Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Africa Twin Adventure Sport DCT
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I've put this specifically in the 1100 forum for what I hope are obvious reasons. So.

I read repeatedly that the older ATAS came with handlebar risers. I'm assuming that, if true, this is not so with the 2020 1100? Not that I have any idea of whether I need them yet, of course.

Also, the Honda manual talks about software updates. My experience is that vehicle manufacturers don't update software (Tesla being the aggressive exception, of course). Has anyone ever seen or heard tell of one?

Thanks, just curious.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Hello everyone,

I've put this specifically in the 1100 forum for what I hope are obvious reasons. So.

I read repeatedly that the older ATAS came with handlebar risers. I'm assuming that, if true, this is not so with the 2020 1100? Not that I have any idea of whether I need them yet, of course.

Also, the Honda manual talks about software updates. My experience is that vehicle manufacturers don't update software (Tesla being the aggressive exception, of course). Has anyone ever seen or heard tell of one?

Thanks, just curious.
Tesla does like software updates. However, from what I have heard, Tesla does not like replacing the failed touch screens which happen to control many of the most used functions in the car. Hopefully Honda doesn't go that route.

·
Super Moderator
6,997 Posts
I wished Honda exploited their minimum instrument cluster with the essential metrics (e.g. speed, RPM, fuel, etc.), and provided the simple option of augmenting the cluster by having the rider mount-n-go their favourite smart device to get a rich graphic representation through a Honda app. This would have relieved Honda of supporting the large screen and focus their effort on reliable functionality.

In the meantime, park your AT at an unlucky city location only to return to find your proprietary Honda LCD screen smashed by some punk.

·
Registered
2018 ATAS DCT
52 Posts
I wished Honda exploited their minimum instrument cluster with the essential metrics (e.g. speed, RPM, fuel, etc.), and provided the simple option of augmenting the cluster by having the rider mount-n-go their favourite smart device to get a rich graphic representation through a Honda app. This would have relieved Honda of supporting the large screen and focus their effort on reliable functionality.

In the meantime, park your AT at an unlucky city location only to return to find your proprietary Honda LCD screen smashed by some punk.
I agree with you 100% each bike should have a basic manual cluster with the option to add electronic display

·
Registered
2020 Africa Twin Adventure Sport DCT
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright, here's another one. I had my bike for a few weeks, and got about 400km on it in that time, before taking it in for it's first dose of farkles which finally made it to the dealer. Let's call it owning the bike a month, and riding it maybe 5 times, including the ride home from the dealer.

The last ride before taking it in, I got off the bike and the seat was completely loose. Off. Held on only with my (I'm trying, but hefty) weight. I'm 6' so I had them put the seat in the higher position. I've done it once or twice since, insurance paperwork under the seat and such.

First off, the seat is a royal PITA to get back into the upper position. Getting the tongue at the front in right is annoying. Second, I looked at the seat, and noted that one of the rubber grommets on the bottom of the seat post wasn't there. Clearly not put on during assembly.

According to the dealer, it probably was, and these grommets are as disposable as gum wrappers. Which leads me to my next questions:
  1. Has anyone else lost one of these grommets from the seat post?
  2. Has anyone got any tips on inserting the seat in the upper position? I admit, I have not searched the forum or youtube, so anyone that is a fan of Let Me Google That For You (as I am) can feel free to point out that I'm a non-searched doofus in this particular case.
Thanks!

·
Registered
695 Posts
Alright, here's another one. I had my bike for a few weeks, and got about 400km on it in that time, before taking it in for it's first dose of farkles which finally made it to the dealer. Let's call it owning the bike a month, and riding it maybe 5 times, including the ride home from the dealer.

The last ride before taking it in, I got off the bike and the seat was completely loose. Off. Held on only with my (I'm trying, but hefty) weight. I'm 6' so I had them put the seat in the higher position. I've done it once or twice since, insurance paperwork under the seat and such.

First off, the seat is a royal PITA to get back into the upper position. Getting the tongue at the front in right is annoying. Second, I looked at the seat, and noted that one of the rubber grommets on the bottom of the seat post wasn't there. Clearly not put on during assembly.

According to the dealer, it probably was, and these grommets are as disposable as gum wrappers. Which leads me to my next questions:
  1. Has anyone else lost one of these grommets from the seat post?
  2. Has anyone got any tips on inserting the seat in the upper position? I admit, I have not searched the forum or youtube, so anyone that is a fan of Let Me Google That For You (as I am) can feel free to point out that I'm a non-searched doofus in this particular case.
Thanks!
Have you tried buying it a drink first?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello everyone,

Thanks, just curious.
I purchased a 2020 AT AS ES DCT July 2020 and can confirm it does not come stock with bar risers. I'm 6'4" and ride predominantly in standing position, so once of my first upgrades on all bikes is ROX 2" Pivoting Bar Risers (1 1/8" Handlebar for AT). Also highly recommend Pivot Pegz.

Haven't been notified of any software updates but I am reading that an update to enable Android Auto is in the works, which will be great for us Android users.

·
Registered
2021 ATAS DCT ES
12 Posts
I purchased a 2020 AT AS ES DCT July 2020 and can confirm it does not come stock with bar risers. I'm 6'4" and ride predominantly in standing position, so once of my first upgrades on all bikes is ROX 2" Pivoting Bar Risers (1 1/8" Handlebar for AT). Also highly recommend Pivot Pegz.

Haven't been notified of any software updates but I am reading that an update to enable Android Auto is in the works, which will be great for us Android users.
TFSWIFT1 - How are the risers going as I have just purchased them and am about to install this coming week I hope - I am 6'8" so hoping the 2" rise is enough with my 40mm lowered footpegs and new seat I am getting made! Photos are coming in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
TFSWIFT1 - How are the risers going as I have just purchased them and am about to install this coming week I hope - I am 6'8" so hoping the 2" rise is enough with my 40mm lowered footpegs and new seat I am getting made! Photos are coming in a couple of weeks.
High quality and easy install. Necessity for us taller guys. You won't regret.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts