Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are most guys doing with their AT. Percentage of dirt to highway. How technical is the dirt. How far on highway. Is the perfect scenario 50/50 with tamed dirt fire roads. We’ve seen all the YouTube vids of pros riding this beast in the dirt. But a 450 it’s not. Especially for the majority of us. It’s also not a Gold Wing as far as comfort on long hauls. I know it’s like the other dual sport bikes, the GS, KTM, etc.. but with it doing neither dirt or street great, for me it’s got to be a 50/50 bike and utilized as such. (But not on single track stuff.)
Hmm the big adventure dual sport dilemma is a learning curve for me. I’ve ridden both desert 450, and street hard. But this AT, which I love, but not always sure where it’s happiest.
So what’s your favorite type of ride on the AT?

·
Registered
284 Posts
When I decided to get another motorcycle after so many years, the idea was a bike that could handle fire trails with effortless aplomb and 80-90% of the typical off-road stuff at an old-man, slow steady pace. I'm never going to bang it in any crazy off-road antics or Montée Impossible type stuff. And I wanted a bike that could eat up the miles on the highway with ease and comfort.

I wanted a bike that could go *anywhere* and to do it comfortably and with ease.

I choose the 2018 ATAS after nearly a year of research—the last several months of that, really digging in and watching and reading just about everything I could find on the main Big-Three Adventure Bikes.

I've got less than 1000 miles on my bike, but so far, she has filled the bill to perfection. It’s got all the power I could want (and more) on the road and handles the limited off-road stuff I’ve done to this point with poise that fills me with a youthful confidence.

I’ve put about 50 miles off-road since installing the engine crash bars, up in the George Washington and Jefferson National Forests; some of those trails are good and rocky and nothing you’d call easy. But even with the OEM tires, the bike handled wonderfully. I won’t pretend I did anything too serious, it was all slow and easy, given I don’t have knobbies yet (and more importantly, I don’t want to break any old bones) but the bike seemed downright hungry to attack just about anything I put in front of her.

For a bike that does so well on the road, I was surprised at just how well she handles the off-road stuff. Power to spare in every scenario thus far. Handles hills and hard dirt, gravel and a rocky path, even with the OEM tires, like she’s in her element. She’s got more power than I’ll ever use off-road; fairly growls up hills like a tractor.

In conclusion: The purpose of my ATAS was to do it all well, to do long highway miles comfortably and to get me to wherever I wanted to go off-road. In the end, I’m hoping for something around 60-40, on/off road (but I'll probably settle for 70/30), after getting the off-road protection on. I don’t want to go fast or hard off road—I did enough of that when I was younger. Now, I can’t tell you how much enjoyment I get from simply riding easy down old trails, fire trails, exploring Virginia’s MVUMs, pulling off every now and then to take in the scenery. I could spend the whole day never getting above 30 mph, and I’d be happy. Throw in a few challenging hills or slightly dodgy passes, and I'm on cloud nine.

Reactions: geirvmax and Troops

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Garyh... Thanks for the reply. I agree, once I got the essentials for off road , away I went. Also I enjoy the fact that if I see a trail from the highway it’s fair game. I’ve gone down in the dirt , riding too hard. Have to remember hiow big it is. Also get all the protective gear on you can. Yes"... I find myself riding on the hwy just to get to a good trail. Adventure!
GA

·
Registered
223 Posts
Having done only 2500klm's on my AT I say the name AT says it all, All Terrain, I use it on the black top to get to the fun stuff offroad, Im near 60 & don't ride hard but love to get the AT out onto the dirt, twist the throttle & powerslide around every corner I see, I have taken some wrong turns & ended up on some rocky trails more suited to a 300 Berg, the AT handled it surprisingly well, just had to take it easy banging the front wheel into the rocks as thats when you really notice the weight & suspension limitations, I'm very surprised & happy how the AT handles rough fire roads, it feels so stable & planted much more so than my KTM500 that skits around, I have the DCT model & find its just so controllable with the throttle for feet up power slides & climbing rocky hills, big grin factor, shame it hasnt got another 50hp to really put the wow factor in the AT like the big katos but saying that with my skill level & another 50hp might just put me just put me upside down in a ditch & shred my tyres even quicker. the last ride I did, the new rear tyre tread went down from 19mm to 12mm on a 550klm ride, makes having fun expensive.
THE AT is great all round bike that feels best on the dirt, once I sort out the wind buffeting it will be great 50/50 bike

·
Registered
55 Posts
Before purchasing AT I ruled it out because of what looked to me, too much off road bias. I am not a fan to learn off roading on heavy and expensive bike. And also not sure I am keen on getting mud all over the place.

However I ended up with Africa Twin DCT because there was too good to be true offer. I even bought it without test ride, it was such a bargain!

Now as I have it, I still do not use it off road. But I found it comfortable, with actually good handling and easy to ride long tarmac distances. It is quite frugal, and I comfortably and consistently getting over 200 miles before I need to refuel. The soft, long travel suspension proved to be advantage on not so smooth UK roads too. The DCT splits opinions, but nevertheless is unique feature in motorcycle world and I mostly like it. And for me it has plenty of "go" for a road usage. Flipping few gears down to make fast overtakes is a doodle with DCT. That's enough for me.

In addition, I like how it looks, best adventure styled bike in my eyes.

I think it's quite good bike that can truly do everything not best but very well. Would I buy it again? Not at a full price I'd admit, but so far I'm happy and it may be a keeper.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I ride exclusively on the road because there's no place to ride offroad, but because there are so many unpaved county roads around here, I decided on this to increase my choices and reduce the pucker factor. Took it on a 4000-mile highway trip this summer, and it was the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden. Bar risers and high windscreen helped, I'm sure.

I see all these people who treat it like a dirtbike and try to throw it around in the boulders and mud, but I think it was designed for low-effort long-distance traveling on whatever road or dirt track you come across. Like in Africa, maybe...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Who needs to take them off-road with so many bloody pot holes

Perfect bike for me...want to ride every day, and being retired there is nothing to stop me, oh, hang on, just remembered why I can't go every day
Need permission...duh

·
Registered
10 Posts
Still on the stock tires, so I have avoided too much off road riding. I went from a KLR 650 to the AT, so it takes some getting used. I didn't mind dropping the KLR (or the Suzuki DRS350 I also had) in the dirt, but am reluctant to subject an $11,000+ bike to such abuse. Maybe after its been dropped a few times I will care less. Once I remount tires, I plan more dirt, but I suspect it will still been more like 60/40 street to dirt.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Bought my ATAS in June and have spent about 50/50 on road and off, so far I appsolutlly love it on both tarmac and dirt roads/trails. Took it on a 4 day ride on the WABDR and came away extremely impressed with its off road capabilities. My days of screaming along the dirt trails on a dirt bike are over. I wanted comfort and luggage capabilities for over night stays. This bike has not disappointed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thought I would ride 50/50 when I bought mine after upgrading from a KLR. Truth is, it's more like 70/30. At 60+ yrs I'm hesitant to ride much dirt alone since I'm unable to pick her up unassisted... Absolutely love the bike!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
To answer your question I'll just tell you what I did on one long weekend. After work on Thursday evening and Friday morning I rode 800 miles from Florida to Virginia on the stock tires. I spooned on a TKC80 front and Midas 07+ rear Friday afternoon. Saturday and Sunday I rode the Shenandoah 500 Dual Sport ride. Not the adventure route, the dual sport route including the difficult A options. Then Sunday afternoon and night I rode the 792 miles home and made it to work by 7:00 am Monday.
I don't think there is a better bike for that trip. I will tell you that the fuel economy is only 31/mpg at sustained 85-90 mph speeds.
I followed that up with riding the Trans Florida rally this weekend. Not bad for 2 weekends in a row.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Bought because, I like the upright position and it's available with DCT. BMW don't offer this option, along with all other motorbike manufacturers. I also really like the look and the way it rides. Had mine just about a month now and just over 2000 miles. Still very pleased with it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Its a fantastic commuter for me which is my main use - the DCT is awesome in heavy motorway traffic, it filters well, high visibility from the seat, great seat position, highly visible to car drivers due to the height of the bike, very responsive engine, superb brakes, lots of storage options, easy comfortable pillion seat, easy to ride, very safe, can do any gravel road and it's a good motorway long-distance bike. In summary 4 - 4.5/5 for almost everything means 5/5 overall

1 - 14 of 14 Posts