Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

181 - 200 of 227 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I don’t understand
What’s the different with my set up?
If you mean why is yours good on low rpm fuelling and mine is not, then I don't know the answer and I am still investigating. If you mean what's different about the fuel filter problem, then it's because the standard bikes have a different tank from the Sport bikes and only the Sport bikes have the problem with the crap coming off the welds in the tank.
Mike

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you mean why is yours good on low rpm fuelling and mine is not, then I don't know the answer and I am still investigating. If you mean what's different about the fuel filter problem, then it's because the standard bikes have a different tank from the Sport bikes and only the Sport bikes have the problem with the crap coming off the welds in the tank.
Mike
The first one.
Bad in low rpm.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
The first one.
Bad in low rpm.
I have been looking up possible causes of rough idle but the only two things I have found are a failing TPS O-ring, and a failing spark plug wire. (and Africano's suggestion about valve adjustment). But my problem with all of these is that surely they would affect the bike at higher revs, and the bike is brilliant with the EVo at everything from 2000rpm upwards. So I may have to conclude that it's just me being too fussy. But it would be great to have you guys film the Rapidbike display on your monitor and tell me if your idle rpm varies by as much as mine (12% variation over the course of a couple of seconds)
Mike

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have been looking up possible causes of rough idle but the only two things I have found are a failing TPS O-ring, and a failing spark plug wire. (and Africano's suggestion about valve adjustment). But my problem with all of these is that surely they would affect the bike at higher revs, and the bike is brilliant with the EVo at everything from 2000rpm upwards. So I may have to conclude that it's just me being too fussy. But it would be great to have you guys film the Rapidbike display on your monitor and tell me if your idle rpm varies by as much as mine (12% variation over the course of a couple of seconds)
Mike
Send me a message.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #189 ·
Mike
Hi Mike, have actually looked & listened to my idle VERY CAREFULLY now for you. Cold start run : idle round 1700rpm solid no deviation at all.. enjine Ridden Hot for 30 min: idle at round 1350 no hunting or deviation in closed loop at all. I guess this is good news for me & not so good news for you.. Bike is smooth & linear at low low speed , low rpm .. Just to reiterate, I am also fussy with jerky crap at low rpm chuckling along in traffic, & hope this confirms that not all bikes seem to be alike I'm afraid.. THEY SHOULD BE...!!!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Hi Mike, have actually looked & listened to my idle VERY CAREFULLY now for you. Cold start run : idle round 1700rpm solid no deviation at all.. enjine Ridden Hot for 30 min: idle at round 1350 no hunting or deviation in closed loop at all. I guess this is good news for me & not so good news for you.. Bike is smooth & linear at low low speed , low rpm .. Just to reiterate, I am also fussy with jerky crap at low rpm chuckling along in traffic, & hope this confirms that not all bikes seem to be alike I'm afraid.. THEY SHOULD BE...!!!
Yes - it's back to the question of whether your bikes (in SA) are supplied to the same emission standards as ours in the EU and UK. If not it might explain matters (my previous '17 bike hunted at idle - which incidentally seems really to be somewhat lower than the bike's rev counter would have us believe. Have you checked it on the Rapidbike software as it seems to be about 150rpm lower than indicated.)
Mike

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #191 ·
Yes - it's back to the question of whether your bikes (in SA) are supplied to the same emission standards as ours in the EU and UK. If not it might explain matters (my previous '17 bike hunted at idle - which incidentally seems really to be somewhat lower than the bike's rev counter would have us believe. Have you checked it on the Rapidbike software as it seems to be about 150rpm lower than indicated.)
Mike
Hi Mike shall check rhe idle with evo next time I connect.. I am guessing by looking at digital rev counter could be a dash higher than mentioned but I think most important was to listen & check for some deviation or hunting.. .

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #192 ·
Ok all very good news!!! My fuel consumption with standard map has gone down quite a bit . My tank range for full tank has increased from 245km to 290km. Before evo it was 311km on a fill. I just had a enjoyable ride today, not to hard on the throttle only on few occasions.. This makes me quite happy & means that the evo is giving me great performance without taking away much of my tank range if I ride more normal. Riding normal with evo is anyway much nicer than the without. So from my side I am actually really VERY PLEASED with this mod & cannot imagine Riding this bike without the evo now..!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ok all very good news!!! My fuel consumption with standard map has gone down quite a bit . My tank range for full tank has increased from 245km to 290km. Before evo it was 311km on a fill. I just had a enjoyable ride today, not to hard on the throttle only on few occasions.. This makes me quite happy & means that the evo is giving me great performance without taking away much of my tank range if I ride more normal. Riding normal with evo is anyway much nicer than the without. So from my side I am actually really VERY PLEASED with this mod & cannot imagine Riding this bike without the evo now..!!!
the evo is updated in any case.
it is the same to go fast or slow.
He is filling in cells, when we circulate in that range of revolutions.
and the percentage that it carries.
then you can add parameters of 6, in 6%

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Yes you are right it is a much nicer bike to ride with the EVO than without. It now has creamy smooth delivery in the mid range.
However, I have discovered that the Honda computer full tank range 'flatters to deceive' 😄. When you fill up it might say 290km but try zeroing the trip meter. Pretty soon as you start riding you will find the predicted range remaining dropping by 2km for every 1km you ride. By the time you get down to a couple of litres left I suspect you will find that adding the km ridden, to the predicted remaining range is more like 250km (Mine ends up at about 272km, but I ride like a wuss compared to you by the sound of things 😄). When I discovered this I realised that maybe the computer was doing the same thing even before I fitted the EVO, I just never checked. So maybe the figure I am trying to compare it with (350km without Rapidbike), was a myth anyway. I will check this out when I get my map switch fitted.
Mike

·
Registered
8 Posts
@Mike. I think the South African version is also Euro4. Not entirely sure but there's a vid somewhere on youtube, think it was by ZA bikers, who modded an AT with full exhaust and an EVO.
He specifically mentions Euro4 - so since that bloke seems to have it all done be a professionals in SA i assume the euro4 remark is correct. You mention a while back you had one thing left to try: " I have got one last experiment to try and then I will give up and conclude that the lumpiness of my africa Twins cannot be cured by fuel-modifying units like the Rapidbike Evo and the Powercommander." curious as to what that is...

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #196 ·
Yes you are right it is a much nicer bike to ride with the EVO than without. It now has creamy smooth delivery in the mid range.
However, I have discovered that the Honda computer full tank range 'flatters to deceive' 😄. When you fill up it might say 290km but try zeroing the trip meter. Pretty soon as you start riding you will find the predicted range remaining dropping by 2km for every 1km you ride. By the time you get down to a couple of litres left I suspect you will find that adding the km ridden, to the predicted remaining range is more like 250km (Mine ends up at about 272km, but I ride like a wuss compared to you by the sound of things 😄). When I discovered this I realised that maybe the computer was doing the same thing even before I fitted the EVO, I just never checked. So maybe the figure I am trying to compare it with (350km without Rapidbike), was a myth anyway. I will check this out when I get my map switch fitted.
Mike
Hi Mike, i realize what you are saying.. I always reset both A & B trips when i fill to the plate. The prediction has definitely become about 45km more per thank with std map. I think it starts to build an average per the previous tanks as you go along.., yes i know the bike shall not get to 290km on the tank but it was round 245km before per average on a couple of full tanks. Let me put is this way i get 218km on the clock when the reserve light came on. I am pretty sure it was not like that for longer than say 3km, I continuously look at my dash out of habit since i was getting low on juice second last bar on the tank display. So i would say i am getting round 260 - 270km on a full to plate tank with settings to full power "Tour" setting on pavement. I can also see while i was riding that the drop from full all bars lit, has definitely slowed to the last bar riding the same type of route.. So yes, the consumption is not great but acceptable for me on this map setting now. The great riding experience is well WORTH the extra consumption for me. As i said, when i do a long distance trip with fuel being a major concern i shall just switch the map to standard when i get the switch loom..

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
@Mike. I think the South African version is also Euro4. Not entirely sure but there's a vid somewhere on youtube, think it was by ZA bikers, who modded an AT with full exhaust and an EVO.
He specifically mentions Euro4 - so since that bloke seems to have it all done be a professionals in SA i assume the euro4 remark is correct. You mention a while back you had one thing left to try: " I have got one last experiment to try and then I will give up and conclude that the lumpiness of my africa Twins cannot be cured by fuel-modifying units like the Rapidbike Evo and the Powercommander." curious as to what that is...
My final experiment will be to change the array of map cells from a 40 by 8 as it is now to a 30 by 10. That will allow me to make a lot finer adjustments at the bottom end because I can have columns for 0%, 2%, 4% 7% 10% ... then jumping up by the normal amounts that the EVO uses.
A Google search throws up that South Africa intended to adopt Euro regulations but then didn't
Mike

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #198 ·
My final experiment will be to change the array of map cells from a 40 by 8 as it is now to a 30 by 10. That will allow me to make a lot finer adjustments at the bottom end because I can have columns for 0%, 2%, 4% 7% 10% ... then jumping up by the normal amounts that the EVO uses.
A Google search throws up that South Africa intended to adopt Euro regulations but then didn't
Mike
As far as i know we fall under Euro restrictions, this was also mentioned by dealers here in SA. I do not think they send other bikes specifically to our shores, since we are pretty insignificant to the rest of the world.. So it makes sense what the dealers are saying here.. Parts & sales fall under the European banner here..

·
Registered
107 Posts
Redo it in video format (with your phone), upload to youtube, post the link.

181 - 200 of 227 Posts