Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm currently in the market for a africa twin. My local dealership has a 2019 adventure sport for right around 11k with %0.9 interest. It looks like a 2020 would be closer to 15k. I know the 2019 is a good bit cheaper and there are a good bit of differences between the years. I'd be using the bike for a mixture of things but would like to do some decent length road trips. I know the 2020s have the apple car play and cruise control. Two huge things I'm a fan of. The electronic suspension modes and such arent as big of a deal. Would any of yall hesitate to pull the trigger on the 2019? Or is it worth the extra for the 2020?

·
Administrator
1,785 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm currently in the market for a africa twin. My local dealership has a 2019 adventure sport for right around 11k with %0.9 interest. It looks like a 2020 would be closer to 15k. I know the 2019 is a good bit cheaper and there are a good bit of differences between the years. I'd be using the bike for a mixture of things but would like to do some decent length road trips. I know the 2020s have the apple car play and cruise control. Two huge things I'm a fan of. The electronic suspension modes and such arent as big of a deal. Would any of yall hesitate to pull the trigger on the 2019? Or is it worth the extra for the 2020?
That's a tough question to answer. You have already stated that the electronic suspension doesn't mean much to you. So it really then comes down to how much you value the remaining differences between the two such as Apple Play, Cruise, TFT display, etc.

Depending on the price difference between the two and how much value you place on the differences your answer will lay in there.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,948 Posts
And that whopping 7 extra horsepower going from a 1000 to a 1100... And too if you are taking a AS then a 20 is a bit shorter than the 19 AS...

·
Registered
248 Posts
You can add McCruise to the 19 for ~600 if you install yourself.

That leaves the TFT display with car play.

Also leaves ~3400 for other accessories.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Anyone know how Honda is doing the tubeless tires on the 2020 spoked rims?

·
Super Moderator
3,079 Posts
The software in the 2020 is essentially worthless. They will have to provide updates to fix bugs until they stop supporting that model year of bike. Then what? The bike is still mechanically good, but the software is no longer maintained? The point is: Do you desire a bike that can do what a m/c is supposed to do? Or do you wish to fiddle with software configurations endlessly with each bug "fix" upgrade and pay dearly upfront for it?

The 2020 tubeless wheels, electronic suspension, cruise control, funky turning lights, larger fuel tank (but with current known contamination risks), extra 7 hp of power might be a few things where to find the real value. Otherwise, if that doesn't shake your bake, then the 2019 model is your gal.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had the same doubt, ended up with a 2019 (normal) with the pannier kit and top case + a central stand and quickshift for less than the base cost of the 2020 (normal) without any accessories.

·
Registered
248 Posts
That's a good point about the software updates. When I bought my 19, the dealer said they'd update the 20 so it'd work with Android's version of car play.

But when they drop support, it'll eventually be in a situation where there won't be phone's that'll connect to it, so it'll be back to being a regular instrument cluster.

Granted that's be a few years down the road, and those that want it now will no doubt have moved on to the latest and greatest. But just like the navigator Goldwings, the navigation part will no longer be an added selling point on a used bike.

08 goldwings no longer have map updates beyond 2018.

Don't get me wrong, had the 2020 been within a grand of my 19, I'd have bought the 20. The 20 already has a lot more Honda accessories available than what Honda offered on the 16-19. But 4k or more difference buys all the accessories I want, plus a sherpax trailer.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Didn't Honda add the 6 axis IMU to the 2020?
If so, cornering ABS/TC could be helpful, especially with all the inattentive drivers out there.

I was struggling with the same decision, until I found a smoking good deal on an '18 ATAS.

Good luck with whichever you choose.

·
Super Moderator
3,079 Posts
Didn't Honda add the 6 axis IMU to the 2020?
If so, cornering ABS/TC could be helpful, especially with all the inattentive drivers out there.

I was struggling with the same decision, until I found a smoking good deal on an '18 ATAS.

Good luck with whichever you choose.
Great recall @sheath. Honda did integrate IMU feedback into the DCT shift management while cornering. For example: My understanding is upshifting in turns is done more intelligently now, and not blindly done. This is particularly needed in Drive Mode.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had this same dilemma a few months ago. I personally went for the 2019 standard model. I wasn’t as interested in the upgrades to the 2020 models as I was in the proven reliability etc of the previous models. I also saved about AU $3000 as the dealer was trying to clear old stock.

·
Registered
59 Posts
As other people have mentioned I think only you can determine is the extra cost of a 2020 is worth it. I will say that $15k for a 2020 Adventure sport would be a pretty good deal since they MSRP for over 16k.

For me the extra cost was not at all worth it when i went thru the same process this spring. I ended up with a 2018 ATAS for $10600 and a 2020 ATAS would have been over 16K, 17 if i chose a DCT. I personally did not see a single new feature that i thought had enough value to justify the difference in cost. Of all of them the only feature i really liked was cruise control but i have gotten by without it for so many years i did not think i would miss it. The rest of the stuff was a bug yawn for me, car play didn't matter, im not afraid or tubes and the electronic suspension was something i knew i could live without. My prior bike was a Multistrada with the Ohilns electronic suspension and once the shininess of it wore off after like week 1 i never fiddled with it again in 9 years....

In the end i wanted a simpler motorcycle with less gadgets to break and or get frustrated with and i got it for sure. I have zero regrets choosing the 2018 over a 2020 and that almost 6k i saved bought a ton of farkles.

·
Administrator
1,785 Posts
...Of all of them the only feature i really liked was cruise control but i have gotten by without it for so many years i did not think i would miss it...
Some people really do like the cruise control. I have only had one bike that has had it. A Triumph Explorer 1200. After the newness and novelty wore off in the first couple of months, I could count on one hand the number of times I used it after that. For the type of riding I do, mostly with my wife or friends, mostly passes, twisties, back roads, it just never made a lot of sense.

If you do a lot of touring/highway I can see the love, but I am never going the same speed long enough to care. Throttle lock so I can stretch the throttle arm once in awhile works fine.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
248 Posts
I ended up getting a 2019 adventure sport for right at 11800. Which seems like a decent deal. Just waiting for it to be delivered to the dealership.

Post up pictures when you get it!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts