Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, myself and a couple of mates are doing a 6 day trip to Scotland from the southeast the first day will be going from Southend to Dumfries Where we will stay for the first night the next day will be doing some routes and ending up in Aviemore. This is where we will be staying for the next 3 nights....
My mate is planning on us being able to cover 250-300miles a day in these 3 days my question is,,is this possible we will not be touching main roads ,well as little as possible.. I ask as watching you tube vids this seems to be a big ask as the roads are very tight and twisty..

Im wondering if planning our days on a more realistic distance would be better. I dont really want to end up spending 12/14 hours in the saddle if i can help it, i think 10 would be fine..

·
Registered
797 Posts
It’s easy enough doing it on your own, riding in a group usually adds time as you end up riding to the slowest riders pace.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I don't think the roads are that tight and twisty. As a group just make sure when 1 refuels, you all do. It's dire when someone reckons they have sufficient only to alert you 60 miles down the road that they now need fuel. All those 5-10 minute stops add up..as do photo stops etc. Alternatively, ID somewhere to stop for morning coffee/lunch etc and set off knowing that if you get split up, you'll meet at ### at 11ish (insert your own timings here) for a brew etc.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
250 to 300 miles in Scotland is doable but won’t be much fun. You will have to be pressing on and wont really have time to take in the scenery
Mike

·
Registered
400 Posts
Big miles are fine to get to where you want to be or get home. I don't see the point in big miles when you are where you want to be. Enjoy your breakfast, coffee stops, pee stops and stops where you just sit and admire the view. Leave enough time for a shower and some grub and a few pints at the end of the day. Personally riding from 10.00 to 1700 would be my target, that's only a 7 hour day out but enjoyable.
I have done several bike tours around Aviemore and there are some great roads up there but more land than roads. So day 'loops' can be rather large.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Getting there and coming home, no problem, riding in the highlands, you might want to ask yourself why your going there? Do you want to enjoy riding and the view, or just thrash round the roads at speed? It ain’t like it used to be, there’s a lot more grockle traffic these days, so in a group, it can be a tad tiresome, unless you all make your own way to each stop.

I’d say 150-200 max a day with plenty of stops to take in the views, drink coffee, have something to eat. 3-5 hour’s a day is plenty, otherwise you’ll go home and need another couple of days rest to recover. I’ve based my tours from invergarry before, you can then choose each day, where you want to go, West, north, east or south, depending on where the suns shining.

·
Registered
47 Posts
yeh i think that sort of mileage would be too much...rule of thumb west is best ..i would avoid east of the A9 with the exception of the cainrgorms national park area. and the east coast north of inverness

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mind you it is May already and you might not want to lift your visor when you do stop ??
:grin2::grin2: were not going till next month so im hopeing i will be able to lift my visor :grin2:
I have a month to convince people that 150/200 a day will make for a better time by the looks of it thanks for the tips :wink2:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why would you want to do 300 miles in a day up here ? Of course it can be done I just question why ?
I dont want to..... But the rest of the group think this is an ok daily distance... I will be having words lol

·
Registered
219 Posts
Are you planning the rides yourself? in which case plan 2 or 3 rides for each day 180-200 miles, 240-260 miles and 300 miles. After the long first day see how you all feel. The others may be happy with 300 or may agree that less is more with time for stops for photos and brew etc. (I've just had a week riding in Northern Spain with 6 others, I planned several variations of day rides with short cuts if we were getting tired etc, worked OK)
There has to be an element of give and take with all involved obviously.

·
Registered
73 Posts
It's not the Alps up here where a 100 miles day could take 8 hours, it's also not the temps there are in the Alps in Summer so a 250+ mile day is easily achievable but not entirely sure it'll be overly enjoyable. I did a 250 mile day on Thursday Dundee - Pitlochry - Blair Athol - Dalwhinie - Laggan - Fort Bill - Glencoe - Tyndrum - Lochearnhead - Perth - Dundee and it's a good days ride, no sure I'd want to do it 3 days on the trot though.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hv to say of all the places I hv travelled Scotland is my favorite.u can get four seasons in one day.scenery to die for.people are the friendliest and helpful u cld ever meet.Been there a few times on my Harley up to Avimore for the annual Thunder in the Glens.Id love to bring my twin next time,it’s made for Scotland.U hv to chill a bit stop and take time to enjoy the people and views.It not always about getting from A to B.unless yr on a boring motorway.?

·
Registered
89 Posts
:grin2::grin2: were not going till next month so im hopeing i will be able to lift my visor :grin2:
It'll be worse by June - the wee beasties breed faster than rabbits. If you do lift your visor on a calm sunny afternoon, then keep moving....3mph should out run 'em! But, no worries - the wind and rain will keep 'em down most of the time. Seriously though, you'll love a tour of the most beautiful country in the world. I agree with others - keep the miles down and take time to enjoy the views. And avoid August - if the midges don't get under your skin, the campervans and mini coach 'heritage' tourists certainly will!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My sister lives on Skye visited in August those lil black gits are horrible bars****s....
Thanks for all the tips bbq this Sat with the gang so the maps will be out and i will be showing this post around to try and lower the daily ride ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts