Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am one of those who has never been happy with the front end on my AT. I always found the front end to be "bouncy" and lacking in feedback. I tried many adjustments and considered even more, to the point of maybe even going to a 17 / 19 wheel combination. To address this issue I changed out the fork springs with some from Cogent and replaced the fork oil. The spring change resulted in a vast improvement in the reduction of the "bounciness" and diving while braking. But I still found that ripples and waves in the road upset the stability of the front wheel, and that's pretty much all of the roads around here. The front end was to light and easily deflected. The bike did not have the stability I like or the ability to corner with confidence without continuous small steering corrections. So yesterday I raised the forks 6mm in the triple trees and am happy to report that the front end is much more stable, with better feedback and a greatly reduced tendency to be upset by the poor condition of the road.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I find riding downhill on gravel roads with marble-sized gravel to be disconcerting on this bike. I have also changed out my front springs and oil and improved things but will also try your suggestion - thanks for posting.
Bob

·
Registered
243 Posts
If raising the forks in the triple tree addressed it, have you tried before just maxing the preload to raise the rear to see if it had the same effect?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've set the sag and it was close. I'm a xxl and weight 255, my rear preload is maxed. A shock upgrade or at least a new spring is on the to do list, but at this point I'm pleased with the results.

·
Registered
425 Posts
BOUNCE BOUNCE, MY front wheel hits a bump then bounces up & down, I would like to have 3” of front travel instead of 81/2”. The 21” wheel should be replaced with a 14” wheel, this should stop the BOUNCE 👍👍👀

·
Registered
243 Posts
I've set the sag and it was close. I'm a xxl and weight 255, my rear preload is maxed. A shock upgrade or at least a new spring is on the to do list, but at this point I'm pleased with the results.
My At rides smoother with my gf onboard (200lbs+110lbs) and I set preload to about 3/4 to max. I've read somewhere the stock spring is for a 160lbs rider. I'm still hesitating to change things on the suspensions. Though when I ride solo its a bit harsher than I would like, 2up it rides really nice and even front bounce is less pronounced when riding with a passenger. I could certainly improve comfort by a 10%, but I could also end up messing it up hehe I deally I'd have the rear spring beefed up, valving redone to reduce high speed damping and forks resprung.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am one of those who has never been happy with the front end on my AT. I always found the front end to be "bouncy" and lacking in feedback. I tried many adjustments and considered even more, to the point of maybe even going to a 17 / 19 wheel combination. To address this issue I changed out the fork springs with some from Cogent and replaced the fork oil. The spring change resulted in a vast improvement in the reduction of the "bounciness" and diving while braking. But I still found that ripples and waves in the road upset the stability of the front wheel, and that's pretty much all of the roads around here. The front end was to light and easily deflected. The bike did not have the stability I like or the ability to corner with confidence without continuous small steering corrections. So yesterday I raised the forks 6mm in the triple trees and am happy to report that the front end is much more stable, with better feedback and a greatly reduced tendency to be upset by the poor condition of the road.
Phew, am I 'happy' to read that you have (had) this problem too. I have been fine-tuning for the last two weeks straight, adjusting preload, rebound, compression etc, with 0 results, almost crashing on the highway after completely *******-up the geometry of the bike and I ended up just being a whole swearing vocabulary richer...

I am going to try what you did, raising the front 6mm, BUT.. just to be sure... did you raise the forks, so that they now stick out 6mm on top (thus lowering the bike a bit)?

Many thanks in advance!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, the forks now stick out of the top by 6mm. Easy enough to reset back to stock if you don't like the change.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I put stronger fork springs in and lost stability at high speed. Later I put a strong spring on shock and stability returned. You need to replace all three springs at once even if you don’t change the valve damping. It’s a serious safety issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
102 Posts
I put stronger fork springs in and lost stability at high speed. Later I put a strong spring on shock and stability returned. You need to replace all three springs at once even if you don’t change the valve damping. It’s a serious safety issue.

Or change only the rear spring with a stronger one, as I have done. It is mainly the rear spring that is found wanting at 82.5N/mm, especially for riding two-up with luggage.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Yes, the problem with the front forks is.... the rear shock!
Put some firmier shock there, and you'll have a completely different bike under your butt!
Actually when you raise the forks you just mitigate the basic SAG problem you have. If you solve the SAG problem, you'll have a bike with the correct set up without having to raise the forks.

·
Registered
287 Posts
You need to find a suspension guy with one of these and knows how to use it, the stock suspenders on the AT can be turned into a magic piece of machinery with the correct springs and the correct tuning for both front and back. Any good shop will have a dyno like this that they can build a set of suspenders that matches you and your riding style to the bike settings. Dave at Suspension Matters here in QLD records the output from the Dyno to your customer file logs everything he has done on your setup and if you want an adjustment (before the last trip I wanted much faster rebound on the front ie -2 on the clickers) he dials that in and records it. If you are going to spend any money on the AT suspension, setup is where it should go, there is no need to replace it with aftermarket stuff, a good shop can make it work wonders. http://www.suspensionmatters.com.au/index.html

Attachments

·
Registered
228 Posts
I gave my weight with panniers/Tools/Me on the bike and the sag at maximum pre-load to Cogent Dynamics. I couldn't be happier with the result of their work both front and rear. Front forks are set below stock adjustment and pre-load varies from 20-25 clicks depending on what I am doing, leaving 10 clicks for traveling gear. Life is good!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Raising the forks is going to make it want to dive into corners - not a good thing once you are off pavement.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is front tire pressure - what do you have it set at? To high can make the front end bouncy and skittish/harsh.

If it is better when riding two up - then is it also better if you sit further forward?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts