Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you used quick-release fasteners for the pillion seat? What hardware did you use?

Quick/easy access would give it a lot more utility as a storage area, especially for tools, and similar.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wing screws seems like a good idea. I went with screws with a 5mm socket head so I could use the tool fastened to the bottom of the seat intended for tool box access.

I was disappointed by how little fits under the pillion seat. What have you managed to store there?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Wing screws seems like a good idea. I went with screws with a 5mm socket head so I could use the tool fastened to the bottom of the seat intended for tool box access.

I was disappointed by how little fits under the pillion seat. What have you managed to store there?
I have just ordered some wing nuts, but also would like to know what you can fit under the pillion seat! There's hardly any room some pics of what people store in there would be good

Thanks

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have just ordered some wing nuts, but also would like to know what you can fit under the pillion seat! There's hardly any room some pics of what people store in there would be good
I've seen a pic from member Moto Pumps of a packed Motopumps Airshot compressor stored there. FWIW I really like that compressor. A bicycle pump is just as good. Until you actually have to use it. :smile2:

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I've seen a pic from member Moto Pumps of a packed Motopumps Airshot compressor stored there. FWIW I really like that compressor. A bicycle pump is just as good. Until you actually have to use it. :smile2:
If you can get one of those in there, then it's big enough for me. I have overtrousers that pack really small but also quite a few things like this - completely waterproof and tough and compress down to about the size of a matchbox. If I can get some small rokstraps in there too it makes it possible to carry just about anything you decide to buy while you are out on the bike.
Also - presumably the standard Honda U-lock fits there but probably not much else?
Mike

·
Registered
103 Posts
I just fitted posts to the M6x1.0 threaded nuts that hold the pillion seat in place because I wanted to move that limited tool kit and my vehicle registration under there.

Off to the local hardware store to find M6x1.0 25mm long set screws with 3mm hex head

The only thing you need to be very careful with when reinstalling the seat is that the collar spacers don't come off and fall into parts unknown.

Two options here.
a) flip the collar to the inside (I opted to do this after taking the pics)
b) glue the collar in place

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
That's interesting - are you just using those threaded posts as locators or planning to use wing nuts? Probably no need as the rider seat would keep it pressed back.
Mike

·
Registered
103 Posts
That's interesting - are you just using those threaded posts as locators or planning to use wing nuts? Probably no need as the rider seat would keep it pressed back.
Mike
No plan on adding wing nuts. Just the posts to hold the seat in place. Easy access, nothing to fuss with when trying to get at what's under the rear seat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just fitted posts to the M6x1.0 threaded nuts that hold the pillion seat in place because I wanted to move that limited tool kit and my vehicle registration under there.

Off to the local hardware store to find M6x1.0 25mm long set screws with 3mm hex head

The only thing you need to be very careful with when reinstalling the seat is that the collar spacers don't come off and fall into parts unknown.

Two options here.
a) flip the collar to the inside (I opted to do this after taking the pics)
b) glue the collar in place
Just tried this, but I'm using my front seat in the low position, and with a little force, i can slide the pillion seat front and take it out while the front seat is locked, tried it with a 30 & 35mm threaded screw, same problem, but it works great if the front is in the regular position.

·
Registered
79 Posts
So of course, I lost one of those collars. Not disassembling the bike to go look for it. Just put the bolt back in and it seems to hold just fine. But anyone have any idea where you can pick up a replacement collar?

·
Registered
239 Posts
It is the perfect location for the cruise control unit sold by McCruise.com with a little space left over for small bits.

·
Registered
79 Posts
It is the perfect location for the cruise control unit sold by McCruise.com with a little space left over for small bits.
Do you have that McCruise installed on a 2018 model? A benefit of throttle by wire! Wish Honda would have added that at least as an option.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts