Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
I looked into these and don’t think the juice is worth the squeeze. I check the guards every time I wash the bike and oil the chain and have yet to see a crack in the stock guards. I‘ve had mine for three seasons now and do quite a bit of dirt with no issue.

I figure if they ever do crack and need replacement I may spend the coin, but not until then.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I used to run them on all of my sport bikes after getting holes in radiators on canyon, mountain or track day rides. The factory plastic units on the AT seem to do a good job so far. Been riding mine three years so far on street and dirt with no issues.

·
Registered
2016 Honda CRF 1000L Manual
748 Posts
Is there any sense in these? Has anyone had a stone through a radiator? The plastic std guard has large gaps in its lattice.
On my recent ride through Colorado, mostly off road, the bash plate and the front of the bike were hit numerous times with many small and some sizeable stones, several the size of baseballs. This happened many times each day. These hit the frame, the pipe guards I have and, I suspect, the radiator guard. I was even hit in the helmet twice by marble sized rocks thrown up by the front tire. I have a Rugged Roads radiator guard and am glad I do. Even a small puncture in the core will ruin your motorcycling day. If you do ride off-road without a good radiator guard you might want to carry a tube of liquid steel to try to patch any holes before you lose too much coolant.

I'm not familiar with the standard guard your bike has but it will surely stop some events. Just keep in mind that a more rugged guard (sturdy, smaller holes, etc.) will stop more events than a flimsy one. YMMV based on the bike you're riding and the type of riding you engage in.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
On my recent ride through Colorado, mostly off road, the bash plate and the front of the bike were hit numerous times with many small and some sizeable stones, several the size of baseballs. This happened many times each day. These hit the frame, the pipe guards I have and, I suspect, the radiator guard. I was even hit in the helmet twice by marble sized rocks thrown up by the front tire. I have a Rugged Roads radiator guard and am glad I do. Even a small puncture in the core will ruin your motorcycling day. If you do ride off-road without a good radiator guard you might want to carry a tube of liquid steel to try to patch any holes before you lose too much coolant.

I'm not familiar with the standard guard your bike has but it will surely stop some events. Just keep in mind that a more rugged guard (sturdy, smaller holes, etc.) will stop more events than a flimsy one. YMMV based on the bike you're riding and the type of riding you engage in.
Yes, me too. Most of my riding is road and gravel. I installed the Alt Rider radiator guards soon after I got my AT. Glad I did; cheap insurance. I've already seen a few little dings on the guards from gravel strikes.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I installed alt riders rad guards. Im in the desert southwest, lots of debris kicked up by the front wheel, cheap insurance IMO. I put one on my kaw z900rs too. I wish I had seen the Ali express verson before I made my purchase! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts