Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Registered
2021 CRF1100 manual
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really dont want to lose my AS grab bars, but I also dont want a pannier rack system. I really like the Kriega OS system. So after alot of research, I ordered the OS base for a Yamaha Tenere 700, and 2x OS-12 bags. They should be coming this week, and I will report back on if it fits. The next option I have would be to order the KTM 1190 OS base, and hope that the rear seat is similarly wide as the AT.

I want to put the base under the grab bars, and over the rear seat. 馃
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Luggage and bags Bag Gas

Research:

Hand Gesture Font Line Output device

Registered
I really dont want to lose my AS grab bars, but I also dont want a pannier rack system. I really like the Kriega OS system. So after alot of research, I ordered the OS base for a Yamaha Tenere 700, and 2x OS-12 bags. They should be coming this week, and I will report back on if it fits. The next option I have would be to order the KTM 1190 OS base, and hope that the rear seat is similarly wide as the AT.

I want to put the base under the grab bars, and over the rear seat. 馃 View attachment 72634

Research:

View attachment 72635
I have exactly the same problem with my 2022 standard AT. After looking at the Kriega website, it seems to me that their non specific OS base is narrow enough in the middle to fit under the grab rack. Surely it must be posible to attach the back straps to the oem luggage rack without drilling holes? Anyone has experience with that?
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Registered
2021 CRF1100 manual
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have exactly the same problem with my 2022 standard AT. After looking at the Kriega website, it seems to me that their non specific OS base is narrow enough in the middle to fit under the grab rack. Surely it must be posible to attach the back straps to the oem luggage rack without drilling holes? Anyone has experience with that?
View attachment 72705
Tenere OS Base didnt work. The lower straps were a fixed length, just for the T7.

The universal base like you have pictured has adjustable upper and lower straps. My package is coming tomorrow, and I will get some pictures up. Fingers crossed!!

Registered
2021 CRF1100 manual
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
At first try, they look like they may work. But a few more minutes fiddling around, and maybe not. Im not giving up yet though!

I dont want to take my rear grab bar off, but i might

Gas Composite material Automotive tire Rolling Auto part

Registered
2021 CRF1100 manual
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mmm... I wonder how the bags will fit over the grab bars...
Im going to see a friend who can weld aluminum tomorrow. Maybe he can suggest something for me to keep the grab bars.

I will also take some more pictures of how it looks when the OS Base goes over the bars. I havent set the 2 loops for the rear yet either.

Registered
Im going to see a friend who can weld aluminum tomorrow. Maybe he can suggest something for me to keep the grab bars.

I will also take some more pictures of how it looks when the OS Base goes over the bars. I haven't set the 2 loops for the rear yet either.
Where would the two loops at the rear fix to ideally?

Also, how easy is it to remove the rear rack if needed? I agree, removal not ideal as very useful, but if its relatively painless and something that can occasionally be done and refitted safely, perhaps an option.

Registered
2021 CRF1100 manual
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Also, how easy is it to remove the rear rack if needed? I agree, removal not ideal as very useful, but if its relatively painless and something that can occasionally be done and refitted safely, perhaps an option.
in the video that I found, the guy put the two loops below the tail light, on the black plastic part of the license plate assembly. To take off the grab bar, its not too difficult. Id guess maybe 30 minutes of work.

What I want to do, is put the loops at the 2 forward mounting points of the rack that I made. Its also an attachment point for that rack, to the grab bars. I do NOT want to drill any holes in painted plastics

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Plant Road surface

Registered

My initial thought, since I dont have a luggage rack, was to attach the rear straps directly to the grab rack. I'm going to wait and see how @fatfurious2 manages once the bags are on.
If I have to remove the grab rack anyway, I might go for the new Touratech Discovery instead.

Registered
2021 CRF1100 manual
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here are some more pictures. I was wrong in initially thinking i could use the front bolts. I think i may need to use the rear ones.

The rest of it looks ok.

Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motorcycle

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Motorcycle

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

Luggage and bags Webbing Musical instrument accessory Bumper Bag

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Tread Automotive design

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Registered
2021 CRF1100 manual
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think we found a solution! The second set of eyes definitely helped!

going to put one of the straps OVER the grab bar. That way it will help secure it. I will also monitor to see if the exhaust touches the base, and adjust accordingly. And I still need to attach the small loops to the rear bolts on the grab bar. I think anyone will be able to do this, if you have a Standard with the grab bars. Without the OEM grab bars, Kriega has an AT kit for the base already.

I will fit everything together this weekend. I don't even have enough gear to fill these 12L bags, but this is a great start!

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design

Registered
2021 CRF1100 manual
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got it all figured out! 98% happy with it!

Everything fits great, except the right side slightly touches the exhaust. I am going to make a small spacer arm/bracket to push it out and attach to the rear grab bar bolt.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Automotive fuel system

Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive tire

Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Tread Automotive design

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Automotive design Luggage and bags

For longer trips I am going to strap a larger dry bag duffel to the rear seat for additional storage.

Registered
Those are really nice bags you are installing!
I wanted to share my enduro bag setup, I ended up moving the bag close to where the pillion leg would rest, also the bridge of the bag is under the pillion seat. This position helped clear any hot exhaust concerns and stabilized any sway-ward motion into the wheel well.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive tire

Registered
2021 CRF1100 manual
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Those are really nice bags you are installing!
I wanted to share my enduro bag setup, I ended up moving the bag close to where the pillion leg would rest, also the bridge of the bag is under the pillion seat. This position helped clear any hot exhaust concerns and stabilized any sway-ward motion into the wheel well.
View attachment 73216
I havent tried putting the bridge under the seat. Thats a great idea! I will try it soon.

I have also been toying with the idea of selling these and getting Mosko Reckless 40L rackless setup. They are normally out of my price range though. I believe there is a sale that makes them a little more affordable

Registered

I want to put the base under the grab bars, and over the rear seat. 馃 View attachment 72634

Research:

View attachment 72635
Hey buddy what rear rack is that? Do you recommend it?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts