Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this bike and have so far put 930 miles on it, did the first oil change at 650 miles and have never brought it above 6000 RPM.

The first sign that this bike might be having problems came shortly after I bought it, and rode in to work. I was at a stop, in neutral and pulled the clutch in. Bike died. I was low on fuel, so I thought that might have something to do with it, and since it was such a new bike I thought it might be part of the break-in period. It has died at least four times since then. Most of them when I'm either low on fuel or right after I've started the bike. The idle is so rough it makes me want to turn it off. Things start to settle down once the bike gets up to temperature, though. Sometimes it dies within seconds after starting. Then there's the horrible knocking noise from the engine. I've tried disconnecting the negative terminal of the battery, I've tried 87 89 91 and 93 octane gas (USA). I guess now I'm going to have to start digging into the engine.

Honestly I'm just disgusted. This is a HONDA machine. Never in my life did I expect a Honda to be having these sort of problems before it hit 600 miles. I depend on this bike to commute. That's WHY I bought a Honda. Could the mechanics have really ****** up that bad when prepping/assembling the bike? Is this a known defect from the factory? Just trying to run through scenarios that might cause this to happen. Anyone else experiencing issues like this? Honestly I'm ready to just send it back to the dealer, but I'm not sure I even trust them more than I trust myself to fix the problem. The thing is, I don't have all day to wrench on my bike. Guess it's back to riding the train for a while for me :(

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've had it die a few seconds after starting on a few occasions, but never when warm/riding aside from my own stall-outs. I just had the first service this week so will pay attention to see if it continues to die while warming up.

·
Registered
50 Posts
You say low on fuel.....what fuel are u using? There are several comments on this bike not liking cheap supermarket fuel. I briefly used cheap fuel and bike did not like it at all. Only main brands since and no problems at all

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You say low on fuel.....what fuel are u using? There are several comments on this bike not liking cheap supermarket fuel. I briefly used cheap fuel and bike did not like it at all. Only main brands since and no problems at all
I don't think fuel is the problem. Maybe injectors, but I would imagine my PGM-FI light would come on if that was the case. I've been using Shell mostly, and Chevron.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I guess now I'm going to have to start digging into the engine. (
Not a good idea - take it back to the dealer and have them connect it up to diagnostic equipment. These bikes are usually very reliable.....yours clearly has an issue, probably linked to fuel mixture or idling speed, which needs to be sorted quickly. Frustrating, clearly, but hopefully easy to put right.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Not a good idea - take it back to the dealer and have them connect it up to diagnostic equipment. These bikes are usually very reliable.....yours clearly has an issue, probably linked to fuel mixture or idling speed, which needs to be sorted quickly. Frustrating, clearly, but hopefully easy to put right.
I agree with that. Unfortunately, there is always a bad apple in the sack, but dealer should fix it. I don't think gas is an issue, it sounds like fueling and/or fuel delivery.

·
Registered
218 Posts
This should not be true. A big part of the press launch was that as a true Dakar bike, it has been designed to accept any go juice you throw in it. Here in EU at least, the minimum fuel octane part of the sticker on the fuel tank of other bikes is absent on the AT

·
Registered
50 Posts
This should not be true. A big part of the press launch was that as a true Dakar bike, it has been designed to accept any go juice you throw in it. Here in EU at least, the minimum fuel octane part of the sticker on the fuel tank of other bikes is absent on the AT
I agree it shouldn't but it does seem to be the case...my understanding is that there is more likely to be water in cheap fuel which gets in fuel line?

·
Registered
34 Posts
When cold my dct will stumble and almost stall but never does actually stall, it will do this once upon initial start up and then never do it again for the rest of the day,other then that the bike runs flawlessly

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I've just dropped it off at the dealer. Tigerjohn's post convinced me. They made me sign an agreement for a diagnostic charge and said "if we find anything, it should be covered under warranty". Hoping that at least some DTCs show up. My guess is that it's a faulty IACV. Anyone happen to know where that part is made, or maybe have a work order showing theirs got replaced?

·
Registered
460 Posts
What's an IACV?
and what are DTC's
Sounds like you are seriously acquainted with engines and diagnostics - if so why the angst?
What mods if any have you done? Lots of people have screwed up their bike by adding stuff - especially those that can't seem to properly tighten battery terminal connections...

·
Registered
89 Posts
What's an IACV?
and what are DTC's
IACV - Idle Air Control Valve.....adjusts fuel/air mixture at idling, effectively idling speed. Runs off the ECU. A likely candidate, I agree.

DTC - Diagnostic Trouble Code.....hopefully something will appear.

Given the issues reported, I'm surprised the dealer wanted a charge for the testing. Perhaps customer service stops at the point of sale!

Let us know how it pans out. Good luck!

·
Registered
230 Posts
I did not find mine to be sensitive to any of the fuel I've thrown at it on a recent 11,500km trip. Some sketchy one-horse-town fillups included. I did notice that the bike made more power on some fuels than others. I also notice that if I start it before the fuel pump shuts off when I first turn the key, it would start and stall because the fuel pressure hadn't built up fully yet. The traction control kicking in cuts ignition and makes the engine sound like ****, I'm sure you know this but just thought I'd mention it just in case.

·
Registered
64 Posts
check the hose under the tank it was a issue on some bike that got sent out was pinched or routed wrong.
there's a thread someplace on it. dying after start or coming to stop once warm was the issues they had.
sounds the same to me or similar . search the forum
I would have had dealer do diagnostics for free on a new bike that's nuts takes a few minutes to hook up and see what's going on.
bad follow up on there parts talk to your sale person before you pay the bill. most times it will get comp for free.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Called the dealer today. Of course they're unable to reproduce the issue. From the way the conversation went, my guess is they forgot about me and are going to take a look at it tomorrow. Ridiculous. If they still can't find anything I'm just going to take it back and check under the tank for a pinched fuel line as others have mentioned.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got the bike back from the dealer today. They contacted Honda in California. Honda apparently said that the rough idle is simply an unfortunate characteristic of this engine configuration, but the user should not experience any stalls. They instructed the dealer to perform an ECM reset, which they claim they did. Riding the bike home it felt noticeably smoother. Thankfully it didn't die on me. Will post an update later after commuting on it for another week.

EDIT: I was not charged anything at all, not even for the diagnostic fee. That is a plus to having to be without my bike for a week :grin2:

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had mine die once mid corner after a couple of hours of riding. It was strange as there was no reason for it to do it then. Didn't have any issues before then or after that. It was just plain strange. I'm taking it to the garage soon and will see if they find anything. Im not expecting them to find much though...

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've had it die a few seconds after starting on a few occasions, but never when warm/riding aside from my own stall-outs. I just had the first service this week so will pay attention to see if it continues to die while warming up.
My bike (DCT) has been doing this since new. Sometimes it will run rough for a few seconds after start up but then smooth out, other times it will stall. I run 98 Octane so what i'm experiencing isn't low fuel quality related.

I ride home from work after midnight and right now temperatures are still near 20 centigrade at that time of night. As the evenings begin to cool down I'll be interested to see if things get worse because it does only seem to happen on the cooler nights. Cooler being a relative term!

Because it's one of those random faults I've filmed it on a couple of occasions with my mobile so I have something to show the dealer when it goes in next.

·
Registered
13 Posts
When cold my dct will stumble and almost stall but never does actually stall, it will do this once upon initial start up and then never do it again for the rest of the day,other then that the bike runs flawlessly
I had this issue the other day, just one time, didn't know why it happened. Also one time it died on me like I pulled the clutch to fast, but it's a DCT... Strange...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts