles than they take into account, but that is A LOT more than $6k.

It might be worth trying 3 or 4 Harley dealers and seeing what they would offer in cash. (They will all buy a bike for some price.) It might be considerably more than $6k, especially if you have any of the options KBB lists upgrade amounts on for the trade value.

Even $9k would leave you a little cash to put down on the AT... Just don't finance it for 84 months!!!! :eek:

·
Registered
23 Posts
@SQK_1200

Judging by Beowulf's research, you need to put a sticker on your windshield pointing up and saying "this way"; draw a dolphin on the tank and saddle, throw in a couple old walkmans and get some autoglym going on the air-cleaner and clutch cover:

Seat, Custom $75
Navigation System $175
Paint, Custom Tank Only $75
Stereo w/ Cassette & CD $125
Polished Engine $350
Value added $800

Easy money, mate. That'll pay for some proper farkles ?

On a serious note, do it. You will never look back. Try the manual and DCT versions to see what suits best - I rode manual for 25ish years, now on my 2nd DCT and I'm a convert...

Good luck!

FTB

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey guys, just got home from work! Was happy to see all these post from you guys.

Thanks for contributing as always and you all brought up valid points again. Last night I decided I was going to try and sell it privately for the amount I owe. And what do you know, people actually want to see the bike. I'll be meeting up with the first guy this Sunday. We'll see how it goes. I'm not expecting too much as to not get my hopes up haha. And yeah, maybe my HD dealer might actually buy it? Who knows, It wouldn't hurt to ask. Thank you all!

·
Registered
38 Posts
PATIENCE! Sell privately. Start at KBB and lower price 500.00 every two weeks it doesn’t sell. This is how I sell my cars. Meanwhile the 1100 AT will be creeping into the dealers and the 1000 AT will start dropping like the stock market.

The faster you buy the more you pay. The faster you sell the less you get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
415 Posts
Hey guys, not sure if this is the right place to ask something like this, but here it goes!

I've currently had my 2018 HD Lowrider for 2 years roughly, it was pretty much my first time financing and I got screwed over royally by the dealership. (Walked out owing almost 19k with a 17% interest rate and an 84 month loan lol) I now owe 10k on that bike and I've managed to rack up 47000 miles on the odometer.

So I've been drooling over the adventure bike market, and have been looking seriously at a leftover 2018 Africa Twin (manual/base version). The dealer said they will sell it to me for 9k.

Now they said they'll give me 6k for my bike as a trade-in. I have enough funds to pay 3-4k down to cover the upside down value on my trade in, meaning I'd be financing around 10k out the door probably if I'm right.

I am DYING to ride this bike guys, do you think it's worth it? Would you guys do something like this if it meant you could have your Africa Twin? It's a pretty big decision for me obviously, and I'm trying not to do something utterly stupid like I did before during my previous dealer experience.
Put some knobbys on the HD, nothing handles as good on a gravel road, not so good in deep mud landings a bit harsh on an MX track.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
PATIENCE! Sell privately. Start at KBB and lower price 500.00 every two weeks it doesn’t sell. This is how I sell my cars. Meanwhile the 1100 AT will be creeping into the dealers and the 1000 AT will start dropping like the stock market.

The faster you buy the more you pay. The faster you sell the less you get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Solid advice man! I appreciate it!

·
Registered
725 Posts
Well SKQ,
Here's the actual deal. No matter WHAT your Harley's worth, in terms of the KBB or any other so called value book, people are gonna pay whatever they'll pay, for your Harley, PERIOD. Motorcycle sales are down all over this country, it's a fact. I came from 35 years + of Honda Goldwing riding and 5 different Goldwings. My last one, was an '08 with a mere 38,000 on the clock. It was farkled quite a bit. Meaning, it had quite a bit of extras on it. The bike was flawless in all directions.
I too fell in love with the Africa Twin. I saw a '20 on the dealer floor when I recently took my '08 Wing in for a recall. I couldn't break away from that Twin. It mesmerized me. I went home and the wife and I talked for a week or two on this. The Wing had been sitting more and more the last few years than it ever did in my earlier riding life. But, that AT was eating away at me. So, I decided to join this forum and ask some questions about the AT. I got good answers.

One or more of the members on this forum suggested that if I was really interested in the AT, to cruise around on the net and look for left overs from dealers across the U.S. So, I did that. I was seriously amazed at how many '17s, '18s, and 19's were still for sale as BRAND NEW. But, like I stated earlier, M/C sales are waaaaaaay down at present. It's a fact. So, in my search, I found quite a few '17's and '18's in both the AT/AS and AT, and, in both the manual 6-spd and, the DCT versions available within about a 3 hour drive.

So, I contacted a dealer that had a model I would be interested in and, told them I'd probably be trading in my Wing. He asked for a few pics, the Wings I.D. plate picture and that was it. Within a few hours, he got back to me with a deal I could not beat. We shook hands over the phone and, a couple of days later, I found myself off loading the Wing out of the back of my truck, parked it, and loaded a brand new 2018 Africa Twin Adventure Sports DCT with ZERO miles on it. I got it for $10,900 and, was awarded $6,000 for my Wing.

I have been like a kid in a candy store every day since that happened, about 2 weeks ago. Yep, the Wing was a whooooooolllllle different kind of riding. But, like a lot of things in life, Things change. Including my riding wants and needs and riding styles. I knew darn good and well that, if I'd have tried to sell my GORGEOUS beautiful RED Goldwing that was FLAWLESS, who knows just how long it would have taken to sell it and, what EXACTLY would I ACTUALLY have gotten for it?????? Doing the deal I did, to me, was the best way. I got what was apparently somewhat close to what the Wing was worth and, there was no hassle, no arguing, no letting a complete stranger jump on a 900 lb. motorcycle of mine for a test ride, not knowing if they have a clue or not. I'd do it all again in heartbeat.
Scott

P.S. Yep, I used the Wing as a down payment, about 1/2 the total OTD price and, they, the dealership, offered Hondas 12 month NO INTEREST payments for the rest. The wife and I jumped on that simply because we could and, the payments would not jolt us at all. We may even pay it off early if we want. But, basically, you're using THEIR MONEY in a situation like this.

Reactions: Travis B

·
Super Moderator
6,345 Posts
Ask me last November about an AT and I would have told you "such an ugly bike" and walked on.

Then later I thought, compared to other ADV bikes, the AT might the the best looking. My inline-4 comrades were getting concerned with my interests.

I like the height of the bike. AT forums celebrated the DCT. This was adding up.

Then bang, December - I got the AT shakes and sweats.

The rest is history.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hi, I've recently sold my 2016 street bob Harley and bought a 2018 africa twin. I have absolutely no regrets. The brakes and gear changes are smooth its super comfortable and im not restricted to asphalt.

·
Registered
31 Posts
1.) The way you were pulled in by the dealer is upsetting. Screwed, is the word. You know that so let’s move on.

2.) The trade value is literally grabbing you by the shoulders, flipping you around, and bending you over.

3.) Step back, take a deep breath, and be smart.

·
Super Moderator
6,345 Posts
Hi, I've recently sold my 2016 street bob Harley and bought a 2018 africa twin. I have absolutely no regrets. The brakes and gear changes are smooth its super comfortable and im not restricted to asphalt.
Welcome to the Forum Travis. Great to read you are really digging the AT.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts