Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While you're stuck in mud for instance, Is it possible to do back and forth use momentum with DCT model ?

With manual you do it with clutch ,wondering how to do without it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
In short - yes, it's possible and just as easy to do (and equally likely to get you stuck in the muck even further:D) Remember, at a standstill with the engine running and with a Drive mode engaged such as D or S1-3, the clutch for 1st gear is engaged. Rolling on the throttle the clutch is slipping progressively until you are moving forward (or the rear wheel is spinning) fast enough for the gear to engage fully.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
In short - yes, it's possible and just as easy to do (and equally likely to get you stuck in the muck even further:D) Remember, at a standstill with the engine running and with a Drive mode engaged such as D or S1-3, the clutch for 1st gear is engaged. Rolling on the throttle the clutch is slipping progressively until you are moving forward (or the rear wheel is spinning) fast enough for the gear to engage fully.
Yes - of course this is right. I was at first thinking that it would have to be done by switching between drive and neutral - which wouldn't have worked because there's too much delay (much improved on the latest DCT boxes though).
Mike

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Went through some mud yesterday and this worked well. The D mode doesn't have any real creep like an auto car does.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great! i thought it is like with auto cars you must be on brake while you at stop otherwise it start rolling.

so basically if you're in whichever D mode and stop you can back it up by pushing with legs to parking spot for example without needed to get it to neutral before that. do i understand it right? thanks a lot guys!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Great! i thought it is like with auto cars you must be on brake while you at stop otherwise it start rolling.

so basically if you're in whichever D mode and stop you can back it up by pushing with legs to parking spot for example without needed to get it to neutral before that. do i understand it right? thanks a lot guys!
Precisely, the DCT doesn't have a propensity to pull forward with the D-rive or S1-3 engaged, and will easily roll backward in a controlled (or in-controlled for that matter) way.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Precisely, the DCT doesn't have a propensity to pull forward with the D-rive or S1-3 engaged, and will easily roll backward in a controlled (or in-controlled for that matter) way.
Yes - I did exactly that at a filling station yesterday when I realised that the pump I'd stopped at was on quite an upward slope. So I just rolled it back 20 yards to a level pump, while it was still in gear.
Mike

·
Registered
42 Posts
A DCT gearbox is an automated manual not an auto in the old style sense of the word,
A normal auto box has a stator and a torque converter which is why they creep when in drive.
The DCT clutch isn't engaged until you use the throttle..

·
Registered
392 Posts

It's much easier if you put it into 'N' since you don't want to push against the drivetrain, remember, no clutch but 1st gear is still engaged.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts