Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used a radar detector for years in my car when I had a long commute and drove too fast. I avoided a lot of tickets and got a lot of tickets. I haven't seen any posts over the years about detectors on bikes. Any experience out there?

·
Registered
408 Posts
I used to have one on my Sport Tourer but now with the newer vehicles using ultrasonic sensors for lane keeping and adaptive cruise control, these devices really cause the radar detectors to false alert, to the point of making it almost useless. My unit would also alert for traffic light sensors and even automatic opening doors in buildings when I drove through parking lots. I don't use it anymore. It was a very expensive Valentine One detector with all the updates as well.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I used to have one on my Sport Tourer but now with the newer vehicles using ultrasonic sensors for lane keeping and adaptive cruise control, these devices really cause the radar detectors to false alert, to the point of making it almost useless. My unit would also alert for traffic light sensors and even automatic opening doors in buildings when I drove through parking lots. I don't use it anymore. It was a very expensive Valentine One detector with all the updates as well.
A good RD with K-band filtering should take care of all that.

·
Registered
408 Posts
A good RD with K-band filtering should take care of all that.
The Valentine does have K band filtering and it is one of the best detectors out there. Maybe if I updated it to the latest model it would work. It has been a few years since I used it. The Valentine1 detectors are never obsolete as the company will replace or update it no matter how long you have owned it.

·
Registered
2020 CRF1100L/DCT
46 Posts
I have had a Bell for years and I have not noticed any more or less false alarms with the advent of autonomous vehicles.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I don't know what systems highway patrol utilise in your neck of the woods, but here its predominantly laser.
Possibly a reason why the older units no longer get much of a run ?
Here, most of our risk is camera mounted speed detection, of which apps such as 'Waze' generally prompt you prior to reaching them.
I really wouldn't have much of a use for a detector these days.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Haven't come across too many lasers around these parts
LIDAR is what their known as.
'Light Detection And Ranging'

Exceptionally accurate at long ranges unfortunately.
Uses a very narrow band of the light spectrum making jamming very difficult.
Generally a traditional hand-held 'gun' style with an optical sight that's used for aiming.

Can pick a single vehicle out of a pack at up to 3km away. Your done minutes before you even know.

·
Registered
681 Posts
LIDAR is what their known as.
'Light Detection And Ranging'

Exceptionally accurate at long ranges unfortunately.
Uses a very narrow band of the light spectrum making jamming very difficult.
Generally a traditional hand-held 'gun' style with an optical sight that's used for aiming.

Can pick a single vehicle out of a pack at up to 3km away. Your done minutes before you even know.
It may be able to detect a vehicle at that range but accuracy might be questionable as far as specific vehicle. It is a very narrow beam with little spread but a lot depends on how accurate the sights are and even more on how steady the user can hold the device when targeting a vehicle at long range. A light shake or movement could result in the narrow beam missing a bike and picking the vehicle behind or beside the intended target. Look at the results of trying to take a picture with a 35mm camera in low light with a long exposure setting without the use of a tripod.

·
Registered
110 Posts
They get around the inaccuracies surrounding a purely optical scope by incorporating 'optical tracking', essentially the optics are converted to digital and displayed in the eyepiece.

Once the target vehicle is decided upon by the user, acquisition of the vehicle is achieved by holding the vehicle in the cross-hairs for a preset period, the system will 'lock' onto the vehicle. The optics side are still quite high-end with the ability to not only pick out a vehicle in a pack, but to also pick out the forward registration plate as the preferred 'reflective' surface.
A repeatable, calibratable method which takes the ambiguity out of the equation.

A steady hand is still required, but less so with the ability to be able to track. Quite often you will see cop using the roof of the patrol car as a support.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I run an RD on my FJR, but don’t bother on my AT or Bonneville. The FJR is smooth as silk at speeds they take your license away at. The AT is not exactly a road burner.

On the highway, the RD is all but useless. You might pick up a State Police car running Ka parked along the roadside, but if they are running a revenue enhancement speed trap, they will shoot you with laser. When the laser alert goes off that’s just advanced notice to pull over and get your wallet out. I run my RD inside a little cordura bag perched on top of my tank bag. It won’t pick up laser inside the bag, but I’m fine with that. What it does is hide the fact I’ve got a radar detector, as the constables don’t really like seeing those.

Mostly on the interstate I just keep up with the flow of traffic and hope they won’t pick my bike out of the school of other fishes. Traffic on the highway runs 10-15 mph above posted, so that’s fast enough to make good time.

Where the RD really helps is riding back roads. Town cops aren’t generally all that savvy, and will drive around with their radar blasting all the time. Then when they come upon a suspected speeder, just look down to see how fast they are going. Either that or they’ll set at the side of the road with it blasting constantly. I guess they have no problem getting enough donations since everyone speeds, and most don’t have a RD.

Just slowing down is an option, but sometimes you just have a need for speed that can not be denied. ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
jmcqueen,
I use a Valentine One, first Generation (V1 Gen1), with BT sound alerts to my helmet. The trouble these days is all the noise on the K-band from cars (lane assist, etc). The new V1 Gen2 is supposed to be better at rejecting the K-band noise, plus BT is built into the unit (I have to use a dongle with the V1 Gen1). I'll probably trade in for the Gen2 next year.

The cardinal rule is to never be the point. That's the only way to escape from a LIDAR attack. At least it's tougher to get a lock on a motorcycle.

In Europe, they mount the LIDAR on a tripod. Then the LIDAR operator radios ahead and another officer flags you down with a red-dot sign for you to pull over. Pay on the spot. 🙁

·
Super Moderator
7,259 Posts
jmcqueen,
I use a Valentine One, first Generation (V1 Gen1), with BT sound alerts to my helmet. The trouble these days is all the noise on the K-band from cars (lane assist, etc). The new V1 Gen2 is supposed to be better at rejecting the K-band noise, plus BT is built into the unit (I have to use a dongle with the V1 Gen1). I'll probably trade in for the Gen2 next year.

The cardinal rule is to never be the point. That's the only way to escape from a LIDAR attack. At least it's tougher to get a lock on a motorcycle.

In Europe, they mount the LIDAR on a tripod. Then the LIDAR operator radios ahead and another officer flags you down with a red-dot sign for you to pull over. Pay on the spot. 🙁
Hmmm, yeah, bummer. :rolleyes:

Hey, @Triac? Welcome to the Forum!

Feel free to introduce yourself at the New Member Introductions area of the Forum.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts