Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Quick heads up guys:
If you do creek and river crossings, check the screws that hold your battery/tool box retainer bracket in place. Mine were seized, and the screw heads are so soft that the allen key rounds them out real easy. There is not enough room to get a centre punch in there to smack 'em round, so I had to grind a pin punch down to a point and smash them round with a heavy hammer. That bent the mounting lug attached to the frame, which I then had to straighten after I finally got the little buggers out.
So save yourselves a lot of aggravation and swap them out with some 316 stainless socket heads and lube them up with anti-seize if you are going through water.

Cheers

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
3,124 Posts
Quick heads up guys:
If you do creek and river crossings, check the screws that hold your battery/tool box retainer bracket in place. Mine were seized, and the screw heads are so soft that the allen key rounds them out real easy. There is not enough room to get a centre punch in there to smack 'em round, so I had to grind a pin punch down to a point and smash them round with a heavy hammer. That bent the mounting lug attached to the frame, which I then had to straighten after I finally got the little buggers out.
So save yourselves a lot of aggravation and swap them out with some 316 stainless socket heads and lube them up with anti-seize if you are going through water.

Cheers
Thanks for the heads up.

Mine almost stripped mine, the factory had them that tight, I just snugged them back when I put them back in. But I did torque the recess and need to replace them.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Happened to me too. I stripped one which required drilling off the head of screw at which point I was able to turn the remaining stud still inside frame by hand ( maybe the heat of drilling released ). The other one was tough but came with small 12V impact. I've had these fasteners off previously and when I put them back I used lanolin ( Fluid-Film ) to cover. I thought the use of this fluid might be the reason they were so tight, but now I have no idea. I replaced drilled one with stainless fastener. Time will tell I guess.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts