Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*RANT*

I'm new to the ADV world and the first thing I noticed was how expensive the aftermarket parts are. Even the asking price on used parts aren't all that far away from retail prices.

Obviously the ADV community isn't as big as the sportbike community, hence the hike in prices. I'm pretty sure other factors like the economy and companies outsourcing and what not plays a role in inflation.

Or does it?

Sales in 2015 and first half of 2016 revealed a slight increase in almost every category. Yet ADV aftermarket part prices remain high, if not continues to grow. Supply and demand? Plenty of demands. Doesn't mean the prices has to be so high. Sheesh!

I don't make much but at the same time I don't make little.

Granted I've spent $$,$$$ every year racing but that's one of the reasons why I stopped. Sadly, all that money now just gets poured into my house. The price of owning a house I suppose.

I'm willing to bet if this sport (ADV) wasn't so expensive more people would be buying/participating in it.

Sorry for the rant...I just made a list of things I want/buy/need and it's so **** expensive! I'm just a cheapass. :grin2:

·
Registered
124 Posts
I make a lot of my own parts so I'm very familiar with what goes into the manufacture of aftermarket parts. If you want quality you will pay for quality. If you want to save a $ or 2 then get access to a machine shop, learn to weld, and off you go.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, so with your experience in making your own parts explain to me why the prices for the Outback Motortek Crashbars keeps going up? Oh let me guess...the quality went up by adding stamped ribs on the bottom.

Or is it greed from the manufacturer to stay competitive?

I understand the whole paying for quality parts argument. That's not what my rant's about. My rants more about what one pays for quality parts in the ADV world is far more than one in the sportbike community for basically the same part, to an extent. Why? I really believe it genuinely comes down to greed. To get the most out of us since there's just so few of us.

All I'm saying is it's just really sad to see these manufacturers milk the ADV community like that.

BTW, I wish I had access to a machine shop, time to learn to weld, etc. But for now I"ll spend my time ranting on forums. ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I may have something of an answer for you... just from one builder's perspective. I have to make products that fit properly. They also have to be from the best quality materials and machine work that I can provide. These parts are typically made using lighter and stronger alloys and those metals are expensive. They can also be a real bugger to work with requiring special (expensive) cutting tools that wear out way too fast. If I sold a jillion moto widgets per year then we could outsource to China and hope for the best. But I don't. We do it right here, one piece at a time.

The off-road moto world is a tight knit group and news travels fast these days. We stand behind our products and will 'make it right' with every customer regardless what it takes. There are numerous marketing companies that import the cheapest items possible. Their approach is a volume game and customer satisfaction is usually irrelevant. That market will always exist and a lot more money gets made that way than I'll ever see. That's OK. There will also be (I hope) a market for quality. It's incredibly flattering for me when folks buy something I've designed and built. I truly wish I could just give some stuff away to folks who really appreciate it.

Like any other business, we have to make a profit to keep the machines running and making payroll every Friday. When you add up all these little bits and pieces, stuff ends up costing a lot more than I wish it did. I know this may not be a very good answer but it's an honest one from where I am.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I personally wouldn't say the ADV market is a lot more expensive.
IMO, Yes, there are quality and costly parts out there, but that's because they are quality and well made (mostly).

Aftermarket parts for a lot of the other bike sigments are cheaper because those parts can mostly fit onto a wider range of bikes, therefore, making them accessible to a lot of people, hence, cheaper in the long run. On top of that, once parts are widely used they tend to be made cheaply, or copied, may it be in Asia or else where.
The ADV is a small piece of the pie in the whole of the many different bike sigment, the unique designed required by its users will always make it a little bit more costly, but over all, I think it's justified.

·
Registered
20 Posts
These aren't so bad, check out prices for bags on a Harley

·
Registered
287 Posts
You basically get what you pay for and I think it's because there's less aftermarket parts competitors to keep the prices down. You'll see a ton of Honda CBR aftermarket companies but not too many for the AT.

Sure, I'd like it if everything costs less but then again, I originally started getting into bikes knowing full well that owning one and modding them isn't going to be cheap.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Manufactures will get the highest price that the market tolerate. We want their products, they want to make a profit. No sense in making products that consumers cannot afford. We are all in different boats financially. I can afford a AT, but buying a Ducati Multistrada or BMW GS1200 would put my finances in a pinch I can afford all kinds of after market products for a variety of bikes, its just the various bikes that make it difficult.

Answer me this. How does HD charge twice more for a big, ugly, under powered cruiser, with minimal technology, as opposed to our beloved AT? A coworker bought a new HD for $28K and has 78 hp. Nice bike of you like trucks and big demand for that bike/truck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts