Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one try a rapid bike programmer from Rapid Bike/Dimsport?
Looks like they have three models. EASY,EVO,RACE.
Bike runs excellent, but do have a Arrow full TI exhaust and would like fine tune it.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've just installed the Rapid bike easy. Like the name implies, installation was very simple. The bike now has a stronger idle and I can't get it to hesitate/jerk at low rpm. Off idle response now feels like that of a carbureted engine, ie. **** smooth. All in all a great purchase. I run a stock exhaust btw. The rapid bike easy has a setting for standard and after market exhausts.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm no expert but my understanding is that the booster plug tricks the ECU to adding more fuel by telling it the temperature is 30 degrees lower than it really is. The Rapid bike easy is a little more sophisticated in that it intercepts the oxygen sensor output and adjusts it using a micro controller. I believe they both work well but the booster plug is a real bear to install (need to remove tank air box, some fairing ..) where the rapid bike easy requires almost no dismantling( Just the back seat and possibly the brake pedal depending on your bikes setup). They cost about the same so I went with the rapid bike option. I have removed the fairing once before when installing GPS power and a 12 V AUX power and swore never to do it again. It does not like to be removed..

·
Registered
479 Posts
I've just installed the Rapid bike easy. Like the name implies, installation was very simple. The bike now has a stronger idle and I can't get it to hesitate/jerk at low rpm. Off idle response now feels like that of a carbureted engine, ie. **** smooth. All in all a great purchase. I run a stock exhaust btw. The rapid bike easy has a setting for standard and after market exhausts.
Hoping to pick one up next week, were there any recommended settings on the dials for the stock setup?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hoping to pick one up next week, were there any recommended settings on the dials for the stock setup?
Yes. Make sure you get the latest version of the manual online. You can download it from the ruggedroads website. There are custom settings for the AT.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Rapid Bike Easy

Fitted my Rapid Bike Easy today, a little fiddley but not bad at all. I found lowering the bash plate on its hinges and removing the brake pedal helped a lot. It allows you to get your fingers in to release a little plastic clip that holds the current connection in place down by the o2 sensor. You need to release that connection from the bracket to be able to unplug it to insert the Rapid Bike cable black connectors, the bike has to be cold to do this for obvious reasons.

Once cabled in the instructions tell you to run the bike to get the o2 sensor hot which should flash the LED on the unit proving it is working and you close it up. Ten minutes later with the fan running on the radiator I had no flashing LED, just solid, in my case it needed a good ten minute run out on the road to get it to do so.

From start to finish it took me an hour, if I did it again probably 20 mins, no need to remove the tank. I only went for a short run but initial impressions are good, I am not really looking for more power, just trying to get rid of the low speed jerkiness of the engine which it does. I felt the pickup was smooth and strong but unless riding back to back it is difficult to be really subjective, longer rides will help me evaluate. Tools required, 12mm spanner for brake lever bolt (remove the bolt all the way, it keys onto the gear shaft), underseat allen key for bash plate (stock Honda).

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Fitted my Rapid Bike Easy today, a little fiddley but not bad at all. I found lowering the bash plate on its hinges and removing the brake pedal helped a lot. It allows you to get your fingers in to release a little plastic clip that holds the current connection in place down by the o2 sensor. You need to release that connection from the bracket to be able to unplug it to insert the Rapid Bike cable black connectors, the bike has to be cold to do this for obvious reasons.

Once cabled in the instructions tell you to run the bike to get the o2 sensor hot which should flash the LED on the unit proving it is working and you close it up. Ten minutes later with the fan running on the radiator I had no flashing LED, just solid, in my case it needed a good ten minute run out on the road to get it to do so.

From start to finish it took me an hour, if I did it again probably 20 mins, no need to remove the tank. I only went for a short run but initial impressions are good, I am not really looking for more power, just trying to get rid of the low speed jerkiness of the engine which it does. I felt the pickup was smooth and strong but unless riding back to back it is difficult to be really subjective, longer rides will help me evaluate. Tools required, 12mm spanner for brake lever bolt (remove the bolt all the way, it keys onto the gear shaft), underseat allen key for bash plate (stock Honda).
About to fit mine.

Great pictures!.....at first I thought you posted an updated install guide... the install pictures on the install guide provided from rapid bike are not good at all

how do you like it?

·
Registered
479 Posts
About to fit mine.

Great pictures!.....at first I thought you posted an updated install guide... the install pictures on the install guide provided from rapid bike are not good at all

how do you like it?
Agree on the install guide, hopeless, generic pics. ~100 km ride today, slow/medium speed country roads and busy town traffic, fantastic, great buy. Goes a long way to reduce low speed chugging if you find yourself in too higher gear inadvertently, clean pickup at low revs and almost totally reduces low speed jerkiness which was my main bugbear. A real and not imaginary difference and I genuinly mean that. I reckon MPG will be slightly down with an increased AF ratio but I am not bothered, the difference in the low speed engine charicterstics is worth it.

Who won't benefit from a Rapid Bike Easy? - the predominantly long distance highway cruiser/tourer. This unit will do nothing for you apart from a clean pull out of your driveway. Who will? - anyone who spends a lot of time travelling at low/medium revs, town speeds/commutes/rides off road and such like. I do like this simple mod. Overun popping and farting is also reduced somewhat but not totally eliminated although I never really minded that.

My bike is stock filters and exhaust with CAT in place.

·
Registered
5 Posts
About a month ago I installed the rapid bike evo exclusive. I have high flow air filters and remus exhaust, so the bike was running lean on fuel. There is an significant improvement on throttle response. Smoother and quicker.
In a group ride with othe AT we made the following test. In 3rd and 4th gear, at the same speed side by side, full throttle. My bike inmeditely was 6 mt ahead and slowly inceased the difference up to around 150 km/h. I am running a -1 front sproket, so both efects are mixed. How much is each one I can't tell. The gain on smoothness and quick response is thee anyway.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thank you "eltel62" for posting your experience and photos. It gave me confidence to tinker on my AT and got it installed. Your right, it is "fiddley" and feeding the cable and connectors down the right side under the seat, through the plastic and down to the O2 sensor took some patience! I did remove the brake lever but didn't touch the skidplate/bashplate. I didn't have enough time to fire it up, but that is the first thing I am doing in the morning. The installation instructions that come with the unit are useless and they don't even use pictures of an AT which is pretty confusing, but if the unit performs well, I am willing to forgive on the basis of the AT being a new model and these are the first batch to go on the market.

·
Registered
63 Posts
About a month ago I installed the rapid bike evo exclusive. I have high flow air filters and remus exhaust, so the bike was running lean on fuel. There is an significant improvement on throttle response. Smoother and quicker.
In a group ride with othe AT we made the following test. In 3rd and 4th gear, at the same speed side by side, full throttle. My bike inmeditely was 6 mt ahead and slowly inceased the difference up to around 150 km/h. I am running a -1 front sproket, so both efects are mixed. How much is each one I can't tell. The gain on smoothness and quick response is thee anyway.
I ordered the EVO Exclusive today. I have a Remus muffler that actually makes the bike run worse than with the stock one, and I want to get the matching header, but I didn't want to do those until I came up with a solution for the fueling. I believe this setup will do the job.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just a quick follow up to my install and test ride. The device definitely smoothed out the throttle response through the low and mid power band, which I liked. No noticeable change to the top end power, as the bike already hauls ass with an open throttle. However, the exhaust sounded like a bowl of Rice Crispiest... Snap, Crackle, and Pop! I run a Remus Okami slip on with the baffle cut off at the tip. Before installing the Rapid Bike Easy, the exhaust made moderate popping sounds upon deceleration. After installing the Rapid Bike Easy, the bike made noticeably more popping sounds, which I didn't like. The Rapid Bike module is set to the recommended trimmer(1) setting +1 for an aftermarket exhaust and trimmer(2) setting +1. I am not sure what to do now,,, live with the popping, put a new full length baffle in the Remus to decrease air flow/increase backpressure which would reduce popping, or trial and error with the trimmer settings on the module. Any thoughts gentlemen?

·
Registered
131 Posts
This is why i decided to get the EVO version which measures around 4/5 sensors 'continually' and adjusts itself to suit.

The 'easy' module only reads the lambda sensor i believe? but is less than half the price and an easier fit

Ian UK

·
Registered
479 Posts
This is why i decided to get the EVO version which measures around 4/5 sensors 'continually' and adjusts itself to suit.

The 'easy' module only reads the lambda sensor i believe? but is less than half the price and an easier fit

Ian UK
Yes, the easy is a simple solution with that one take off on the O2 sensor, fine for a stock bike I would suggest. It is also not really designed (in my opinion) to be some sort of magic power booster across the rev range. If you are going more in depth with mods with after market exhaust, de-cat, air side filtering changes etc. I would suggest the easy would do little for you. In fact if I was going on a long tour with a lot of high speed mileage I would be tempted to take it off or at least set the dials back to zero just to make sure I was getting max MPG.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts

Thanks for this info Eltel. It took me 90 minutes but I am useless at anything practical. Couple of ways I had to deviate from your instructions so I will record them here.
There was no way I could feed the cable (black plugs first) down from the top of the bike to the sensor. The plugs on both ends of this cable were too big to go through any of the obvious apertures. However the extension cable had two smaller plugs on one end so I was able to feed that down through a gap (had to temporarily remove a couple of pieces of decorative black trim from the side and rear of the tank). It means I have too much cable and plugs and sockets exposed to the elements below seat level, but I couldn't see any other way of doing it.
Also I have Eastern Beaver stuff under the rider seat so once the rapidbike box was squeezed in there too it all looks a bit tight. I may move the rapidbike box under the pillion seat when I'm happy it's all working.
When I switched on the ignition the green LED began flashing - it's not supposed to do this until the engine is hot. But when I started her up, the green led went steady and about 10 minutes later (stood in the garage) it began flashing. So I am assuming it's working and will report back tomorrow after a test ride.
I have a couple of general questions that I will ask in a new thread, just in case other owners who have already fitted their rapidbike Easy, are not reading about installation issues.
Mike

1 - 20 of 23 Posts