Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Just managed to install the Tour version of the Oxfrod Hotgrips. But too much cable spaghetti up the front, but manage to make it work.

Just a question about the cables and and connectors.

Anyone with long extended experience with Oxford?
Are the connectors pretty weather proof?
I've got the connectors under the front tied it down next to the Honda cable loom behind the forks. But the connectors are exposed. I'm not sure how water proof they are if I was (and at times I do) to ride in the rain.

All electric cables looks pretty standard in quality, didn't blow me away in anyway, but then I guess I shouldn't expect to be blown away for under 70eu for the set.

Opinions on the connectors and cables?

Thanks
Rich

·
Registered
131 Posts
I had a mare fitting the throttle one as the superglue set before it was all the way on.....which ****ing idiot thought superglue was a good idea anyway?

I wish i had just used the usual grip glue and wired them on .......

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I struggled getting the throttle side on during test fit, so I figured no glue needed. Instead I tapped it in all the way and it felt very locked in. I have yet to do a test run with them on all the way, as it is summer here. I am hoping they won't expend too much and come loose...

Maybe this is my first and biggest mistake???

·
Registered
885 Posts
I learned my lesson with the superglue provided in the kit on another bike. Never again! Total mess and it makes it near impossible to get on.

Honda sells grip adhesive that works better, allows the grip to go on, and cures more slowly.

I've had them on three bikes and two of them have failed. Latest version I've had for about a year and they work fine and they have been soaked in rain and washing the bike - no issues. Usually the controller fails after a while.

I've had good experiences with the OEM heated grips on other bike but they are VERY expensive. They integrate much better with the bikes but many can't justify the extra cost.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm starting to think that heated gloves are the future...!
I have the Gerbings heated gloves for the winter. They are nice on the road for sure, but having a cable lines within my jacket and going down to the seat to the battery is a bit annoying tbh. I have the battery integrated version, which is nice, but only last about 1.5 hours at best. Annoying but with the battery is they are on the wrist, and it's kinda bulky.
Plus, the palm of my hands still got cold, as they only heat up the outside of the hands.
Which is why I wanted heated grips.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I learned my lesson with the superglue provided in the kit on another bike. Never again! Total mess and it makes it near impossible to get on.

Honda sells grip adhesive that works better, allows the grip to go on, and cures more slowly.

I've had them on three bikes and two of them have failed. Latest version I've had for about a year and they work fine and they have been soaked in rain and washing the bike - no issues. Usually the controller fails after a while.

I've had good experiences with the OEM heated grips on other bike but they are VERY expensive. They integrate much better with the bikes but many can't justify the extra cost.
If two sets failed, why did you still go for a third set? They must have a good selling point for you to keep going back?

·
Registered
885 Posts
I'm a sucker for a bad deal. Haha.
No, actually, they changed the design of the units after the first two that I had. The newer design works quite well, has a better controller, and (knock on wood) has continued to work.Oh, and, factory OEM heated grips are about $300 vs. about $90 CDN - so the math works in my favour - barely. :grin2:

If two sets failed, why did you still go for a third set? They must have a good selling point for you to keep going back?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've had oxford heated grips on my KLR for over a year now with no issues. My bike sits in weather while I'm away at work for 4 to 5 days at a time. Grips work great riding to work at 3am in winter.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've had oxford heated grips on my KLR for over a year now with no issues. My bike sits in weather while I'm away at work for 4 to 5 days at a time. Grips work great riding to work at 3am in winter.
Mind if I ask if you have the grip and control unit white connectors under or cover by the fairing/body work?
My main concern now is water getting into the electrics because my connectors are not well covered.
Thx

·
Registered
59 Posts
Control unit is mounted on right hand side of bar. The connectors are mounted behind fairings.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's my problem. I can't seem to get the connectors within the fairing. Probably should take the tank off, which is what I'm trying to avoid...

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Reply from Oxford:

"

Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately, the connectors are not waterproof and to avoid corrosion and potential future issues, the back of the connectors can be filled with dielectric grease and taped up with plumbers tape.

We have not been made aware of any of our customers experiencing issues with the connectors as the part that needs to be protected is in the centre of the white connector completely encased.

Kind Regards,

Laura Shirley

Customer Services

01993 862 300 (356)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry to ring up an old thread.

I've had my hotgrips installed for some time, have had various issues with the left grip coming loose. The superglue seems to have not set and its causing the grip to turn a bit every now and then.
Is there a quick fix to this?

I have not had to use them often, and the grips tighten and loosening due to the expansion of the grip or handlebar.
Ultimately I don't want to have to reinstall the entire thing cause it'll be a pain in the backside.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I too had the problem with gle setting during install on throttle side. Thought I would be buying a new set by turned the heat on high for about 10 min and then was able to break free by twisting. Reamed it out a little better with a rounded file and reinstalled all ok.
I do not like the connectors. Mine are all gathered up and strapped in the forks on the left side. Hides ok but I am going to do something to make more waterproof just not sure what. Maybe put the bundle in a large heat shrink . Can always cut it open later if I needed into it. For a few extra dollars they should use waterproof connectors.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah mine is having issues on the left side. Can't really file down the handle bars as such as I don't want to damage it. I'm thinking now a very thin plastic strip between the grips and bar and super glue them to lessen the gap.

I did exactly that about waterproofing. Heatshrink tubes with all cables and wrapped them so it's as waterproof as I can get it, for now. Not had any big rain rides so can't be proven 100% yet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The white connectors seem to be a weakness in an otherwise great product. I plan on replacing them with good waterproof connectors and putting them closer to the handlebars. Then below that I'll put some decent 16 gauge 2 wire grey automotive wire back to the fuse block. Better routing, no dangling non-waterproof connectors, and no corrosion.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just to say they have sorted the connector problem on the Oxford Advanced grips. The connectors are now weatherproof. You could always seal them with a section of road bike inner tube and a few zip ties.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yeah mine is having issues on the left side. Can't really file down the handle bars as such as I don't want to damage it. I'm thinking now a very thin plastic strip between the grips and bar and super glue them to lessen the gap.

I did exactly that about waterproofing. Heatshrink tubes with all cables and wrapped them so it's as waterproof as I can get it, for now. Not had any big rain rides so can't be proven 100% yet.
I too had an issue with the left side grip coming loose. I just pulled it off added more superglue without cleaning off the old, and it has remained tight so far. Rode with it on high and at 70% for two days.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts