Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some reason, the question of tire pressure keeps pestering my brain amidst watching the Dakar and all of the Moto participants' IG videos of them riding 5 different types of terrain in either a full day or within 10-15 miles.

My question - What have you guys either experienced, keep consistent, general rule of thumb or do you just "run what you brung" and don't bother to do anything in regards to your PSI when you ride the following terrains:

• Dirt
  • Sand
  • Mud
  • Heavily Rocked
  • That slimy, Slippery Mud
  • **** you talkin' bout Willis?

I typically try to air down on my Africa Twin (Tubed) quite significantly during rides in either inclement weather or dirt/sand to about 12F/15R but I am also on a 500lb bike and I am significantly heavier than your normal dude @ 300lbs. However, my riding buddy doesn't give a **** and keeps his tires right around 42F/44R which I found to be super sketchy in the Nevada desert a few months back.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Tyres and pressures can be pretty subjective. I run a TKC80 front and Motoz Tractionator GPS rear. This is a good all-round 50-50 set up that works for me. The pressures I run:
Road: 30F/38R
General off-road: 26/30. Quite often though I can't be bothered to air down unless it starts to get a bit sketchy.
Sand: 16/18
Mud I avoid wherever possible because the GPS rear doesn't hook up real well, so I'll use whatever pressure will give me traction.
Sharp rocks: If I'm going somewhere I know to be rocky, I'll swap the tyres over to Tractionator Adventures. They have a very tough carcass that copes real well with that stuff. I'll use the same pressures I do for road riding.
I weigh 100 kg (220lbs).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts