Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, new member from the uk, had the 2017 A/T for two weeks. I know there is an option for a Q/S on the 18 models but no official listing for the 16/17 models. I have an HM plus removed from my last bike and got a new loom from HM after a lot of discussion. They initially sent a loom to fit to the injectors but the electrical fittings were incorrect as they had sent out a loom for the 18. So a new loom was sent to connect to the common wire on each of the four coils. Info was all a bit sketchy as they don’t list the A/T. Fired up and ran fine then test rode all good until high revs which brought on engine management light and limp mode. Stopped and restarted and it runs ok with e/m light on, changes gear with Q/S or clutch but as soon as you rev hard and change its like full traction control kicking in. Disconnect battery e/m goes off and go for another test and the same thing happens. I’m guessing the ecu is detecting a fault as the ignition is cut so I can’t see a way round this. Sorry if this has been covered before but any advice or help please. HM have told me padgetts fitted the same set up to a 16 bike but all abut vague. Healtech list for the bike and this also uses the coils so I’m at a loss. Obviously the next stage will be to take it to a main dealer to find out what fault code has registered. Perhaps the ecu just won’t allow me to fit a Q/S?????

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
That’s worrying, not a single response, am I the only bloke that decided to try and install a quick shifter? I’ve come from a Yamaha forum and enjoyed lots of banter and shared knowledge. Have I posted this in the wrong section?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm just making a presumptuous guess here, but you maybe the only owner with a QS fitted. With having a DCT variant which allows for adjusting the shift point at 3 levels within the rev range ( SI,II,III ) or really short shifting if in D mode and then also the ability to change at any point up or down with + - toggle buttons, it kind of negates the need for a QS. You can even purchase an add on standard foot shifting gear lever if you prefer, for the DCT. I do understand your issues as I have an HM plus SS fitted to my GSXS, but unfortunately can't shed any light or advice on your AT QS issues. If you have or can get hold of the service manual you can read and diagnose the MIL codes yourself. Hope this is of some help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mine is the manual as I didn’t really like the dct. I know you can paddle shift etc but just preferred the manual. I’m not desperate to fit the q/s but just thought as I had it in the garage for the cost of a new loom it was worth a go. I will take it off and sell it on and enjoy the A/T as it is. I like the fact that it’s relativley slim and has character. Time to enjoy. Thanks for your input. As you say I feel quite proud to be the only bloke in the world! ?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts