Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have ordered the "Rapid Bike Easy" for my bike recently, after reading all the information I could find about it.

It connects between the O2 sensor & the CPU which only makes the bike run with a more ideal fuel mix (AF) range.

This should just lift the lean setting for Euro 4 & make the bike run better. Apparently the bike also runs a bit faster with smaller throttle opening which makes sense.

The unit is plug n play with original OEM type loom plug inserts which is good for reliability..

Installation is easy too, no need to remove the tank, just the seat & some.., to route the wire loom down to the O2 sensor.

I think this is a cost effective clever idea, without tampering too much with the stock bike & making it run better.

Just to add, there is a mode setting on the unit for stock or decat.

The unit is shipped & I am excited to feel the difference.

Anyone install one of these? If so, what is your opinion of this unit?

I do apologise for resurrecting an old thread, but Euro 4 on my 2017 model somewhat dulls the true performance a bit..

·
Registered
480 Posts
I fitted one, they are very good. If you find your engine is very snatchy at low revs this is a low cost and easy solution to fix it. It does nothing noticeable for the mid/high end so don't buy it for that or some horsepower boost, that is not really its function. Fitting time 10-15 minutes and no need to remove the tank etc. This is a real simple solution, there are no reflashing or mapping changes to be done and any DIY'r could fit this themselves.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I fitted one, they are very good. If you find your engine is very snatchy at low revs this is a low cost and easy solution to fix it. It does nothing noticeable for the mid/high end so don't buy it for that or some horsepower boost, that is not really its function. Fitting time 10-15 minutes and no need to remove the tank etc. This is a real simple solution, there are no reflashing or mapping changes to be done and any DIY'r could fit this themselves.
My 2017 model is not snatchy to speak of.., it runs well in lower rpm. I shall see what it does for me in low to mid, which is the only place I would like to have a bit more throttle response.

I have read that some bikes see good results with this unit..

·
Registered
480 Posts
My 2017 model is not snatchy to speak of.., it runs well in lower rpm. I shall see what it does for me in low to mid, which is the only place I would like to have a bit more throttle response.

I have read that some bikes see good results with this unit..

I don’t think you will see anything mid range, nothing for me but I never found the mid/high end to need improvement in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
112 Posts
Sounds like something that will improve my DCT, my only quibble with it is slow speed manoeuvring can be a bit tricksy.

·
Registered
119 Posts
This sounds very interesting. My 2017 DCT is definitely snatchy at very low speed. My better half has left plenty of scuffs on the back of my helmet to prove it.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
So where can you get these for the CRF1000 in the UK. None of the resellers are listing the CRF1000 as far as I can see
Mike

·
Registered
480 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Honda dealer in Abingdon, Oxon got mine in for me. I would say pretty much any Honda dealer can source one of these for you. The distributor in the UK is performance parts. https://www.performanceparts-ltd.co...or-for-rapid-bike-electronic-fuelling-modules
Hi Eltel62,

Do you know if this solve (or helps to solve) the hip-cup issue, that many guys complain about?

I'm one of them, and honestly I'm starting to be pi##ed with it.
Till now I'm not aware of any solution from Honda for the hip-cup issue for CRF1000L.

Thanks.
Antonio

·
Registered
480 Posts

Do you know if this solve (or helps to solve) the hip-cup issue, that many guys complain about?

I'm one of them, and honestly I'm starting to be pi##ed with it.
Till now I'm not aware of any solution from Honda for the hip-cup issue for CRF1000L.

It did reduce the popping and farting on deceleration by a large margin (70%-80%) but did not totally get rid of it. From what people are describing I'm thinking this hiccup issues is something a little different? I have experienced it twice I think (in 18 months) and stalled at a set of lights as a result, both times were with the RBE fitted. I have had the battery disconnected a few times previous to and post of the RBE fitting and that made no difference at all to me.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi sorry all, I had not time to install the Rapid Bike Easy yet & I also have problems finding both settings : "Setting" & "Fuel Ratio" for the Africa Twin. Does anyone have these settings?

The box had no instructions for setting the unit for the AT., so I have mailed support @ dimsport for some info, I have not as of yet received anything..

Very interesting, I have a late 2017 model purchased in August.

I have noticed something quite interesting, many times when I start the bike from cold it idles for about 4 seconds as per usual & then sounds like a short misfire, it then immediately starts idling better & a tad faster. It is almost as if the fuel ratio is increased or the idle speed adjusted slightly higher.

someone else notice this?

Mine has never cut out, the moment it has a misfire blipping the throttle, it seems to get out of stalling.. They might have updated the ECU somewhere down the line without us knowing..

It is still annoying though, don't like fuelling flaws like this..

For you who have cut outs THIS COULD BE FATAL pulling out to cross oncoming traffic..!!!

There are enough people having this issue here to warrant a proper investigation & a FIX for this problem!!

·
Registered
480 Posts
I had not time to install the Rapid Bike Easy yet & I also have problems finding both settings : "Setting" & "Fuel Ratio" for the Africa Twin. Does anyone have these settings?

Africa Twin Specific Settings for the RBE are:Trimmer No. 1 (on the left) set to 2 for a stock exhaust or 1 if you have an aftermarket.

Trimmer No. 2 (on the right) set to +1

The Green LED shows the state of the device.

LED off=not powered
LED on= powered, O2 sensor cold
LED flashing=powered, O2 sensor hot, the device is working.

After fitting when the bike was cold, turn on ignition, should get green LED, start engine and warm up until green LED starts to flash (I had to go for a spin to get it hot enough), close plastic cover, never touch again, just enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi thanks

I finally got a reply from Dimsport Support yesterday, they sent me a proper installation manual with all the settings for the AT.

It is the same as you have stated.

When I have the time after work any day soon, I shall install it quickly & check what it does for my bike.

·
Registered
119 Posts
So Africano,

How did the Rapid bike Easy perform?

Do you feel it picks the front wheel up more easily under hard acceleration? To me, this part of the bikes performance has always been a little disappointing for a 1000 cc bike.

Cheers,

Wadeo

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Wadeo

This weekend is going to be the moment of truth, I shall definitely post my findings..

Yeah, I don't think Honda wanted to have the power that enthusiastic for these bikes, since it is a adventure bike for dirt, linear throttle control was probably more the aim..(which they achieved)

It would have been good if they had just two basic settings on the manual, sport & standard which would liven up the bike on tar.. Like my Yamaha Tracer MT09 I traded for this bike. (no need for rain mode)

Do not get me wrong, it is a GREAT bike for what Honda made it for, on gravel & off road it's shines. It even corners great in passes I found with the OEM standard dunlops.

No one, I SAY NO ONE must tell me it is not good on tar & twisties, if everything is right (fork tubes properly aligned & axle seated correctly, bars straight) the bike is very flickable, stable & balanced in tight corners even with the standard settings!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Finally fitted the Rapid Bike Easy

The differences are subtle:

Idles a dash stronger

Feels like there is a little more pickup to accelerate through the gears. (motor feels a bit creamier)

It maintains higher speed with smaller throttle opening in top gear better.

There is less popping on deceleration.

I still had a misfire once on blipping at idle.

There is definitely an in improvement..

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Update..

I am still evaluating the Rapid Bike Easy..

Day 5 now.

1. Definitely idles better from cold start (no compensation after a few seconds) It also idles more consistently.. (use to sound like it is skipping a beat sometimes..)

2. Off the mark feels smoother & more powerful. (when I start off up hill on my drive way, I definitely use less feathering to get going)

3. I would say that the misfire is even less frequent than it use to be. (I had very few to begin with, bike never cut out..)

4. Deceleration is definitely a bit less on closing of throttle (it does not decelerate as much as it use to, shall have to use a tad more braking to have the same result..)
This is probably due to the idle being a bit more energetic if I could put it that way.

5. When you change gears rapidly with good rpm round 4k it picks up the power a bit quicker to drive the next gear.

6. It is definitely easier to run at higher speeds between 160 to 180km/h which I reach on my daily commute.., less throttle effort required even when it's windy, seems to accelerate easier on smaller throttle openings.

Adding to my previous posting & more riding experience with this unit, I shall say the overall fuelling is better but nothing profound.

My opinion is that it takes a bit of the Euro 4 bite out without having a negative effect on the stock bikes operation.

The Rapid bike evo shall probably give you the extra bite you would like to get if you are into really upping the performance on this bike.

Definitely a personal choice, I think I have achieved what I wanted for my bike, which is little less bite from the Euro 4 restriction.

Personally the way my bike runs now, it is great for what it was designed for..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts