Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, wondering if any Givi XS 320 tank bag owners can answer my questions about this bag. I don't have an Africa twin unfortunately....but a lowly Vstrom 650 (2017).
I'm looking for a tank bag for my touring setup and by eye balling the photos, it looks like the 320 is really what I am after when it comes to features , size and shape. About two weeks ago someone on the Stromtroopers forum stated how well the 320 fits the Strom tank. Said he modified the Givi bag by rotating the ring. I asked a supplemental question , but the person has not returned to the forum. I contacted Givi asking if it was feasible to mod the bag this way and got a definite no, that this bag would only fit the Africa Twin.
So my question is about how the bag is built and how the unique ring differs from other Givi tank rings. Does it look like if you rotated the mounting mechanism on the bag and re drilled it, would it fit on the bottom of the bag symmetrically? I'm assuming a 90 degree rotation is what he did. Would you likely have to modify the tank receptacle in terms of making a new notch? Any observations about why this is a bad idea appreciated. ALso, the one other thing I'd like is to modify the bag to accept knap sack shoulder straps. Think this would be feasible?
Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Yes, GIVI rotated the notches on the tank ring by 90 degrees to the right (anti-clockwise) for the XS320, who knows why... probably to sell something "specific" for the Africa Twin.
I had the same problem: I wanted to mount the Givi's ST602 tank-lock bag, which is not produced for the Africa, on my AT, so I had to modify something. Instead of rotate the mount ring on the bag, I preferred to create two supplemental notches on the plastic ring that is fixed onto the tank. I did this because I thought I didn't want to "ruin" the bag, making 4 new holes in the base and also because if you modify the bag (instead of the ring), you have the unlocking lever on the handlebar side, instead of the lateral one, which is not very comfortable.
Making the notches on the tank ring was pretty simple with a dremel. Just be sure to measure precisely in order to have the bag straight when you mount it on the bike. I'll add a couple of images of my work and the final result.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also, curious if this will interfere with my handle bars at full lock. Anyone know the width when loaded at the front of the bag??

·
Registered
114 Posts
I might try that notch idea on mine I have the smallest Givi tank loc bag on my Suzuki GSX-S1000. Would love to ditch the big Givi tank bag on the AT at times in favor of the smaller tank bag off the Suzuki.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I currently have a Wolfman Explorer lite in my possession which is boxed up for return. It is a good fit and build quality, but I do not want to deal with the straps compared to the Givi mount. I have added a heated clothing circuit to my bike and also plan on buying a Helite turtle airbag vest, which would also strap in and just be too busy around that part of the tank . My main beef with the straps is that I would have to deal with them each time the bag is off. I also like how much extra space you get when the XS 320 is expanded and how it has a 15 litre capacity when zipped up. The other similar Givi bags start at 20 litres, which I feel will be too bulky. My gut feeling is that the Givi mount works better than the SW Motech one....but maybe that is not the case. Wish I could see one locally without mail ordering it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts