Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finished my Top Box Project.

I had an old el-cheapo top box lying around from my scooter days and thought I could use it on the AT.

The plastic mount platform was originally held to the scooter rack with bolts and "W" clamps, so would be totally unsuited to the AT rack. And as we all know, the AT rack mount holes are not exactly suited to "universal" accessories.

So, first task was to get my brother to spin up some adapters to fit in the rack holes (Thanks Dave!). They were then tapped 6mmX1 thread.

Test fit, perfect result.

Next was to get a support plate for the interface between the plastic mount and the rack, luckily my mate across the road cut me a piece of 2.5mm Al alloy plate (Thanks Sean!).

I dropped the adapters in the rack holes, put a drop of super glue on the top faces and then positioned the new plate on top and aligned it with my laser level (sitting on the petrol cap). Lifted it all of and "voila!".

Then a simple task to centre punch the positions and remove the adapters with acetone, drill 4 x 6mm holes for the mounting hardware. I used 6mm stainless machine screws to fasten the adapters to the plate and extender nuts with panel washers to hold it all the the rack.

The adapters were fitted to the plate and Loctited, then the plastic platform was fastened to the plate with 6mm stainless screws and washers/locknuts.

Now it's a simple 5 minute job to drop the mounting assembly into the rack, fit the four washer/nut sets and tighten up. The extender nuts make it much easier to put on and screw up rather than little standard nuts.

I was going to paint the plate black, but unless you're lying on the ground, or three years old, it's not really visible.

And a shot of the finished product (perspective makes it look bigger than it really is).

·
Registered
125 Posts
nice work. But, be careful how much you put in that case, particularly if going off-road and rough roads. There have been several reports of broken rear carriers from doing so. It can also be broken from a fall where the case takes the brunt of the impact and transfers the force to the carrier - Hard to tell from your pic how much the case overhangs on the sides. Maybe use nylon bolts so those break first - and carry spares. Ultimately, there is nothing but plastic supporting your case.
A better option would be to fabricate some brackets to support the rear rack from the sub-frame. If you look under the rack you will see an allen-head bolt on each side of the brake/tail light. Those secure into the steel subframe. A simple angle bracket, on each side, from there to one of your bolts above would help.

I think the rear carrier may have been reinforced for 2018 models.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback folks.
Regarding strengthening etc. I won't be doing any cross country/rough roads riding any more, I use the bike as a means of getting around if I need transport when our car is being used by the Mrs. And of course, just going for a ride when the urge takes me.

Max load would be some shopping, or a couple of helmets and a jacket etc, and due to the "quick fit" convenience it won't be on the bike all the time, only when I need the storage capacity.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts