Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi folks,
There are a lot discussions on suspension upgrades, that I tried to digest but still did not fully decide.
My focus is on heavy rider, not heavy duty rider or fast rider. I am 100kg (220lbs) fully geared and can't reach a reasonable SAG at max preload.
I tried the setting suggested by Ronbosgra in a older discussion here:

quoting:
"My setup:
  • FRONT preload: 8 turns, starting from full SOFT.
  • FRONT compression damping: 2 clicks from full TIGHT.
  • FRONT rebound: 2 and a half turn from full TIGHT.

• REAR preload: Maxed out, turned anti-clockwise untill you hear the first click.
  • REAR compression damping: stock settings (14 clicks from MAX).
  • REAR rebound: stock settings (11 clicks from MAX).

It woks fine for me. I feel more confident on road, the bike is more predictable and still confortable.
Anyway, I am thinking on upgrading, at least the shock spring to my weight. That should lead to a 9 to 9,5 kg/mm.
The Hyperpro kit (+20mm) seems to make sense here.
My front Rider´s SAG is ok, 28% at max preload, but rear is 40% at 30 cliks (5 from max).

I have two questions that I would like to have opinions from you guys:

-Should I go to fixed rate or progressive springs?
-Does make sense to upgrade just the rear coil? Does this reach the correct geometry (I mean, keeping the level frot/rear)?

Thanks for your thoughts.

António.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The linkage for the rear shock provides for progression. Get a fixed rate for the rear.

I'd be concerned about the damping settings on the fork. When you're that close to fully closing or opening the valving by click settings, you're pretty much out of adjustment capability...the last couple clicks make no difference.
A re-valve service may be in order.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.
May be I will try a little more these settings to have more experience and. Not yet off road with these.
Then I will decide.
Thanks.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thanks.
May be I will try a little more these settings to have more experience and. Not yet off road with these.
Then I will decide.
Thanks.
Moby, I had similar issues with my 2018 ATAS. I am 195lbs and with crash bars and full panniers I couldn't come close to a proper SAG with the stock suspension at max preload. I had routine bottoming of the suspension during what I would term moderate off-road. I swapped out the the rear spring for a K-Tech: 2018 Honda CRF1000LA ADVENTURE Honda CRF1000L , Honda CRF1100L rear shock spring, direct replacement, K-tech Suspension (ktechsuspensionusa.com) This resolved the bottoming issue on the back and allowed proper SAG with 1 click of preload. A huge improvement.

For the forks I am swapping to Hyperpro progressive front springs without the +20mm (ATAS is tall enough). Springs - Hyperpro After discussions with Hyperpro, they stated revalving wouldn't be necessary (we'll see). I am going with progressives because I believe it is a better all-around solution since I ride variable surface from moderate off-road, to twisty back roads, to sand, to freeway. I will report back once I have had the springs on, but have read they do a good job of eliminating the bottoming and front dive. I am awaiting a couple of fork consumables from Partzilla, but once those arrive I will be swapping the fork springs. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Moby, I had similar issues with my 2018 ATAS. I am 195lbs and with crash bars and full panniers I couldn't come close to a proper SAG with the stock suspension at max preload. I had routine bottoming of the suspension during what I would term moderate off-road. I swapped out the the rear spring for a K-Tech: 2018 Honda CRF1000LA ADVENTURE Honda CRF1000L , Honda CRF1100L rear shock spring, direct replacement, K-tech Suspension (ktechsuspensionusa.com) This resolved the bottoming issue on the back and allowed proper SAG with 1 click of preload. A huge improvement.

For the forks I am swapping to Hyperpro progressive front springs without the +20mm (ATAS is tall enough). Springs - Hyperpro After discussions with Hyperpro, they stated revalving wouldn't be necessary (we'll see). I am going with progressives because I believe it is a better all-around solution since I ride variable surface from moderate off-road, to twisty back roads, to sand, to freeway. I will report back once I have had the springs on, but have read they do a good job of eliminating the bottoming and front dive. I am awaiting a couple of fork consumables from Partzilla, but once those arrive I will be swapping the fork springs. Hope this helps.
Do you happen to know the length and diameter of the stock or replacement spring?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Do you happen to know the length and diameter of the stock or replacement spring?
Sorry tex06, I do not and since it is on the bike it would not be a very accurate measurement. You could try calling KTech, mine is a 95n spring for the ATAS. (631) 231-9556

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Thanks. Sure it helps. As I have a variable range of situations and don't want to loose comfort, probably progressive makes more sense.

·
Registered
30 Posts
So I have some experience with both setups and I weigh about the same as you.

• Hyperpro Springs front and rear (+20 or Heavy Duty from Touratech)
    • With this setup I had 0 turns on preload on front and rear with just the rider to achieve 30% sag on both ends
    • This was good for me because I had a lot of headroom on preload for gear and accessories.
      • Also I am an experienced offroad rider and I tend to push the bike hard
    • Fully loaded (90 lbs additional pounds of gear I would be about 17 - 20 turns on the rear and it felt really good on road.
    • On trail I would normally run around 45 pounds of gear in the panniers and it still felt really good.
    • Fork requires a change to 15 weight oil
    • Overall I think this progressive spring upgrade is really good. The upgrades retains the plushness on the bottom of the stroke and greatly increases the bottoming resistance.
    • Downside of this setup is that it may require some adjustments to compression and rebound when changing preload for pillion weight changes.
    • Requires a good shock spring compressor to put the rear spring on if you plan to DIY it. I used a cheap one and thought it was going to explode at any moment.

• Ohlins Fork Cartridge and Shock with linear springs.
    • This may not be a fair comparison because all of the suspension internals are different then the stock suspension
    • Spring Front 7.5 N/m, Rear 105 N/m
    • Similar to the Hyperpro setup I don't have any preload with just the rider to achieve 30% sag; Which is what I wanted
    • Doesn't seem as plush as progressive springs
      • Not harsh just more controlled; probably because of the improved damping
    • Feels like there is more bottoming resistance
    • It feels like the wheel follows the ground better; more predictable
    • Each click on compression and rebound are more significant - not a fair comparison, I know.

Kind of a ramble and my not be useful info but the bottom line, for me, is that I think the progressive spring upgrade from Hyperpro is a really good investment. I think for most people it will work very well. The main reason I moved to Ohlins is because I reached the limit of damping and needed greater control. Depending on your skill purchasing all new suspension can be a diminishing return but that is really up to the rider and how they ride and what they want out of the bike.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
So I have some experience with both setups and I weigh about the same as you.

• Hyperpro Springs front and rear (+20 or Heavy Duty from Touratech)
    • With this setup I had 0 turns on preload on front and rear with just the rider to achieve 30% sag on both ends
    • This was good for me because I had a lot of headroom on preload for gear and accessories.
      • Also I am an experienced offroad rider and I tend to push the bike hard
    • Fully loaded (90 lbs additional pounds of gear I would be about 17 - 20 turns on the rear and it felt really good on road.
    • On trail I would normally run around 45 pounds of gear in the panniers and it still felt really good.
    • Fork requires a change to 15 weight oil
    • Overall I think this progressive spring upgrade is really good. The upgrades retains the plushness on the bottom of the stroke and greatly increases the bottoming resistance.
    • Downside of this setup is that it may require some adjustments to compression and rebound when changing preload for pillion weight changes.
    • Requires a good shock spring compressor to put the rear spring on if you plan to DIY it. I used a cheap one and thought it was going to explode at any moment.
  • Ohlins Fork Cartridge and Shock with linear springs.
    • This may not be a fair comparison because all of the suspension internals are different then the stock suspension
    • Spring Front 7.5 N/m, Rear 105 N/m
    • Similar to the Hyperpro setup I don't have any preload with just the rider to achieve 30% sag; Which is what I wanted
    • Doesn't seem as plush as progressive springs
      • Not harsh just more controlled; probably because of the improved damping
    • Feels like there is more bottoming resistance
    • It feels like the wheel follows the ground better; more predictable
    • Each click on compression and rebound are more significant - not a fair comparison, I know.

Kind of a ramble and my not be useful info but the bottom line, for me, is that I think the progressive spring upgrade from Hyperpro is a really good investment. I think for most people it will work very well. The main reason I moved to Ohlins is because I reached the limit of damping and needed greater control. Depending on your skill purchasing all new suspension can be a diminishing return but that is really up to the rider and how they ride and what they want out of the bike.

Thanks Spyder
Excelent explanation.
My experience is short and I go slow, so the risk of bottoming is low,
From what I read about it, the Hyperpro seem a good solution and more than enough for my skills.
Thanks.[/QUOTE]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts