Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

241 - 257 of 257 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Mike, thanks for the update. Again, very much appreciate the updates you post. I have no answers but the extra fuel use is quite high I think. There's some crappy weather coming so I might finally install the evo on my AT but the more I think it over the more I doubt things will really improve but then again...who knows. Kinda regret buying it....impulsebuyingaddiction...
Is there a good reason the EVO doesn't show true fuel/air mix and throws out just numbers?
yes there is. In the manual it explains that run of the mill lambda sensors are variable and produced by several different manufacturers. I think they mean that the voltage produced for a given fuel/air mix varies between bikes. If a bike is fitted with a wide band sensor (eg for racing) then the Rapidbike module displays actual ratios.
They also say that lambda sensors are not very reliable at the bottom end where I am trying to sort things out. By that I think they mean that the voltages per fuel/air ratio could be inconsistent from moment to moment on a ride. This may explain my results above and would be pretty disappointing (but not Rapidbike's fault).
Mike

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Will - buy the switch - it's only £24, and allows you to change instantly between a nice map and the usual economic map (ie bigger tank range). And my update sounds a bit too gloomy. In the range I'm trying to correct 20-30mph on flat ground I think I have made progress at the top end of that - so 25mph is definitely a big improvement. I have also found that if I switch to S1 and Gravel (not the G button) then things are much better too. (That might also be the case with the OEM map - I will try it next time I'm out). There are two reasons for this improvement I believe. Firstly S1 is choosing a lower gear for the 20-30mph range, and maybe that's making me open the throttle slightly more than 1%, and secondly Gravel engine mode uses the slowest throttle ramp. In other words you have to turn the throttle more to get a given increase in fuelling than if the engine power is set to fast throttle ramp (level 1). I normally ride the bike with the throttle ramp set to level 1 because for me it transformed the bike compared to the previous non-RBW 2017 model that I had.
Mike

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #243 ·
Will - buy the switch - it's only £24, and allows you to change instantly between a nice map and the usual economic map (ie bigger tank range). And my update sounds a bit too gloomy. In the range I'm trying to correct 20-30mph on flat ground I think I have made progress at the top end of that - so 25mph is definitely a big improvement. I have also found that if I switch to S1 and Gravel (not the G button) then things are much better too. (That might also be the case with the OEM map - I will try it next time I'm out). There are two reasons for this improvement I believe. Firstly S1 is choosing a lower gear for the 20-30mph range, and maybe that's making me open the throttle slightly more than 1%, and secondly Gravel engine mode uses the slowest throttle ramp. In other words you have to turn the throttle more to get a given increase in fuelling than if the engine power is set to fast throttle ramp (level 1). I normally ride the bike with the throttle ramp set to level 1 because for me it transformed the bike compared to the previous non-RBW 2017 model that I had.
Mike
Just made me think, if i understand correctly..sorry for asking if you have done this.. Have you ridden the bike on power level 3 (lowest power setting) & checked if this improves the jerky stuff at low speed throttle on/off..?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Just made me think, if i understand correctly..sorry for asking if you have done this.. Have you ridden the bike on power level 3 (lowest power setting) & checked if this improves the jerky stuff at low speed throttle on/off..?
Yes - before buying the rapidbike I had tried every combination of power, mode, DCT options Gravel button etc 😄.
I'm just about to go out on a trial with 23% enrichening in all cells at the bottom end. But while I was warming the bike up I left it plugged in to the computer and after about 10 minutes unbelievably the autoadaptive started enriching one cell even more. Another 4% in a critical idle cell. I think idle is eventually going to max out in the Rapidbike as it only allows up to 30% enrichening. I left it running for so long at idle because I wanted to check it didn't stall. It didn't but neither did the idle sound any different from normal. The best adjective I have for it is 'irregular', but if you only listen to the exhaust it sound fine. if however you switch your mind off from that and listen to the more wooshy noise which is either the mechanics of the rotating engine or more likely the air intakes, then you can hear the irregularity .... and this is confirmed by the rapidbike software which shows the revs at idle varying, irregularly, between 1180rpm and 1360rpm despite the rev counter showing a steady 1400rpm.
I'm getting there though - last night's ride was noticeably different when switching between map1 and map 2 (the OEM Honda map). And Dimsport in Italy are being very supportive and helpful in my experimenting.
Mike

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #245 ·
Yes - before buying the rapidbike I had tried every combination of power, mode, DCT options Gravel button etc 😄.
I'm just about to go out on a trial with 23% enrichening in all cells at the bottom end. But while I was warming the bike up I left it plugged in to the computer and after about 10 minutes unbelievably the autoadaptive started enriching one cell even more. Another 4% in a critical idle cell. I think idle is eventually going to max out in the Rapidbike as it only allows up to 30% enrichening. I left it running for so long at idle because I wanted to check it didn't stall. It didn't but neither did the idle sound any different from normal. The best adjective I have for it is 'irregular', but if you only listen to the exhaust it sound fine. if however you switch your mind off from that and listen to the more wooshy noise which is either the mechanics of the rotating engine or more likely the air intakes, then you can hear the irregularity .... and this is confirmed by the rapidbike software which shows the revs at idle varying, irregularly, between 1180rpm and 1360rpm despite the rev counter showing a steady 1400rpm.
I'm getting there though - last night's ride was noticeably different when switching between map1 and map 2 (the OEM Honda map). And Dimsport in Italy are being very supportive and helpful in my experimenting.
Mike
ok cool if you have tried it.. I shall add that my bike is rock solid at idle once it is hot, no hunting.. Hopefully you can patch that issue.. 23% :oops: , wow that is allot..! This might make your fuel consumption go right down the toilet..😬

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Possibly but remember that 23% (27% now 😄) is only at 1% throttle, anything higher is way lower enrichment. Next time you have the bike connected up to the computer could you shoot a video of your rpm once the bike is warmed up. The home page of the Rapidbike software shows the realtime rpm in the top left.
Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #247 ·
Possibly but remember that 23% (27% now 😄) is only at 1% throttle, anything higher is way lower enrichment. Next time you have the bike connected up to the computer could you shoot a video of your rpm once the bike is warmed up. The home page of the Rapidbike software shows the realtime rpm in the top left.
Thanks
Mike
Will do (y)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi All

Good info here thanks all :)
Just fitted a map switch and enabled it.

Before fitting I started with the 2018 DCT standard map and allowed it to do a few corrections at 43 on the o2 sensor setting, so have now applied these corrections and have now loaded that to map 1. I've now upped it to 44 ready to auto adapt on my next outing (as I wasn't sure the difference between 43 and 42 would be worth having the switch?)

For map 2 I've loaded the totally standard 2018 DCT map with no corrections and set it up for auto adaptivity at 42 which I hope will let it learn my mods but keep a fairly lean map for economy.

Any views on whether I'm going in the right direction? The latest software version seems to allow auto adaptivity to be turned off on map 2 but while the standard map from rapid bike seems good I think its worth letting it correct slightly for my mods as below: ?

Bike is a TBW 2018 standard AT with full Akrapovic ie decat etc, but with baffles in.
Air filters are standard at this stage but I have blanked off the PAIR system.

Cheers all
Ben

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Hi All

Good info here thanks all :)
Just fitted a map switch and enabled it.

Before fitting I started with the 2018 DCT standard map and allowed it to do a few corrections at 43 on the o2 sensor setting, so have now applied these corrections and have now loaded that to map 1. I've now upped it to 44 ready to auto adapt on my next outing (as I wasn't sure the difference between 43 and 42 would be worth having the switch?)

For map 2 I've loaded the totally standard 2018 DCT map with no corrections and set it up for auto adaptivity at 42 which I hope will let it learn my mods but keep a fairly lean map for economy.

Any views on whether I'm going in the right direction? The latest software version seems to allow auto adaptivity to be turned off on map 2 but while the standard map from rapid bike seems good I think its worth letting it correct slightly for my mods as below: ?

Bike is a TBW 2018 standard AT with full Akrapovic ie decat etc, but with baffles in.
Air filters are standard at this stage but I have blanked off the PAIR system.

Cheers all
Ben
Sounds good to me Ben. I have Map 2 autoadaptivity disabled because I sometimes want to compare what the EVO has done to what the bike was like originally, but with your mods, it probably makes sense to keep it enabled. I haven't exactly worked out what the 42,43 and 44 mean other than they are targets of some kind. My map 1 is set as a target of 44. (and the 1% column is looking pretty alarming - most of the cells in the low range are now around 35% enrichment, but above 3100 rpm and anything above 1% throttle the enrichment numbers are in single figures ...... it's looking a bit too weird to be honest.
Mike

·
Registered
21 Posts
Cheers Mike

Admittedly not done many miles hopefully try it out some more over the weekend but this is after about 60-70 on map 1 @ 44 and only 30 on map 2 @ 42... all adaptivity values applied to the maps, so far though some fairly large changes on the rich map in the low to mid range at smaller throttle openings, the leaner map was just a few 1's and 2's with the odd 4 nothing larger.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
That's quite comforting Ben (that you are getting enrichment above 30% in some cells low down). By the way in case you hadn't picket it up the autoadaptive won;t try to do anything with the 0% column but the factory suggested to me that I manually put figures into it similar to what the autoadaptive was doing in the adjacent column.
Mike

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Ben - could you do the same test as I asked Africano please. Next time you have the bike connected up and after the engine has warmed up either make a note of the range that the rpm oscillates through at idle or ideally make a video because it's difficult to see it properly when the figures are changing so quickly.
Mike

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yep I'm a little shocked that its added that much in about 60 miles!
I may be wrong but it seems that the leaner map runs better in D mode than the richer one. The richer one is better in S2 where I usually ride though but perhaps a bit too punchy in places, see where it ends up though!
And yep no problem I'll grab a recording next time I'm out and link it somehow :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am receiving the Rapid Bike Evo Exclusive this week. I have read that some sensors are difficult to reach? This is on a 2018 US model. Any advice would be great! I plan on installing it this weekend. Thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ben - could you do the same test as I asked Africano please. Next time you have the bike connected up and after the engine has warmed up either make a note of the range that the rpm oscillates through at idle or ideally make a video because it's difficult to see it properly when the figures are changing so quickly.
Mike

Hi Mike

Just been out on the bike and recorded the idle RPM screen :

Regards
Ben

·
Registered
21 Posts
Also note the +41% now on the 5% TPS column!!

For anyone interested, UK/imperial MPGs:

Stock/standard bike (no RB evo) 59mpg
With Akrapovic slip on (no RB evo still at this stage) 55mpg
With full akrapovic decat etc and RB evo added running 44 on the rich/lean setting 49mpg (only 1 tank on this setup so far though so its still adjusting)
I'll run the next tank on the 42 lean setting and see if it makes much difference.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Also note the +41% now on the 5% TPS column!!

For anyone interested, UK/imperial MPGs:

Stock/standard bike (no RB evo) 59mpg
With Akrapovic slip on (no RB evo still at this stage) 55mpg
With full akrapovic decat etc and RB evo added running 44 on the rich/lean setting 49mpg (only 1 tank on this setup so far though so its still adjusting)
I'll run the next tank on the 42 lean setting and see if it makes much difference.
Interesting - thanks Ben. Your idle seems more stable than mine - in fact there's a few seconds in your video where it never moves. Your range seems to be about 100rpm whereas mine seems to be about 180rpm
That 41% is a lot, and it's not only at low throttle opening but only at low revs too.
I have had to give up on my map as it was just adding 15% every ride in that range. It was up to 53%, and that just seems crazy. I'm waiting for the factory to comment. In the meantime my possible plan is to build a complete range but with emphasis on the low revs and low throttle openings - so the intervals in columns and rows will get bigger as you go to the right and down. Currently I can't see how to have variable intervals on the rows, but the factory may have a way of doing it. I think once I get this framework built I will try setting the target as 43, because my fuel consumption is terrible compared with yours (30% worse on mine compared with about 10% on yours).
Mike

241 - 257 of 257 Posts