Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Until the council in North Yorkshire stop salting the roads my 2019 AT has remained in the garage!
After reading the owners manual and the forums I have a few questions, please.

1. My bike came with a Datatool Tracker fitted. I assumed this would be hidden somewhere, but I lifted the seat yesterday and there it is ?! Doesn't seem any point in subscribing to this (£109) when I assume a thief would find it quickly?
2. In view of this, I am considering disconnecting to prevent battery drain-is this straight forward? (I have a battery tender for Li-ion batteries fitted at the moment), but maybe I don't need this if the tracker is disconnected?
3. The owner's manual advises inner tubes to be replaced at every tyre change-Is this necessary, as I have never had tubed tyres before?
4, My AT has the infamous Dunlops fitted which have only done 2200 miles so at the next tyre change I was considering adding "Bikeseal" to prevent punctures, but this is £30 a pop and if the tubes need replacing at every tyre change it becomes expensive - Not sure what tubes cost?
5. I have read through the thread on tyre recommendations, but as I only do on the road riding, I would welcome any new recommendations.
On my previous bikes, I was a big fan of Michelin - PR2, 3, 4, 5. Until I got 2 rear punctures in 12 months!? and saw how thin the actual tyre was and no internal bracing. I read somewhere that Michelin suffers more punctures than other bike tyres because of this.

Thanks in advance for your responses.
JB

·
Registered
190 Posts
I can't speak to Datatool.

As for tires, you do not need to replace tubes every change, but you should. Tube failures are more dramatic that tire failures. Tubes are relatively inexpensive.

I have scorpion trail 2 tires which are a road oriented tire (the name is confusing) and they aren't an improvement over stock. In fact, I am less confident with them over the OEM tires in rain as now I have to worry about grates, manholes, and lane paint whereas I never needed to on the stock setup, which I believe was Battle-axes, but I could be mistaken. Popular consensus was that the scorpions are a top 3 road choice and I just don't see it.

Overall, I am very unhappy with the scorpions especially since they are premium $$$.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
124 Posts
I know nowt about the Tracker...

I'm one of those odd ones who didn't think the Dunlops were too bad and being a Yorkshireman...I kept them until they were worn. Then fitted Continetal TKC70 which were brilliant. I also managed to find a spare set of wheels that had already been fitted with 3m rim tape to enable tubeless fitting. Now run tubeless for 8k miles and onto my 2nd set of TKC 70s.
So...I'd recommend going tubeless and also find the TKCs great.

Other opinions are available

·
Registered
382 Posts
Tracker.. not something I would want and my immediate reaction would be to either take the bike to a dealership... or find a bike electrician. It may be a simple task to remove.. but never underestimate the way some brands 'overthink'.. it could be tied in to the bikes brain and removing it might have unintended consequences.

to my mind a tracker + Lithium battery means you absolutely must use a battery tender. (for lithium)

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hi,
Until the council in North Yorkshire stop salting the roads my 2019 AT has remained in the garage!
After reading the owners manual and the forums I have a few questions, please.

1. My bike came with a Datatool Tracker fitted. I assumed this would be hidden somewhere, but I lifted the seat yesterday and there it is ?! Doesn't seem any point in subscribing to this (£109) when I assume a thief would find it quickly?
2. In view of this, I am considering disconnecting to prevent battery drain-is this straight forward? (I have a battery tender for Li-ion batteries fitted at the moment), but maybe I don't need this if the tracker is disconnected?
3. The owner's manual advises inner tubes to be replaced at every tyre change-Is this necessary, as I have never had tubed tyres before?
4, My AT has the infamous Dunlops fitted which have only done 2200 miles so at the next tyre change I was considering adding "Bikeseal" to prevent punctures, but this is £30 a pop and if the tubes need replacing at every tyre change it becomes expensive - Not sure what tubes cost?
5. I have read through the thread on tyre recommendations, but as I only do on the road riding, I would welcome any new recommendations.
On my previous bikes, I was a big fan of Michelin - PR2, 3, 4, 5. Until I got 2 rear punctures in 12 months!? and saw how thin the actual tyre was and no internal bracing. I read somewhere that Michelin suffers more punctures than other bike tyres because of this.

Thanks in advance for your responses.
JB
Don't know about Datatool Tracker.
The Dunlops are bad in cold conditions they are really bad in cold and wet conditions.
I tried the Pirelli Trail 2 tires and they are good leaned over but I had 3 total loss of traction front and back when upright running on the centre part of the tire, would not recommend those at all. They are not that strong either I destroyed both front and back before they ran out of tread.
Have not run them but have had many good reports on the Bridgestone A41 they are a full street tire, you wont get the Michelin Pilot Road in the AT sizes.
I have never seen a tire seal product able to plug a motorcycle tube before its flat, they do have a reasonable shot at slowing a leak in a tubeless setup but many of those products are very corrosive to wheels.
If you want to save yourself from having to change a tube I would do a tubeless conversion (but that will be more than the cost of the Bikeseal). Its much easier to plug a tubless setup, than replace a tube but you will then need a plug kit and a pump to inflate.
I have run the Outex tubless conversion for over 40,000 km now have changed many tires, have run tires flat for over 5km on the rim, run low pressure 22PSI on sand and gravel for long periods, have straightened rims and adjusted spokes and the Outex product has never leaked air. Cant remember how many plugs I have installed, but it beats the **** out of changing tubes. I would recommend it as an option.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi, I’m also a new 2019 AT owner waiting for the salt to disappear !
Datatool Tracker.... my bike had 300 miles on when I git it ( now 900) I had issues with the Tracker flattening the battery within 48 hours when in the shed. issues were.....

1) I don’t get a phone signal where I live, and the Tracker was constantly searching, hence the flat battery, DAtatool were very good and reprogrammed the tracker So to stop searching....however the Tracker wouldn’t accept the change so....
2) A new Tracker was replaced under warranty, all seems well now.

I do keep it topped up however on an appropriate Optimate, saves disconnecting the battery, I think also if you disconnect the battery, the Tracker would use its own back up battery to continue function?

I did think about pulling the plug on it, reasons why I didn’t are,
1) Datatool (Scorpion) are a decent company and are great to deal with, plus I don’t think Honda ( and other brands) would be using them if they were iffy.
2) it’s not a cheap product, so pulling the plug on it seems to a waste of money ( even tho you only pay a subscription / annum)
3) bike is under warranty, so it goes back in to dealer if there are further issues.
4) having it fitted keeps the insurance company happy and saves me a few quid a year.

The tyres, mine has Bridgestones on and they seem ok, will see how they wear, may return to my old faves...Metzeler Tourances in the future

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SkipD,

Thanks for the info - "You don't know what you don't know!"

The Outex solution seems the way to go. I'd never heard of it before! Just about to watch the videos on youtube!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Northumbrian,
I didn't order the tracker and in fact, didn't know it was on the bike until I collected it, but as I go to Scotland a lot the last thing I need is it flattening the battery when I'm off-grid and it's trying to stay connected
This is why mobile phones always go flat more quickly when touring in Scotland

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Northumbrian,
I didn't order the tracker and in fact, didn't know it was on the bike until I collected it, but as I go to Scotland a lot the last thing I need is it flattening the battery when I'm off-grid and it's trying to stay connected
This is why mobile phones always go flat more quickly when touring in Scotland
That was my worry.... going into the unknown and getting a flat battery (and Lithium batteries can’t be jumped) however my new Tracker has been tweaked and now doesn’t go flat where there is no signal.
Suggest you give Datatool a call and they should be able to put you right.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Having had my bike (Fireblade) stolen a few years back and all the torture that goes along with it...
...Give me a Tracker any day, I just hope I never need to find out if the service really works!
IMO

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I feel your pain zippysworld!

I just wonder if a professional thief would quickly disconnect mine because of it being so obvious when fitted just under the seat?

·
Registered
792 Posts
I feel your pain zippysworld!

I just wonder if a professional thief would quickly disconnect mine because of it being so obvious when fitted just under the seat?
A pro would park it in a faraday cage and part out the bike in his/her leisure..

·
Registered
202 Posts
If its visible under the seat that doesn't sound good tbh!
I agree with all comments here on the cage and the time frames...I just hope that the early text warning comes to me in quick time and ill go and see if they need any help with anything...like picking up their limbs etc :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a SPOT Trace satellite tracker on my bikes and trailer. It is self contained and the batteries last a good 6-8 mos. You can get a power cable to connect to a 12v source if you want. The device is small and easily hidden. It will give you email and text message notices if your vehicle moves and it checks in with a message every day of its status and will let you know when the battery is low. I have several of these devices and have a single plan for them.

See SPOT: https://www.findmespot.com/en-us/products-services/spot-trace

Dan

1 - 17 of 17 Posts