Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 227 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Installation instructions pretty straight forward as could be seen in attachment from the dimsport support team.. Interesting to note: After i have probed the inline oxygen sensor i found that the 3wires are reconnected straight through & only the one wire is not. There are 4 wires that connect a oxygen sensor. 2 for the heater & 2 for the signal - & + signal. So they are taking the + signal voltage & manipulating it coming from the sensor through the Rapid bike evo unit to the bike's mcu. The other interesting thing is they are not reading the throttle position pot on the handle bars, but the butterfly position voltage.(see page 6) This probably makes sense since the butterfly opening dictates the fuel air mixture..

Attachments

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Unit installed & motor running good for start & warmup. Not an easy task round the injectors & map sensor, had to fight the looming to get the plugs off the injectors.. 😓 .. just did air filters replacement & Rapid bike Evo install. You have to be very careful lifting the tank & disconnecting all the plugs & fuel line.. instilling the tank again likewise.. I must say the plugs are of high quality very much like the OEM plugs, so it's looking good from that side so far. Looking forward to ride the bike this weekend & allow the auto learn to modify the map.. I was told by Dimsport SA to ride it a couple if weeks & then download my map to see what was modified & at what RPM. This shall show where exactly the mixture has been limited.. They say it tends to be modified in the low to mid range area of the rev range..

Attachments

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok all, this is an honest opinion since i was a bit skeptical about the performance increase.. 😲YES, wow it does immediately make my low to mid end better.. after about 50km of riding the DCT just keeps pulling & pulling up to 170km/h with a steady slow roll on.. I have noticed less enjine braking too. Still have to ride on gravel with the settings i usually run at, & see if i need to make a tweak there, but wow the bike runs smoother aswell when rolling on the throttle.. The thing that amazes me is the positive buttery feel of power when turning the throttle just a bit more than where it is.. It feels closer to a triple motor for those who have ridden triples.. They told me the EVO is a slow learner, but if this is the way it starts to learn, it is going to go from great already to fantastic.. Ps. mostly rode in only D drive for now, shall check the other like S & gravel modes on gravel over the weekend.. Truth is i enjoyed the D mode so much i did not even go to S. Is it worth the dosh, for the EVO? Yes!! I tried the Rapid easy on my previous AT & that made very little difference with only 02 manipulation.., this EVO obviously is a totally different animal.. I am experiencing what the AT could have been without the Euro 4 & i must say, the standards are robbing some of that extra which makes a bike much more enjoyable.. I shall keep posting my experiences, but so far, if you have dosh to throw, go for it (y)

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nothing other than rapid bike evo & new OEM airfilters for 24k service scheduled..

·
Registered
407 Posts
Nothing other than rapid bike evo & new OEM airfilters for 24k service scheduled..
Where have you been my friend all this time :):):) .... It is more than a year I seek someone that has installed Rapidbike Evo on a stock bike! Keep posting your observations pls. Also on the consumption if any difference.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
😄 yes I know what you mean, I have searched extensively for someone that has shown the install & given propper feedback of performance after.. I took a bit of a chance purchasing this unit, but I am PLEASANTLY surprised! The 2018-2019 ride by wire models are not bad but , wow what a upgrade for enjine liveliness with the evo.. Shall keep updating..

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Great news Africano that it works. Now could you buy a MCC cruise control and fit that please 😄 I have the MCC working on my 18/19 crf1000L but I suspect that it uses many of the same connectors that the EVO would want to tap into (and there's not much space left under my pillion seat now because that's where the MCC is)
Mike

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
If there is a will there is a way.. 😁
I suspect you need the speed sensor only.. check my installation file attached here & see what connections are common to the cruise control.. see where I have mounted the evo, Is the cruise control unit that big?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
If there is a will there is a way.. 😁
I suspect you need the speed sensor only.. check my installation file attached here & see what connections are common to the cruise control.. see where I have mounted the evo, Is the cruise control unit that big?
I've sent the rapidbike installation file to the guys at MCCruise and I'm sure they will let me know if there is a conflict. I see you have mounted the EVO - I might have room there if the wires for the MCCruise don't cross and take up that space. Mind you I use the seat in the low position so it might be tight. The Mccruise is a small unit, and both it and the evo would fit under the passenger seat, but it's the chunky harnesses of cables that would probably mean both couldn;t be located there.
By the way - are the insurance companies in your country OK about you fitting the Rapidbike? I fitted a Powecommander and had to pay £70 per year loading on my premium (well actually I didn't because I took it off because it didn't work).
Mike

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I also set my seat to lowest position & I have guaged that there is more space than you think.. as you can see I have my air-pump under the passenger seat, so i put the evo under rider seat.. if you have a dct the wiring is quite a challenge under the tank.. but manageable. If you ride my bike & feel the heavenly constant power, you would mount it on the dashboard if you have to.. 😁

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So all, yes the learning feature is DEFINITELY WORKING!! The bike is running even more powerful in the low to mid rpm range . My real honest opinion is that the evo has done something that I had not expected.. it has basically matched the latest 1100 AT AND exceeded the throttle response a tad.. The fantastic thing about this is, IT'S A STOCK BIKE GUYS!! Standard filters & exhaust. I do not know what it shall do on a non ride by wire model but probably also be a satisfactory improvement.. The only thing I have noticed is a increase in fuel consumption, but I have been unable to ride it normally today, the power response is intoxicating 😛.., hence the increase.. 😄 Shall ride it normally at a later stage to check what the difference is.. If I had to guess, would say it has increased by 25% with my spirited riding today. SO YES IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT GET THE EVO!! Euro 4 is robbing us of MUCH MORE ENJOYMENT. Haven't done gravel yet, had too much fun on pavement today, passes are a blast with buttery power out if the turns.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I think the fact that the miles per gallon is worse, proves to me that the EVO is doing what it is supposed to do. I tried the Rapid Bike Easy, and at first I thought it was making a difference, but then realised that it was just the normal day to day tiny variations you get (probably due to atmospheric conditions). So it was all in my head. And what proved it to me was that the fuel consumption was exactly the same - which it couldn't be if the device was richening up the bottom end.
Hope the MCC guys say that it could be fitted alongside their gear, cos I couldn;t do without my cruise control now, and if I could cure the grobbelly running at low revs, this would be my absolutely perfect bike.
Mike

1 - 20 of 227 Posts