Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so here's the thing.. I have a 2017 DCT that occasionally will not start. Typically, you turn the key, thumb the starter, and all it does is click on the throttle side of the bike down by the DCT. It happens cold. It happens at normal operating temperature. It happens with the side stand up or down. It happens with the break applied or not. It happens whether the bike is turned of in neutral or not. Its entirely random, which concerns me. I bought this bike to go on extended rides. So far, I've only put 4300 miles on it because I'm worried that it will leave me caught out someday and not restart. The starter and battery are fine. If you let it set with the key off for a minute or so and then try again, it will start and run without issue. Anyone have any ideas what's going on here??

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was the starter button replaced as per recall action?
I just checked the Honda website. There doesn't appear to be a recall for the starter button for the 2017 DCT. The only thing listed is the center stand circlip - which has been replaced. But thanks for the point of interest. I'll research it some more.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I just checked the Honda website. There doesn't appear to be a recall for the starter button for the 2017 DCT. The only thing listed is the center stand circlip - which has been replaced. But thanks for the point of interest. I'll research it some more.
It's not an safety recall but it's a very well known problem of the 2016&2017 Africa Twin.

·
Super Moderator
1,779 Posts
Ok, so here's the thing.. I have a 2017 DCT that occasionally will not start. Typically, you turn the key, thumb the starter, and all it does is click on the throttle side of the bike down by the DCT. It happens cold. It happens at normal operating temperature. It happens with the side stand up or down. It happens with the break applied or not. It happens whether the bike is turned of in neutral or not. Its entirely random, which concerns me. I bought this bike to go on extended rides. So far, I've only put 4300 miles on it because I'm worried that it will leave me caught out someday and not restart. The starter and battery are fine. If you let it set with the key off for a minute or so and then try again, it will start and run without issue. Anyone have any ideas what's going on here??
Sounds like a DCT issue, especially because of the clicking noise, I’m guessing it’s not showing that it’s in neutral and the ECU is trying to put it in neutral when you turn the key on, maybe a faulty neutral sensor or shift position sensor(?) or that it’s shorting out. One other thing to try when it happens is to maybe rock the bike just to make sure it is indeed in neutral. Just a thought...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm guessing that it's a sensor as well. And yes, I rocked the bike. Actually had to push it across a parking lot to get it out of the way at the gas station. Unfortunately, I didn't see any codes flashing when it happened. Hopefully I can get it into the dealer this week. Thanks for your thoughts on the matter.

·
Super Moderator
1,779 Posts
I'm guessing that it's a sensor as well. And yes, I rocked the bike. Actually had to push it across a parking lot to get it out of the way at the gas station. Unfortunately, I didn't see any codes flashing when it happened. Hopefully I can get it into the dealer this week. Thanks for your thoughts on the matter.
I’m also kinda thinking.. Just maybe, a firmware glitch in the ECU(?). I’m guessing the dealer just might flash the ECU. Especially since it’s happening so randomly..Software/firmware, the Achilles heal of all the new and more complicated electronics..
I hope the dealer has a quick easy fix for your issue...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sometimes the most obvious problem is the one most easily overlooked. Bad cell in the battery. Holds enough juice to light everything up, not enough to start. It's the first battery I've had to replace in years.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As many people have mentioned on here before, there is no way to bump start a DCT. Time to get a portable charger and start carrying it. Sometimes I really miss having a clutch... sometimes.

·
Registered
60 Posts
To open this post again, my DCT has a duff battery. After a week left in the garage, battery turns engine over but fails to start. Then clicking sound. Charged up in 2 hours and starts. Next week same problem.
Bike is a 2017 with 5500 miles.
Bought new battery so will try it again next week.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts