Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Do you have any old batteries in your shed?

I've heard stories of mechanics tools rusting in a shed all of a sudden and the culprit was some funky chemical reaction thing going on with the old battery. Anything metal in his shed was corroding.

For the rusting to be so widespread, all indicators point to something weird happening in the environment the bike has been stored in or it has had a bath in the ocean.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i have noted quite a few of the a twins.have small lines of rust as in your fourth pic ..in the meeting point of the frame welds...just bad quality control.i am sure if owners have a close look they will find small slits/cracks in the paint in this area...as for the rest just crap quality parts

·
Registered
24 Posts
As you will see from my post earlier today about the poor finish on my AT. I think we can all accept that parts break or rust but to have these issues from new really knocks my confidence in the quality Honda is producing. Honda is a premium brand and ought to be using premium finished parts.

·
Registered
72 Posts
As you will see from my post earlier today about the poor finish on my AT. I think we can all accept that parts break or rust but to have these issues from new really knocks my confidence in the quality Honda is producing. Honda is a premium brand and ought to be using premium finished parts.
Who says Honda is a premium brand? They certainly do not charge premium prices,particularly for the AT.If you want a premium brand,then you will probably have to pay BMW prices.Cannot have it both ways.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was an owner of a brand new BMW Gs Dakar in 2004 when I rode up through Norway and into the Arctic circle. ( 3 week trip so nothing major. ) The bike was 6 months old by the end of the trip and ended up having two grands worth of warranty work on the paintwork and engine casings suffering from corrosion.

My Point is that as consumers we have the right to expect goods that are to a standard that aren't made from putty and cheaply coated metals.

To me the value of the bike is reflected in my confidence for it to take me to the places I want to ride, safely and reliable. When you see your bike turning to tat within months of manufacture tells me that the Manufacturer is risking their reputation on losing the customers confidence in there product no matter what the cost of the product.

I love the AT but will think twice before buying another Honda. Perhaps Honda need to wake up to the fact that brand loyalty might end uo being as thin and tacky as the paint they put on their parts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Wasn't the factory where the AT was made underwater for a while? I seem to remember something about production being slow due to a disaster of some sort....?

·
Registered
797 Posts
If you want a premium brand,then you will probably have to pay BMW prices.Cannot have it both ways.
A guy on ukGSer was complaining of exactly the same rusting of tools under his seat on his GS. It really must come down to local environmental condition as these tools are made in their hundred of thousands and they all don't corrode like so.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Too bad we can't tell where the bike was ridden....
I have an RV, at less than 6 months old, the underside frame and fasteners had corrosion similar to this bike. It looks like a 20 year old trailer, not a 6 month old one. It was manufactured in Indiana, then transported on salted or treated
roads, we surmise. The salt and other chemicals on frozen roads is extremely corrosive if not washed off real quick....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts