Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all!

I got a set of Rally Raid wheels and put some Continental TrailAttack 2 tires on. The main goal of the mod was to convert the bike to tubeless and to prevent spoke corrosion.

Wheel shipping to the USA was very quick, I bought them on a Monday morning and I think by Saturday the wheels were at my house.

After a trip to my dealer to mount the tires on the wheels, I used my Saturday morning to do the wheel swap.

It was really straightforward. The brake rotor, ABS sensor and cushion drive fit perfectly on the RR wheels. The whole assembly feels slightly heavier on the RR set, but I am not sure by how much. I was able to fit and torque down everything to spec without any issue.

The finish of the wheels is perfect, I am very picky with my vehicles and "OEM looks" and I think the set looks great on the bike. To be honest I like the OEM wheels color a little better (semi-gloss), but the RR gloss black is much easier to maintain and touch up when necessary.

I took it for a ride yesterday and the Conti tires really transform the bike. I can feel the grip now, even at freezing temperatures. With the Dunlops I was never able to really feel the front of the bike.

Overall I think it was a good purchase, the tubeless sealing is guaranteed for 4 years (4x more than the bike itself). Also, it has 36 spokes compared to 32 on the OEM and they are made of stainless steel.

PS: My old wheels with the stock tires are for sale at http://www.africatwinforum.com/foru...82-oem-black-wheels-tires-sale-400-miles.html

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
Nice. Did you go with the low (19/17) setup, or standard?
How much much was shipping to the States?

thanks.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very nice, i was on their website the other day checking out these wheels, just can't decide which route to go down yet. ( RR / Outex OEM or Alpina )
I chose Rally Raid because of these reasons: (some of them very personal and may not apply to others)

- Their reputation in the CB500X community is outstanding
- Alpina wheels are sealed using an O-ring per spoke, I feel more confident with the Bartubeless polymer. I have no scientific support for this claim, it is just what I think is better.
- Bartubeless sealing warranty is 4 years. Any company that offers a 4 year warranty on their products know what they are doing.
- Cheaper than Alpina
- Compared to the Outex+OEM: the spokes on the OEM wheels will rust, I don't have the time or will to deal with this later. Also, I can sell the OEM wheels while they are still shiny.
- Compared to the Outex+OEM: the front wheel does not have a security bead.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts