Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there,

I'm new in the forum so let me say hello to everyone :)
I own a 2019 Africa Twin (SD06; no DCT) and currently have the OEM plastic panniers.

What can I say... I absolutely hate them.

Before I had the Africa Twin my ride was a Suzuki SV650x with the SW-Motech Blaze panniers. And I realy loved those. Light as a feather and super decent rack. Sadly these panniers are not available for the AT so I'm looking for other options.
I already found the typical suspects: SW-Motech, Hepco&Becker, Mosko Moto, Enduristan, Kriega, even Givi.

But they all have one thing in common: They need a rack! And if I f.e. take a SW-Motech rack I almost have the same amount of weight on my bike, then what I would have with the OEM plastic panniers, who don't need a rack.

Let's talk about my current favourites:
2x Kriega OS-32 + Kriega Honda X-Pannier = 9,4 KG empty.

Honda OEM plastic boxes = 8,2 KG.

Is the investment in softluggage therefore really worth it?

·
Super Moderator
6,788 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Henrik!

My way of getting the rackless panniers to work is to not use panniers at all. I know, not helpful to you.

We'll see how long I can preach this. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey,
this also is my option right now for solo trips. I much rather just take a drybag and get everything on the backseat. There is only one problem; I need to be able to carry stuff and a second person aswell. My gf sits quite high on a drybag ?

·
Registered
409 Posts
I am in a similar boat to you, my bike already weighs enough with my fat carcass on it and Im really not keen on racks (scaffolding I used to call it) but I really miss the load carrying my OE panniers gave me on my 17 plate CRF1000.
Now I have a CRF1100 and want to make the right choice whilst keeping its good lines.

Has anyone got any thoughts or can tell me why I shouldn't use the Kriega US dry bag system like this...

No Rack and no fuss Kriega

The Kriega bags are bulletproof Ive had one for 10 years and its still going great.
Id love peoples thoughts before I spend a lot of money I can't afford to lose.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I have LoneRider motobags for the Africa Twin - they're excellent, easily adapt for add-ons, and collapse when not in use.
I have Mosko Moto on my smaller bike and they are also excellent and offer a lot of add-ons for gear.
I've used hard luggage for years but don't really miss them on the AT. It's considerable weight savings for soft vs hard luggage but I really think the ability to add on additional pouches is the thing that sealed the deal for me.
The Kriega system looks very slick and is highly reviewed. Fairly pricey, too.

·
Super Moderator
6,788 Posts
I have LoneRider motobags for the Africa Twin - they're excellent, easily adapt for add-ons, and collapse when not in use.
I have Mosko Moto on my smaller bike and they are also excellent and offer a lot of add-ons for gear.
I've used hard luggage for years but don't really miss them on the AT. It's considerable weight savings for soft vs hard luggage but I really think the ability to add on additional pouches is the thing that sealed the deal for me.
The Kriega system looks very slick and is highly reviewed. Fairly pricey, too.
Now we're talkin'. These do look interesting (and I don't like panniers).

·
Registered
577 Posts
I am waiting to test this Kriega setup"
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive exhaust Exhaust system

I think I am almost there but passed on the SWM racks and went with TUSK (RMATV) for the racks

·
Registered
577 Posts
Hello there,

Is the investment in softluggage therefore really worth it?
Definitely yes if you're riding a mix of roads.
Most touring owners will be fine with OEM Honda panniers.
I don't get softbags on AT's who never go offroad.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey,

if you never go offroad you don't "need" softluggage; but what benefits do you get from having softluggage offroad, if you need racks and therefore add even more wait to your bike's butt then with the OEM? im not talking about iron panniers here.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Many owners have tried the OEM panniers offroad with bad results.
As far as weight goes, it is more important what you pack in your panniers. In most cases, the rack weight becomes negligible if you don't pack your 'kitchen sink' on a trip :)

Main benefit of having soft luggage offroad is that they will mitigate injury to your legs. Sooner than later, the bike will be on top of you; they like it.
Another benefit is that you can ride past obstacles that you can't with rigid boxes.

Main disadvantage of soft luggage while touring is that you can't secure them as easy.
Another is that they are not as good as protection for fragile items.

·
Super Moderator
6,788 Posts
As far as weight goes, it is more important what you pack in your panniers. In most cases, the rack weight becomes negligible if you don't pack your 'kitchen sink' on a trip :)

Main benefit of having soft luggage offroad is that they will mitigate injury to your legs. Sooner than later, the bike will be on top of you; they like it.
Another benefit is that you can ride past obstacles that you can't with rigid boxes.

Main disadvantage of soft luggage while touring is that you can't secure them as easy.
Securing the soft bags has always been an issue that seems, for the interim anyways, worked-around with cables and locks. It slows you down, but I suspect that is a cost for a peace-of-mind. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I’m looking at getting the Givi GRT709 soft bags...they’re not the best looking option out there but I like the feature of being able to lock them in place. Now just struggling to find suitable racks... ??‍♂

·
Super Moderator
6,788 Posts
I’m looking at getting the Givi GRT709 soft bags...they’re not the best looking option out there but I like the feature of being able to lock them in place. Now just struggling to find suitable racks... ??‍♂
Those dang pannier racks. :mad:

·
Registered
991 Posts
They are fantastic. All the benefits of hard luggage without the weight and they are quite modular. Not as much as the Kriega.
I have them on SW Motech racks so two minutes and the whole works come right off.
They flatten to about 3-4", so I just leave them on the bike except in the winter for more room in the garage and storage.
I have the OEM luggage (haven't used it) and it's certainly not much lighter, if at all, than racks and soft bags.

Now we're talkin'. These do look interesting (and I don't like panniers).

View attachment 54227

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the discussion guys!
I will dftly not change my luggage but as soon as my OEMs break i will replace them by softluggage.

After some research I think that my personal best way would be to get these GIVI or sw-motech (is this brand popular in, wherever you are? or just a german thing?) racks that are quickly detachable and get a set of softluggage that is also usable as a saddlebag with connection zips over the backseat. If my woman is riding with me I use the racks, otherwhise i save the 9KG and strap them on over the backseat.

Stay healthy, stay home ;)

·
Registered
415 Posts

This is all very true.
Another thing to consider is that items stored in hard cases will often be vaporized on rough roads. Food items are often reduced to dust (with the vibration) when in hard cases not so in soft cases. PCs and electronics do not like long trips in hard cases without very good protection around them. You have to be very carfull not to put plastic and alloy cans against a hard case otherwise they will very rapidly wear through the container.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Good points.
Also, the OEM panniers shake like this offroad:
Great if you're making scrambled eggs :)

Fictional character Transformers Anime Sportswear Games

Reactions: DoubleThumper

·
Registered
21 Posts
They are fantastic. All the benefits of hard luggage without the weight and they are quite modular. Not as much as the Kriega.
I have them on SW Motech racks so two minutes and the whole works come right off.
They flatten to about 3-4", so I just leave them on the bike except in the winter for more room in the garage and storage.
I have the OEM luggage (haven't used it) and it's certainly not much lighter, if at all, than racks and soft bags.

Hi SF.

Glad you endorse the GIVI's! I would tend to leave them on the bike when not in use (back end protection for the inevitable drop on trails), would you mind uploading a photo or two of them "stowed" please? Just to see how they look... ?

·
Registered
991 Posts

Reactions: DoubleThumper

·
Registered
3 Posts
  • I run the mosko reckless 80 on my atas. They have only been used to do covid grocery runs thus far. They really are quite slick imo. Lots of attachment options etc. I was between mosko and giant loop Great Basin and went for the mosko because they were more expensive ?. Wantend the GL because they seem like the more authentic option used amongst BDR junkies and they are made in the U.S vs Vietnam I belive? Anyways.. those Moskos are pretty awsome. Very robust and thick materials. I cant wait to intentionally smear a bunch of red rock clay onto the fabric of the bags.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts