Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first bike with any suspension adjustability so bear with my dumb question. So the outer nut is the preload and the small cylinder in the center with the slot in it is the rebound, correct? Reason I ask is because I have the Titax fork adjusters and when I turn the outer nut, the inner cylinder turns with it, is that supposed to happen? I would have thought they should turn independently if they are for separate adjustments.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
The outer preload adjustment has a thin threaded plate on the inside of cap, when turned clockwise it travels down the threads pushing down on top of spring seat stopper, which compresses the spring. The rebound adjuster is controlling a rod with a needle on the end of it. So unless you hold one relative to the other, then the rebound adjustment is not screwing in/out. You should have 3-1/2 turns or so on the rebound adjustment. That adjustment range should not change as you increase preload. If you ever disassemble forks that's one of the gotchas for getting the locknut on the rebound damper rod set correctly. You back the adjusters all the way off to work on forks but when it comes time to set the locknut, you screw the rebound adjuster in approximately 3-1/2 turns, then adjust the locknut up to the fork cap and jam it. Screw cap back into forks and verify that you have approximately 3-1/2 turns of adjustment. If you screw the locknut all the way down and then screw the fork cap all the way down, you'll have < 1-1/2 turns of adjustment. You want both sides the same.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I understand what you mean. The rebound mechanism is a child of the preload mechanism so even though it turns when adjusting the preload, it's setting wont change until you adjust it directly.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The outer preload adjustment has a thin threaded plate on the inside of cap, when turned clockwise it travels down the threads pushing down on top of spring seat stopper, which compresses the spring. The rebound adjuster is controlling a rod with a needle on the end of it. So unless you hold one relative to the other, then the rebound adjustment is not screwing in/out. You should have 3-1/2 turns or so on the rebound adjustment. That adjustment range should not change as you increase preload. If you ever disassemble forks that's one of the gotchas for getting the locknut on the rebound damper rod set correctly. You back the adjusters all the way off to work on forks but when it comes time to set the locknut, you screw the rebound adjuster in approximately 3-1/2 turns, then adjust the locknut up to the fork cap and jam it. Screw cap back into forks and verify that you have approximately 3-1/2 turns of adjustment. If you screw the locknut all the way down and then screw the fork cap all the way down, you'll have < 1-1/2 turns of adjustment. You want both sides the same.
how come the manual doesn't say to do this? and now my forks are assembled without this procedure but i counted the preload and rebound damping and set them to the same amount of turns. Should I disassemble and reassemble them using this method? also 2018 atas

1 - 4 of 4 Posts