Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Well, a thousand AU dollars (760 US dollars) could be considered a little shabby when you realize MCCruise uses the same control module that Brandon Distributing in Michigan uses for their motorcycle and automotive cruise control units and sells for $188 USD as a stand alone and $380 USD as a kit for a specific make model motorcycle. But maybe the fact that MCCruise does nice work and has been around the motorcycle cruise control business a long time is worth the extra cost.

If you are a good fabricator, can read a schematic and solder, you should be able to purchase the module (SmartLine AP500) from Brandon, a Trail Tech control switch and come up with a good working, full featured cruise control for a little over $200. If someone living near Minneapolis MN wants to turn their AT over to Brandon to develop an installation kit, they might get the CC free and will do a service to their AT brethren all over the globe. Their site: http://www.brandondist.com/motorcycle-cruise-controls.html

You might wonder how I know this. I have an FJ-09 (Tracer) and bought one of the early Brandon kits for it through the FJ-09 forum. Because I still owned a NC700XD at the time, I called Brandon to see if they could come up with a kit for it. Joe Brandon needed an NC700 volunteer and I posted on the NC700 forum. Eventually one of the guys connected with the company and participated in developing the kit. http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-...-needed-2.html?highlight=ap500+cruise+control . It's still not to market, but should be any day.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The McCruise conrol module for CRF 1000 L is not the same as for KTM 1xxx or Yamaha MT09. That's true, that McCruise uses the same AP900C control module for these ride-by-wire -bikes, as Brandondist/Powercell.

But, for CRF 1000 L they use different control module and separate electronic servo because the CRF has the cable driven throttle. So the Brandondist/Powercell -package is not an option for McCruise on CRF 1000 L. The option for McCruise is the Rostra cruise control, the Audiovox CCS100 or the AP500 that are for cable driven throttle. That's true that they are cheaper than McCruise, but these are not any "bolt-on" packages, but you must yourself figure it out how to assemble it.

Living outside US I would not dare to buy the Bradondist/Powercell CC even for the ride-by-wire -bikes, since they had very difficult quality problems on KTM sets (KTM 1190 CC -thread on advrider.com) and for some customers it has been very hard to get the CC working. Living outside US the price difference may go to postal expenses when sending non working harnesses and units back an forth. On McCruise I've red just positive comments.

Mounting the Rostra/AP500/CCS100 cruise control on the CRF 1000 L is doable, but requires some technical and electrical skills. I would skip the Audiovox CCS 100 and the AP500 since they have vacuum servo and would use the Rostra 250-1223 with electric servo. The Rostra works fine on my -07 GS. I'm seriously considering the CRF for my next bike. Since suffering wrist problems the CC is must for me. If someone ends up to Rostra, the cost of the unit and switches is about 300 $. I would use the Trail tech switch and skip the Rostra switch.

Attachments

·
Registered
379 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
I got my McCruise installed on my Honda CRF 1000 L. I had about a week holiday after Christmas. I think I worked with the bike about 1-2 hrs per day, but I also made other installations at the same time when the fairings and tank were off.

The instructions were very good and detailed with the good pictures. I didn't have any troubles at all. If something could be better on instructions, the torque values of bolts from workshop manual could be added.

I didn't yet finnish adjusting the cruise cable since I've succeeded emptying the tank on October so good that the bike didn't start. I don't like gas smelling in my garage during winter. I'll report finnishing and testing on April, when the snow is gone and birds singing again.

I ordered the set from the English dealer. If some warranty issue may occur, it's cheaper to return things from Finland to England than Australia.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Yes, he just needs a test bike for fitment.
Vinnie, about the time you took your bike over to Brandon, he dropped off the radar. Then his website was closed down. One of the FJ-09 forum guys said Joe had taken sick but had no other information. The phone number is out of service. Do you know what's going on there - and did you get a CC fitted to your bike?

Bill

·
Registered
148 Posts
Expensive, but now after first test ride, worth its price. Instant and smooth engage, instant but smooth cancel by brakes, clutch or cancel-button. Instant and smooth reset, smooth return to the engaged speed after overtaking. Installing was easy with good instructions, but time consuming, due the need to remove fairings, tank and airbox. The only wire requiring soldering was speed sensor wire to speedometer wire. Else, just plug&play.

Now just waiting the last snow to melt. Didn't got spiked tires for this winter.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I made a short video about the MCCruise cruise control on my AT.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/0LUBcxV2fu0

Working good, still very happy, ridigulous big sum of money well spent. MCCruise keeps the set speed very accurate, better than Rostra on my previous -07 GS. The biggest advantage is when accelerating for overtaking, after that it returns smooth and accurate back to set speed, without any surging or overshooting.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts