Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read pretty much everything I can find on this and other websites about crash bars (and everything else). I have narrowed my decision to two options: the outback motortek bars and the still in development altrider bars. Are those of you who have purchased the outback motortek bars still happy with your choice? Do the altrider bars look promising enough to justify the wait? Earlier this week the website said they would be shipping February 20, but now it is saying still in development again. I know this topic has been discussed ad nauseum over the past year, but I'm hoping that I can gain some insight from more experienced owners.

In case it matters: I am not an advanced off road rider, so I will not be tackling anything too ambitious, and most of my biker friends ride street bikes so I will be riding probably 75% on the street.

Thank you in advance

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I looked at them, but I'm a little concerned that they are close enough to the fairing to damage it in a crash. I did look at the rockfox design which is very similar but with what looks like an additional mounting point (and additional cost).

Without being a structural engineer I can merely guess how all these bars will do in a drop or crash. I suppose we all are gambling on one choice or another.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I've read pretty much everything I can find on this and other websites about crash bars (and everything else). I have narrowed my decision to two options: the outback motortek bars and the still in development altrider bars. Are those of you who have purchased the outback motortek bars still happy with your choice? Do the altrider bars look promising enough to justify the wait? Earlier this week the website said they would be shipping February 20, but now it is saying still in development again. I know this topic has been discussed ad nauseum over the past year, but I'm hoping that I can gain some insight from more experienced owners.

In case it matters: I am not an advanced off road rider, so I will not be tackling anything too ambitious, and most of my biker friends ride street bikes so I will be riding probably 75% on the street.

Thank you in advance
Hi crstep, I have fitted Hepco & Becker, and yep crashed at 60k/h on gravel road, bars took most of the impact but as you said they are to close and the flex in the bars cracked the fairing, also with H&B I have to remove the bars each time i inspect or change the air filters, i will be buying something else, so looking forward to outer feedback you get.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got an update from altrider: the lower bars should be ready by the end of february, and the complete system should ship at the beginning of April.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Anyone on this forum that has off,s with their crash bars cld give them marks out of 10.that wld eventually bring the top 3 to the top.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hi crstep, I have fitted Hepco & Becker, and yep crashed at 60k/h on gravel road, bars took most of the impact but as you said they are to close and the flex in the bars cracked the fairing, also with H&B I have to remove the bars each time i inspect or change the air filters, i will be buying something else, so looking forward to outer feedback you get.
Just a couple of pics of the damage from the Bars flexing to much, note the small dint in the Fuel Tank as well :(
Mind you, without bars the whole l/h side would be toast.
So in a small way the did some protecting,,,,
So for that and the inconvenience of having to remove them whenever having to do air filter maintenance, I give them 5/10
Maybe next design Mr H&B will do a little better research.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
I bought the Outback Motortek bars and I'm very happy with how they mount and how well built they are. They also match up with their skit plate for a great combination.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I use the SW-Motech, and after considering the Touratech I opted for the SW for looks, as the Touratech spoils the front of the bike. All subjective, of course. That being said, there isn't much difference between actual bar area coverage between the two. The Touratech is higher, but the end of the day, I think the hand guards are going to take the most of brunt if it falls.

On my modified Kawasaki Versys, I used Power Moto protection which were better than SW. I hope they make dome for the Africa Twin soon.

If my Africa Twin is half as reliable as my Versys was, baring in mind what I put it through, I'll be well happy!

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
I like the look of the heed crash bars looks like they give a good all over protection and u can get bags for the top section for a protection

·
Registered
13 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I decided to go with outback motortek. They are coming out with some new lower bars to go with the existing ones, which look interesting. I decided that I would rather go with a mid-height option to prevent bars slamming into the faring like those hepco ones did, and to cut down on weight (those measly four pounds or whatever). Hopefully they hold the bike up enough to prevent damage in a drop. Thanks for your input, guys!

·
Registered
134 Posts
I went for the Rockfox lower and upper bars. After 2 silly fall overs, left and right, I am 100% sure about my decision.

Reactions: crstep

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have on order SW Motech which don't go all the way up like the H&B. Got them on a recommendation but thinking they might not give the best cover and alt rider not available yet.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I went for the Rockfox lower and upper bars. After 2 silly fall overs, left and right, I am 100% sure about my decision.
The Rockfox definitely look like good bars. I'm glad they are working well for you, and that you can provide us with drop testing :p

1 - 20 of 41 Posts