Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I'm going to buy a S W Motech rack for my 2018 Adventure Sports. Can anyone who has this on their ATAS reassure me that is strong enough. I only ask as the givi kit looks like it has added supports to help with the weight. I intend to fit a large box..
Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I forgot to say it's not the S W Motech hardware I'm worried about it's the honda stainless rack bending with more overhang and weight .Has anyone had a large box just bolted on to the OE rack.
Steve

·
Registered
676 Posts
The maximum weight on the 18-19 ATAS rear carrier is 10 kg / 22 lbs.

The SW-Motech rack weighs 2 kg / 4.5 lbs with max load of 7.5 kg / 16.5 lbs and max speed 80 mph so plan accordingly with top case size / weight and contents.

Some companies like Bumot don’t recommend larger top box for ATAS (30L only not 43L) due to the limited weight capacity and potential instability. Kind of what stopped me from going with a large top box. You will most likely need to make suspension adjustments with the addition of the top case.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Slightly off topic, does anyone know of a small/medium tail bag that attaches cleanly to the OEM rack, or is an aftermarket rack preferable? As I have no luggage at the moment, I would like to put a few things in a small bag so I wouldn't have to wear a back pack.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I forgot to say it's not the S W Motech hardware I'm worried about it's the honda stainless rack bending with more overhang and weight .Has anyone had a large box just bolted on to the OE rack.
Steve
I mounted a Givi Maxia 52L on my 2019. I used the Givi mounting plate secured to the OEM parcel rack with the mounting screws and brackets the plate arrived with. The stainless rack has been fine and has retained its original shape. I believe the 22-pound limit is more about unwanted changes in the way the bike handles than what the rack can actually support before failing. In general, I only keep light items in the top box and store my helmet in it while away from the bike. I probably exceed the 22-pound limit from time to time when picking up groceries. Between the house and the grocers has a maximum speed limit of 60 km/h and total distance is less than 10 km, probably closer to 6.

Tire Wheel Water Fuel tank Vehicle

·
Registered
676 Posts
Good info, I wouldn't be as concerned for shorter distances like you describe. I don't ever ride with passenger so use a larger dry duffel across the back seat and rack with the Honda cases. How far off the back of the bike does the Givi box sit, any side view shots?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Slightly off topic, does anyone know of a small/medium tail bag that attaches cleanly to the OEM rack, or is an aftermarket rack preferable? As I have no luggage at the moment, I would like to put a few things in a small bag so I wouldn't have to wear a back pack.
Nelson riggs makes a nice expandable tail bag. I put one on my 22 model. Fits right on the oem rack.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts