Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I drove up to Johns home to test ride his AT which is shod with a 19" front and 17" rear using Conti Attack 2 tyres.
Being a bit of a wet day, I took to the unknown roads with caution as it was not my bike. But still did get a firm idea of the setup and was highly impressed.
Unfortunately I could not see Johns indicator as he rode behind due to his bright headlight and missed a couple of turns which we ended up going further than his normal route.
The result is that I will order a set on Monday, very impressed with the whole time there, we also have the same working background which also made it interesting to hear how he machines up the hubs.
Brilliant time and thank you John for the experience of what perhaps Honda is missing out on. Not every one wants to ride off road with this bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just had confirmation from Ups that my Rally Raid wheels will arrive tomorrow.
What excellent service from John at Rally Raid. Don't get many companies like that sadly. Glad to do the business, thanks John and Co.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thinking of going down the same route myself, and I would be interested to hear how you get on with them when fitted.
In particular any issues with the mudguard and sidestand, and how much more difficult it is to get the bike onto the centre-stand.
Also, did your insurance company have any issues with this "modification"?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update on Rally Raid wheels. Once all the oe parts were attached to the new wheels, I then balanced them.
Tyre is slightly rubbing on inside of the front fender but if you centralise the guard it is free but only be a few thou.
I tend to not concern myself on that one as it will soon make its own clearance.
Centre stand just as hard as before to get up, perhaps a little heavier but still doable.
Side stand was a concern but its incredible once you turn up the preloaded, it's perfect.
Coming from a toolroom background, I can honestly say that the build quality is first rate. Nice to know that a lot of design work went in and its made the bike so good on the road, Honda missed out by not having an option on wheels for this bike as it would be easily a 50/50 split on sales.
The speedo reads 2 mph fast which is much better than before.
I know that from reading and seeing utube that this bike performs brilliantly off road. Something I may never do, so would expect some criticism on what did I chose this and not a wealth of other bikes with 19 and 17 wheel configuration.
But the truth is after 46 years in the saddle, I know what I like and this is the best combination for me. Superb road holding, back to my normal speed around the twisties and the ride is so confidant you want to ride for longer.
Seat height is better for now and I can nearly place both feet on the ground albeit bent feet.
I am made up with this setup, it's made my day, no hassle build, absolutely brilliant.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
i plan to do the same set up with 29"inside leg im using the low seat with my atas so this wheel combination will suit me also not planning on going off road the reason i went for the honda is best looking adventure bike fantastic tank range and not over run with electronics also great value for money
i would like to get the wheels done before my dolomites trip next august so plenty of time , thanks for the update been watching this post with interest

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hold on lads, just encountered a problem which I will have to contact rally raid about. Bike rides like a dream, gearing on the dct is a bit off. Seems like when riding in traffic slowly, the gearbox goes into the next gear and rattles like chain slack. It labours and clack about. If I select S, it's gone! I think it's just a sprocket issue so will report back if and when it gets sorted.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think your bike looks great with those rims, and I imagine it handles more like a sport bike now with the 19". Congrats, and hope you get you DCT issue sorted.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just had a thought that my torque wrench at home did not feel that it is at the same poundage as the company one. So my gut instinct is that it's the rear cog that maybe loose. I'll bring the one from work home and hopefully that will cure the problem.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
At this point, the sprocket tightness was a little under 100 NM.
Problem is still there. Been advised by RR to try the standard sprocket and see if it stops the clanging.
It's appears that the gear change points are effected and if it's not corrected will sadly have to return the wheels.
Best ride I've had on this bike. Still ill try it on the weekend and let you know the outcome.

·
Registered
2 Posts
At this point, the sprocket tightness was a little under 100 NM.
Problem is still there. Been advised by RR to try the standard sprocket and see if it stops the clanging.
It's appears that the gear change points are effected and if it's not corrected will sadly have to return the wheels.
Best ride I've had on this bike. Still ill try it on the weekend and let you know the outcome.

Any news about the DCT problem ? Have you sorted out ?

·
Registered
184 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well - I am now coming up to a year (March) on this combo from RR on my 17 DCT - 3/4000 miles - never looked back and no problems.
John

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, still waiting for the new revised wheel. Should be end of this month or into the next.
Having the stock wheel on the back, doesn't inspire any confidence. Cannot wait for the rear to arrive.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just recieved the rear wheel. Fresh tyre fitted as well.
Fitting it today and then can let you know what the result is.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The result was, it is brilliant. No more chain snatching, all as it should.
Can recommend this setup now.

·
Registered
49 Posts
ok im confused... but thats not hard...

If you don't want to take it off road at all and want to make the change to road sized wheels (and more power to you - obviously nothing wrong with that)... why would you keep the spokes? As opposed to hassle free alloys I mean?

·
Registered
61 Posts
ok im confused... but thats not hard...

If you don't want to take it off road at all and want to make the change to road sized wheels (and more power to you - obviously nothing wrong with that)... why would you keep the spokes? As opposed to hassle free alloys I mean?
My own thoughts on this are. Which alloy wheels are available ready to fit the AT DCT in 17/19" or any other wheel size combo? There probably aren't any that don't require some custom fixes to fit ie axle /bearing spacers, disc spacing, cush drive setup, ABS rings .

That and it would look weird imo.

·
Registered
31 Posts
im going to go the same route , alloy wheels would look horrible compared to spoked on this bike they do them in gold as well so will look standard

·
Registered
134 Posts
I had John do my 19/17 wheels with gold rims and having done a few hundred miles since fitting them I've found exactly the improvement I expected for my hard earned. Contis felt scrubbed enough after 50 miles to take it to the edge of the tyres, no front end push or hopping over small stones and lumps at the rear.
No whitelining or overbanding now and best of all the little puncture repair kit under the seat will probably get me home in the event of a puncture.
Real stainless spokes and proper tubeless rims on a bike that has do its duty on the blacktop in the UK, deserts and gravel roads are a little thin on the ground here so the off road capability for us is a moot point in my opinion.
Some will say why buy a trail bike in the first place in the UK, all I can say is regardless of its intended use I'll always attempt to turn my bikes into the most useable to suit the conditions we find here in the UK.
Some might think I have more money than sense but nothing could be further from the truth, the wheels and tyres together cost me a month's wages after tax so not just a whim on my part.
Blatting down bumpy and unclassified roads on a trailie is a blast and this type of bike suits my needs more than sports or custom and more to the point the looks alone swayed my decision to buy.
I like it, end of.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts