Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
There definitely could be a problem with AT sensors, or the sensors over time. The other possibility is the design of the tank. Maybe Honda can't get a decent final "milestone" read of the fluid level when very low in the tank. It is an odd shaped tank. Finally, maybe Honda is just too lazy to fix the issue (hardware and/or software) on the AT.

I definitely had no problem on the Honda CB1100 and NC750X. I ran down those "normal shaped" tanks to The Final Countdown maybe, ... 100's of times? When I filled the tanks, the amount I filled by the pump's measurement was typically exact to the bike's fuel consumption (in my case measured in liters), and sometimes give or take half a liter. (1 U.S. gal = 3.8 L)

In any case, I will be doing the same on the AT once the world wins the war.

·
Super Moderator
969 Posts
I honestly don't know what the answer is, and maybe the accuracy varies bike to bike, much like the temp sensors. Mine always reads 2F higher than my wife's and neither is correct :)

But I do believe that if you use Fuelio or a similar app to calculate fuel economy and do math on remaining fuel vs what the Africa Twin states your remaining range is at fill ups, it will vary in accuracy. Or at least that's been my experience.

But I won't say none are accurate. I have no way of knowing that. I can only say none of the 3 we have owned have been :)

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I honestly don't know what the answer is, and maybe the accuracy varies bike to bike, much like the temp sensors. Mine always reads 2F higher than my wife's and neither is correct :)

But I do believe that if you use Fuelio or a similar app to calculate fuel economy and do math on remaining fuel vs what the Africa Twin states your remaining range is at fill ups, it will vary in accuracy. Or at least that's been my experience.

But I won't say none are accurate. I have no way of knowing that.

RE temp sensor:

So far I am unimpressed with Honda's AT implementation. Mine seems to read much higher - sometimes - and I suspect it has to do with sensor placement. This is Product Validation "1-oh-1" and the Italian bikes seemed to have gotten this right over a decade ago. I will say, however, the temperature appears to be okay when cruising, but I am still weary of the inconsistency.

·
Super Moderator
969 Posts
RE temp sensor:

So far I am unimpressed with Honda's AT implementation. Mine seems to read much higher - sometimes - and I suspect it has to do with sensor placement. This is Product Validation "1-oh-1" and the Italian bikes seemed to have gotten this right over a decade ago. I will say, however, the temperature appears to be okay when cruising, but I am still weary of the inconsistency.
Agreed. My ATAS is worse than my '16 was for some reason. It (the '16) read about the same as my wife's '17, which in turn was about 2F high over actual temp. My ATAS reads about 4F high on average.

The placement of the sensor doesn't look like it would be that bad and it seems to be the same location on the AT and ATAS, so I am not sure what creates that discrepancy.

BMW's tend to be fairly accurate as well, as do KTM.

It generally isn't a huge deal. I mean I do the math much as I do with speedo error when I don't have the GPS mounted. I really only pay attention to it in winter to make a rough guess as to when roads may begin to refreeze. But a little more accuracy and consistency would be nice.

I don't know if there is a way to adjust an offset with an OBD tool? Probably not. Has anyone had theirs replaced and found the replacement more accurate?

41 - 44 of 44 Posts