Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Be careful. Bike ran out of fuel yesterday despite the range saying I had 11 miles left.

Had been on a spirited 300 mile ride down to the coast and back. Planned to stop at a service station on the M1 but the engine coughed and died about 1/2 mile short with 11 miles still showing on the range. It was a bit dodgy pushing over to the hard shoulder before I had lost my momentum. As the bike rolled down to 20mph the engine spluttered back in to life and at a crawl I made it to the services.

Very un Honda like whom I would have expected to have another 10 miles or so AFTER the range showed zero. Be careful.

Attachments

·
Registered
229 Posts
On the positive side at least you know your range now.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
819 Posts
Indeed, interesting. Based on your receipt it appears the tank was empty. As PTwin indicated, possibly ~12 miles left is your new zero. Nevertheless, once you hit below 20 miles, start to sweat it.

I don't think I have even pushed a Honda that close to empty, but maybe a few times to "40 kms left" (25 milies). I always seemed to have about two liters left.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lesson learned. I will treat 20 as zero. This is a bit thirstier than my 1000 AS which would do 300 miles on a tank. 260 is what I managed on this one yesterday. Not a problem but good to know. The bike is awesome and a step up from the 1000. Cruise control alone would justify the change.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Lesson learned. I will treat 20 as zero. This is a bit thirstier than my 1000 AS which would do 300 miles on a tank. 260 is what I managed on this one yesterday. Not a problem but good to know. The bike is awesome and a step up from the 1000. Cruise control alone would justify the change.
Is the bike engine still being "broken in"? If so, economy should improve by 3 to 5K.

Maybe the new larger tank on the 2020 requires a bit more firmware tweaking by Honda? That is, one would rather hit zero with a quart of fuel left versus nothing. Or, maybe Honda has a problem drinking the remaining "quart" of fuel using the new larger tank? Dunno.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I can't be bothered with any messing about. The warning light comes on and that's my cue to call in at a petrol station at my earliest convenience. There's no need to take it to the limit in the UK, where, unless you are in the wilds of Scotland you are never really much more than 10 miles from a petrol station. I've read more times than I care to remember on this ere forum that it's a very bad idea to allow the bike to run dry. I don't know how true that is, but I'm not prepared to risk it.

I bought my bike to ride... Not push it along the roadside. (Strange but true)

·
Super Moderator
1,140 Posts
It’s an “average” issue as in all vehicles that give a range or DTE. It’s not exact because it uses an average fuel economy.. The problem is; is that fluctuates, but since that data points accumulate and you compound that data as time goes on that data point stays stagnant. Think of it as like comparing a daily fuel average and monthly and yearly. They would all be different if you figured them out yourself, so you can have a day where you get say 20mpg but your monthly is 25mpg and yearly is 28mpg. Unfortunately the bike doesn’t differentiate it will go with the max length of time average from the last time it was reset. Resetting the average more often will give you a better “average” and thus a better and closer range estimate. But it is till just a average and will not be exact because the fuel economy very widely when riding.

In short: It ends up being a ESTIMATE of when you’ll run out of gas, not exactly..

·
Registered
141 Posts
Pushing fuel is tricky. I gave up that game years ago. Get the gas in her. Pushing bikes up the road is not acceptable in 2020 unless it's a Harley. (No apologies!)

·
Registered
824 Posts
That's an interesting issue. Maybe as the bike gets run in a bit that will change.
Mine did the opposite. I rode at "---" for about 40 kilometres before I had to push. ;) Got over 420 kilometres on that tank. Luckily, I just had to push it off to the side of the road and a buddy was carrying extra fuel.
I usually flip the setting over to view the fuel remaining when it gets low. When you're less than a gallon (4 litres) you know that you should plan a stop.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I’ve still got this issue. Had a fuel sensor changed and it’s still doing it. It’s a real shame because I’m constantly on edge at soon the the last block starts flashing at me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Does the last flashing block reliably give you 50 to 80 kms at conservative riding?
No I would guess a maximum of 25 miles. So maybe 40 Km?
I’ve run out at 26 miles. But also as low as 18 miles. But it’s never gone to the three dashes it’s supposed to when it gets to a litre left.

·
Super Moderator
1,140 Posts
Once you get the first indication that it's very low, why do you not just get fuel then?
Personally when I’m traveling I reset my GPS to warn me at 80 - 100 mile before Bingo, and I’m pushing..
In remote areas it’s a stop-n-top policy at any gas station I come across. Top off the tank,water, & food. Lol even if I’m only putting 3-4 bucks into it.

·
Registered
819 Posts
For touring in the unfamiliar, tank top-ups are done on a "common-sense" basis. Best to be conservative - never run out unexpectedly.

For routine daily travel, I have very often in recent past run well into the reserve prior to landing at my preferred stations. This is really about knowing your machine, and your riding behaviour for the day. Example: It would be often to arrive at a gas station when Honda is indicating to me that I have "25 kms of range" left. I keep testing the lowest end of the truth.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Once you get the first indication that it's very low, why do you not just get fuel then?
Because the bike says I’ve got 45-50 miles of range then and luckily where I’m riding I’m never than far from a fuel station. I tend to start looking at around the 20 mile mark, but now twice I’ve been left pushing it at more than that showing on the range.
Basically, don’t tell me I’ve got 50 miles when I’ve actually only got 25/30.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts